Investigating the Wise Old Man

KCHughes

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, are you implying a kalphite assault on Draynor? Now, that would make a good quest. If it is going to be a quest, I hope it's Free To Play.

Kalphite... f2p... they don't really mix according to jagex :cry:

Well, they can always make exceptions. They have the power to. But it was an unlikely idea anyway. What level are kalphites? They might be too high for the theory to hold, as I hear that penguins are only a level 2.

Oh, and I was talking about the wrong wizard! It's actually Grayzag who seems to be evil, not Mizgog. Apologies if I confused anyone, I'm just awful at names. #-o

im surprised no one yet mentioned the book of the wise old man (aka dionysius) yet, the one found in swan song, it contains a lot of evidence

the young Dionysius was educated in Varrock, where records tell us that he regularly attended the local saradominist chapel. Local tradition has it that Dionysius led a band of young men to graffiti the Zamoriakan temple in the south of the city

it was expected that Dionysius would become a priest, but he seems to have had other plans....

there are a lot more of interesting points, but i cant be bothered copying them

Now then, we know of two people who can summon, and more importantly the WOM knows they can summon.

Also another reason to think that WOM is after summoning and what's'is'face is gonna learn even more. We know what's'is'face can summon imps. (try to attack him and imps pop up)

Firstly, I congratulate you on finding this evidence. =D> And I've also thought of another theory- could Mizgog and Maliginus be plotting together to bring down the Tower using summoning spells? Maybe the penguins are concerned for the safety of the Tower, so they sent the Wise Old Man over to stop Maliginus and Mizgog. Perhaps Mizgog had stored fake Life Runes in his bank for Maliginus, and the Wise Old Man went out to take them from him, via robbing the bank. So that's why he grumbles about needing runes! He needs to take those summoning runes from Mizgog! But, I also think that Mizgog will summon the Lesser out it's prison so it rampages through the Tower. Maybe he will also send in an imp army? This could be why the WOM has all those tinderboxes- he wants to blow up the summoning runes, as they may only be able to be destroyed a specific way.

Little imps using tinderboxes :P That just sounds funny, heehee.

I don't think WOM has any motive to destroy summoning runes. Maybe he might summon that guy who's skull is in the wiz tower? I don't think the quest told us who that ghost was. It might be a dedicated warrior of one of the gods?

What level are kalphites? They might be too high for the theory to hold, as I hear that penguins are only a level 2.

Kalphites range in levels.

Kalphite worker is level 28

Kalphite soldier is 85

Kalphite warrior is 141

Kalphite queen is 333

For some reason in the bestiary, Goat and Billy goat appear when I looked up Kalphite... awkward?

All the above is from tip.it's bestiary.

Now then, we know of two people who can summon, and more importantly the WOM knows they can summon.

Also another reason to think that WOM is after summoning and what's'is'face is gonna learn even more. We know what's'is'face can summon imps. (try to attack him and imps pop up)

Firstly, I congratulate you on finding this evidence. =D> And I've also thought of another theory- could Mizgog and Maliginus be plotting together to bring down the Tower using summoning spells? Maybe the penguins are concerned for the safety of the Tower, so they sent the Wise Old Man over to stop Maliginus and Mizgog. Perhaps Mizgog had stored fake Life Runes in his bank for Maliginus, and the Wise Old Man went out to take them from him, via robbing the bank. So that's why he grumbles about needing runes! He needs to take those summoning runes from Mizgog! But, I also think that Mizgog will summon the Lesser out it's prison so it rampages through the Tower. Maybe he will also send in an imp army? This could be why the WOM has all those tinderboxes- he wants to blow up the summoning runes, as they may only be able to be destroyed a specific way.

Little imps using tinderboxes :P That just sounds funny, heehee.

I don't think WOM has any motive to destroy summoning runes. Maybe he might summon that guy who's skull is in the wiz tower? I don't think the quest told us who that ghost was. It might be a dedicated warrior of one of the gods?

If the summoning runes are used to summon something evil and dark, then the WOM would have a lot of motive for destroying them. As a follower of Saradomin, he wants to make sure that no evil of Zamorak should walk the Earth. If Grayzag and Maliginus are planning to summon this... 'thing'... the WOM would obviously want to stop it happening. Hmm, what are the odds on a WOM V Grayzag showdown?

