National treasure/Uncharted

Lep

Did these types of clue-finding explorations ever happen? Were there multiple excavations to hard to reach places with traps and the sort?

I've always been fascinated in ancient history. Anything I'd be interested in?

The closest things to movie traps would be Egyptian traps. However, they were disabled/activated by previous treasure hunters.

The problem with clues is, you left looters to find out where your crap is. Burial sites had no written clues, as the religious folks taking care of it would know.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

NO.

If only real archaeology is as exciting as uncharted/tomb raider.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Hah, if only. It's very difficult to make a mechanism that will stay in its primed state for more than a few hundred years and cause someone injury. Rats and insects and gusts of air will pretty much set off anything, given enough time.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'm sure stuff like this has happened. It wouldn't be as glamorous, to be sure, but real life is often more insane than fiction.

Please explain.

That real life is crazy? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tB8Lf7YoU

People do this. Those are airplanes. I'd be nervous if I was that close to other cars.

Oh, and look up Percy Harrison Fawcett. His adventures were less of the videogame variety, and shows you how shocking reality is, but they were adventures nonetheless. Or, do some reading into the life of Vladimir Putin.

Now, National Treasure is kind of a silly example. I cannot speak for Uncharted (isn't that basically a handsome videogame Indiana Jones?). But there is crazy stuff out there.You just gotta find it. And deal with all the piles of [cabbage] that follow adventurers. For another example of crazy stuff that exists (I'm going with the work people do I guess, these are just examples that come to my mind): this guy does stuff with motorcycles.

So maybe archaeology is boring. Maybe. Or maybe it's really all kicking ass and dinosaurs and boobies booby traps!

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'm sure stuff like this has happened. It wouldn't be as glamorous, to be sure, but real life is often more insane than fiction.

Please explain.

That real life is crazy? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tB8Lf7YoU

People do this. Those are airplanes. I'd be nervous if I was that close to other cars.

Oh, and look up Percy Harrison Fawcett. His adventures were less of the videogame variety, and shows you how shocking reality is, but they were adventures nonetheless. Or, do some reading into the life of Vladimir Putin.

Now, National Treasure is kind of a silly example. I cannot speak for Uncharted (isn't that basically a handsome videogame Indiana Jones?). But there is crazy stuff out there.You just gotta find it. And deal with all the piles of [cabbage] that follow adventurers. For another example of crazy stuff that exists (I'm going with the work people do I guess, these are just examples that come to my mind): this guy does stuff with motorcycles.

So maybe archaeology is boring. Maybe. Or maybe it's really all kicking ass and dinosaurs and boobies booby traps!

Well, I agree that it's more insane - I just wanted to see why you personally thought so.