ETA:

Kalphite soldier is 85

Kalphite warrior is 141

Kalphite queen is 333

Thanks for that. Hmm, if the penguins are going to fight the kalphites, they'll need a rather big army if they are all Level 2's won't they?

im surprised no one yet mentioned the book of the wise old man (aka dionysius) yet, the one found in swan song, it contains a lot of evidence

the young Dionysius was educated in Varrock, where records tell us that he regularly attended the local saradominist chapel. Local tradition has it that Dionysius led a band of young men to graffiti the Zamoriakan temple in the south of the city

it was expected that Dionysius would become a priest, but he seems to have had other plans....

First: I know I could have put all these posts together, but I'm too lazy,lol.

Alright, on topic now... Dionysus is the Greek God of parties. Jagex usually uses names from history for their NPCs. Could Dionysius have lived a similar life to Dionysus? Here's a link to wikipedia's version of Dionysus. Click here

EDIT::::::::: I takte that back. Dionysius was actually someone in history... Here's the list of people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysius

This is from wikipedia:

The Greco-Roman name Dionysius, deriving from the name of the god Dionysos or Dionysus, was exceedingly common, and many ancient people, famous and otherwise, bore it. It remains a common name today in the form Dennis (Denys, Denis, Denise).

Among the persons known by the name Dionysius, some of the more famous were:

* Dionysius the Elder (or Dionysius I), a ruler of Syracuse in Sicily

* Dionysius the Younger, (or Dionysius II), son of the preceding

* Dionysius Periegetes, Greek geographer, 3d century BC

* Dionysius (ambassador), 3rd century BC ambassador the court of the Indian ruler Ashoka.

* Dionysius Thrax, Greek grammarian, 2d century BC

* Dionysius the Areopagite, an Athenian judge who was converted by Paul of Tarsus and became Bishop of Athens

o Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, (5th century) name given to anonymous writer, identified by some with a Georgian theologian Peter the Iberian (411ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ491), author of Corpus Areopagiticum (see also pseudepigrapha)

* Dionysius the Philosopher, (1560 ADÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1611 AD) an Epirotian Greek monk who led two farmer revolts against the Ottoman Turks.

* Dionysius of Halicarnassus, a Greek historian of the Roman period

* Saint Dionysius of Alexandria, 3rd century Egyptian bishop

* Saint Denis, Bishop of Paris, martyr (died ca. 250)

* Pope Dionysius (259ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ268)

* Dionysius Exiguus, (c. 470ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâc. 540) a Dacian monk who invented the Anno Domini era

* Dionysius Telmaharensis, (d. 848) a former head of the Syrian Jacobite Church

* Jacob Bar-Salibi also know as Dionysius Bar-salibi was a member of Syrian Jacobite Church in the 12th century, best know for his commentary on biblical texts

* Dionysius the Wise, (lt. 15thÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâea. 16th cen.) the Russian medieval icon-painter

* Dionysius I, Metropolitan of Moscow (c. 1300ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1385) a 14th century orthodox prelate

* Benjamin Musaphia (1606ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1675) a Jewish doctor, scholar, and kabbalist, who sometimes called himself Dionysius.

* Dionysius Lardner (1793ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1859) an Irish scientific writer

* Dionysios Demetis, musician

Maybe our Dionysius relates to one of them? Just like the wine seller outside the draynor bank is from a book?

Alright, on topic now... Dionysus is the Greek God of parties. Jagex usually uses names from history for their NPCs. Could Dionysius have lived a similar life to Dionysus? Here's a link to wikipedia's version of Dionysus. Click here

God of parties? Could that be anything to do with the WOM's party hat? He seems to be rather fond of it... maybe for other reasons than that it costs millions? It might relate to his history. Perhaps he worshipped Dionysus before he worshipped Saradomin?

God of parties? Could that be anything to do with the WOM's party hat? He seems to be rather fond of it... maybe for other reasons than that it costs millions? It might relate to his history. Perhaps he worshipped Dionysus before he worshipped Saradomin?

I doubt it. Since when did Greek gods come to rs? I think he's just a copy of Dionysus or one of the other names. (I re-edited the post and added what Dionysius came up with) Kind of like the brothers south of Rimmington. I think Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo were two of their names.

I doubt it. Since when did Greek gods come to rs? I think he's just a copy of Dionysus or one of the other names. (I re-edited the post and added what Dionysius came up with) Kind of like the brothers south of Rimmington. I think Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo were two of their names.

Since when were evil chickens worshipped by certain covens? I think anything can happen in a game. I mean, the WOM could end up being a follower of Zamorak and kill everything in the game.

Kalphite soldier is 85

Kalphite warrior is 141

Kalphite queen is 333

Thanks for that. Hmm, if the penguins are going to fight the kalphites, they'll need a rather big army if they are all Level 2's won't they?

Maybe the penguins team up with Bob? I know that was random so you can completely ignore it, lol.

If the theory that penguins have mind control over the Wise Old Man, then can't they take over any other being like greater demons, KBD, and maybe even KQ? That would greatly put the favors on their side, right?

EDIT::::::::: I takte that back. Dionysius was actually someone in history... Here's the list of people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysius

This is from wikipedia:

The Greco-Roman name Dionysius, deriving from the name of the god Dionysos or Dionysus, was exceedingly common, and many ancient people, famous and otherwise, bore it. It remains a common name today in the form Dennis (Denys, Denis, Denise).

* Dionysius (ambassador), 3rd century BC ambassador the court of the Indian ruler Ashoka.

* Dionysius the Areopagite, an Athenian judge who was converted by Paul of Tarsus and became Bishop of Athens

o Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, (5th century) name given to anonymous writer, identified by some with a Georgian theologian Peter the Iberian (411ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ491), author of Corpus Areopagiticum (see also pseudepigrapha)

* Dionysius the Philosopher, (1560 ADÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1611 AD) an Epirotian Greek monk who led two farmer revolts against the Ottoman Turks.

* Dionysius Exiguus, (c. 470ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâc. 540) a Dacian monk who invented the Anno Domini era

* Jacob Bar-Salibi also know as Dionysius Bar-salibi was a member of Syrian Jacobite Church in the 12th century, best know for his commentary on biblical texts

* Dionysius the Wise, (lt. 15thÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâea. 16th cen.) the Russian medieval icon-painter

* Dionysius I, Metropolitan of Moscow (c. 1300ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1385) a 14th century orthodox prelate

* Benjamin Musaphia (1606ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ1675) a Jewish doctor, scholar, and kabbalist, who sometimes called himself Dionysius.

Maybe our Dionysius relates to one of them? Just like the wine seller outside the draynor bank is from a book?

Why is the wine seller even there? Wine doesn't do much, and no one buys wine. Maybe this has something to do with the Greek god who is the god of wine and only connected with parties because that was was people had at the parties

RSN:Dark_Arcane5 P.S. if anyone knows an easy way to get up hunter from level 1-25, or farming from 9-25, p.m. me

Mysteries of the Wise Old Man

runemrune,Dark%20Arcane5.gif

Since when were evil chickens worshipped by certain covens? I think anything can happen in a game. I mean, the WOM could end up being a follower of Zamorak and kill everything in the game.

Haahaa, maybe Jagex is saving this quest for the downfall of Runescape and the opening of a new game, lol. Maybe they'll say, "The Wise Old Man was a double agent for Zamorak and after winning trust from his equals, he betrayed his new friends and destroyed Runescape. Not to worry though, Guthix was able to create a new world where all your accounts will be transferred. No items nor experience will be lost during the voyage to the new land. On this island live new monsters, new items, and new quests awaiting to be discovered. As proof of your voyage over, we will give you a medal of achievement."

Lol, that's just my thoughts.

This is from wikipedia:

Why is the wine seller even there? Wine doesn't do much, and no one buys wine. Maybe this has something to do with the Greek god who is the god of wine and only connected with parties because that was was people had at the parties

In the beginning, I thought it was just giving a reference to "The Cask of Amontillado" (read the short story in English class), but why would he make such a random appearance? I know alcohol can help ignite a fire. Maybe he's teaming up with Wise Old Man's tinderboxes to make a bigger fire?

Haahaa, maybe Jagex is saving this quest for the downfall of Runescape and the opening of a new game, lol. Maybe they'll say, "The Wise Old Man was a double agent for Zamorak and after winning trust from his equals, he betrayed his new friends and destroyed Runescape. Not to worry though, Guthix was able to create a new world where all your accounts will be transferred. No items nor experience will be lost during the voyage to the new land. On this island live new monsters, new items, and new quests awaiting to be discovered. As proof of your voyage over, we will give you a medal of achievement."

That made me chuckle. But you could be right. Wouldn't that just be the biggest turnaround ever? :XD:

In the response to the post above me, maybe the Wine Guy is actually a cleverly planted agent of Grayzag? Maybe he is going to team up with the Wise Old Man, but at the last second, betrays him and pours wine on the fire made by the tinderboxes, thus blowing up the whole Wizard's Tower, but first allowing Grayzag to escape with the runes. But the WOM is trapped and dies in the explosion.

That made me chuckle. But you could be right. Wouldn't that just be the biggest turnaround ever? :XD:

In the response to the post above me, maybe the Wine Guy is actually a cleverly planted agent of Grayzag? Maybe he is going to team up with the Wise Old Man, but at the last second, betrays him and pours wine on the fire made by the tinderboxes, thus blowing up the whole Wizard's Tower, but first allowing Grayzag to escape with the runes. But the WOM is trapped and dies in the explosion.

The problem with that is he can't die or else no one will be able to get any more quest capes or anything else WOM has to offer.

The problem with that is he can't die or else no one will be able to get any more quest capes or anything else WOM has to offer.

He could have a brother who is just as wise as him, and able to do what he does and give what he gives. Jagex could probably do anything with the WOM and find a way around it.

He could have a brother who is just as wise as him, and able to do what he does and give what he gives. Jagex could probably do anything with the WOM and find a way around it.

Or maybe WOM has a evil twin brother who does all that stuff, and we have a quest to find the real WOM and then he saves the day!!! (and then banishes his evil brother to the penguin island, where his brother will take over the penguins and blow up runescape?)

I like all the quotes this post contains ::'

Or maybe WOM has a evil twin brother who does all that stuff, and we have a quest to find the real WOM and then he saves the day!!! (and then banishes his evil brother to the penguin island, where his brother will take over the penguins and blow up runescape?)

That could actually be quite possible. Could Traiborn be the real WOM, but instead had his mind a bit muddled by evil WOM? Then again, if the WOM was evil, how would he use a Saradomin Strike? :-k I still however think this has something to do with an evil plot to bring down RuneScape between Grayzag and Maliginus using the power of summoning runes. And I think this thing they want to summon is a powerful agent of Zamorak.

I deleted the quotes in this post. I think some people would have been getting annoyed with having to scroll so far. Apologies for any inconvenience.

That could actually be quite possible. Could Traiborn be the real WOM, but instead had his mind a bit muddled by evil WOM? Then again, if the WOM was evil, how would he use a Saradomin Strike? :-k I still however think this has something to do with an evil plot to bring down RuneScape between Grayzag and Maliginus using the power of summoning runes. And I think this thing they want to summon is a powerful agent of Zamorak.

I deleted the quotes in this post. I think some people would have been getting annoyed with having to scroll so far. Apologies for any inconvenience.

I like that... or maybe trailborn and WOM are brothers, but it isn't WOM who is messing up trailborn but Grayzag?

Have you noticed that Trailborn's robes are a different color? What if Trailborn is the only surviving wizard of the original wizards? (after all he complains that he is old) He knows how to summon but doesn't use it. Grayzag has been slowly getting the information out of him, and so far all he knows how to summon are imps. (he has the lesser demon up there and he has slowly been learning how to copy it but imps are the farthest he has gotten.)

The WOM is old also, so maybe they are brothers and the WOM raided the bank to take his brothers diaries; so that Grayzag couldn't take them.

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

The books from the Wise Old Man's house are finally here. I typed them up because those were too many pictures...

The Myth of Elder-dragons

Although the Elder-dragons are generally considered to be a myth, stories tell of an ancient race that dwelt on Gielinor before any other. In some arcane way their lifeforce was linked to the life of the world itself; it is written that, as long as the Elder-dragons continue to live, the world shall not end.

However, skeptics claim that the myth of the Elder-dragons was invented to cast doubt on claims that this realm was lifeless until the gods first arrived.

The Origins of the Bird of Evil

Many are the rumours and tales surrounding this foul beast.

The earliest of these tales seems to date back to the time of the Mahjarrat. It is a story about a mad mage, who attemps to summon a demon and bind it to his will. Unfortunately, his spell failed and all that appeared was one confused chicken. In a fit of anger at his failure the mage banished the chicken to the abyss. The chicken however appears to have survived and grown in power. Years later, when the mage cast another spell of summoning, the chicken appeared! The story does not tell of what became of the mage.

Another popular tale tells of a chicken of higher than average mental ability. Realising that it and its kind were prisoners in their coops he organized a rebellion against the human farmers. The farmers, of course, simply slaughtered the rebellious chickens. However, the Evil Chicken escaped. Blaming its brethren for its coupÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s failure it swore revenge on all chickens and all humans.

The Chicken can strike anybody, anywhere. It is said that a coven worships this fell fowl and have even built a shrine to it. The exact location of this shrine is unknown, but is rumoured to be in the fairyworlds. Further rumour suggests that his lair may be reached by making a tasty offeringÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ whatever that may be.

Perception and Reality

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ which leads us to the new definition of knowledge as a belief that is both reliably generated and true.

Our senses tell us about the world, but to what extent are they reliable? One witness may perceive the weather to be hot, but another witness may consider to be quite cold.

Perception of colour may be similarly affected, as the reader may demonstrate by staring at a piece of brightly-coloured paper. When the paper is removed, the reader may find that everything else appears to be slightly different colour from normal.

We conclude from this that, although we are sensing some intrinsic property of the object under examination, qualities such as colour and temperature are NOT intrinsic.

Helceforth we recommend that the reader consider them to be Secondary qualities. The quantity of caloric within the object that gives it this perceived temperature truly is intrinsic to the object, so this may be considered a Primary quality. In the following chapter we will examine the implications of this distinction for the study of natural philosophy.

Certainty and Assumption

In this chapter we aim to examine the extent to which our senses give us a reliable impression of the world in which we live.

Although we may believe that we are seeing and hearing things that exist, we may be deceived by our senses, as every keen drinker will have experienced! But if our senses may be deceived, what can we trust?

We may perhaps try to rely only on logical deductions and mathematical principles. Yet it is even possible that some fiend may have confused our minds to the extent that we are making false deductions without being aware of this.

We therefore present the following statement as the only piece of knowledge about which we cannot possibly be deceived:

I EXISTÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢

Although all information gained through use of our senses and minds may be distorted, no self-aware being can be left to believe that it does not exist. It may not be the man or woman it believes itself to be, but it can never question its own existence in some form.

In the following chapter we will discuss ways in which one may attempt to demonstrate the existence of a world outside oneÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s own consciousness.

Graphical solution of mathematical problems

A simple graph containing an x-axis and a y-axis may be used to represent equations similar to the following:

x + 3y = 5

For every ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâxÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ and ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ that satisfy the equation (such as x = 2, y = 1 or x = 5, y = 0 for the above example), the points ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâx,yÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ may be plotted on the graph, and it will be found that they form a line.

If a second equation of this form is plotted on the same graph, the same graph, the two lines may cross at some point.

Any point where the two lines cross will be given by some ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâxÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ and ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ that fits both equations.

Readers are invited to create two such equations and try it for themselves!

This page left blank for readersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ comments

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ better now, walls look decent, nice and elegant. Those new lanterns were a rip-off, blasted dwarf craftsmen. Still not a problem for me!

Even got my old Saradomin armour gilded, beautiful gold edges on it now. No-one elseÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s going to have armour like that, thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll make them think, heh heh hehÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

Lick of gold-leaf here and there, even my globe looks smarter now, maybe that bath screen was a bit much? No, I saw it, I wanted it, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s mine. Vidi volui, mihi est!

Still donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t know what that ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâthingÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ is, but it looks nice on my desk. Probably some kind of transport? Must run off hot air of dragon flatulence?

Running a bit short of runes now. Those wizards over to the south always seem to have plenty, but will they spare me some? Bah! Not a chance, poxy mage scum!

Perhaps another little expedition is needed ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ they all look pretty weedy over thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

Rather interesting :-k

Well, about his brother it could be the mysterious old man.

There is only a one word difference, and he also knows how to summon things. I think it said he looked for stupid people to practice summoning with in one of the god letters

RSN:Dark_Arcane5 P.S. if anyone knows an easy way to get up hunter from level 1-25, or farming from 9-25, p.m. me

Mysteries of the Wise Old Man

runemrune,Dark%20Arcane5.gif

Well, about his brother it could be the mysterious old man.

There is only a one word difference, and he also knows how to summon things. I think it said he looked for stupid people to practice summoning with in one of the god letters

Humm... stupid people to practice summoning with, does that sound like Grayzag and his imps... Maybe WOM is trying to learn summoning now and he is practicing with penguins?

But what about the thing on his desk?

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?