Beliefs, Religion and Faith.

Assume Nothing

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, but I can sympathize with the King's situation. Even if he wants to reform, the cultural norms make it very difficult. It's easy for us to say "he's not doing enough", but we're here in north america, sitting in armchairs. I'd hazard a guess that if we were in his position we wouldn't realistically be able to do much more than he's done already.

And I'd say this is more of a situation where "does the means justify the end?" :P

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Of course, but I can sympathize with the King's situation. Even if he wants to reform, the cultural norms make it very difficult. It's easy for us to say "he's not doing enough", but we're here in north america, sitting in armchairs. I'd hazard a guess that if we were in his position we wouldn't realistically be able to do much more than he's done already.

And I'd say this is more of a situation where "does the means justify the end?" :P

Hee hee -- "tomato tomato" as the song goes ...

... and yes it is easy to criticize the man for not doing enough, while questioning his motives for doing what he's done so far -- but he is sitting in a very awkward spot between fundamentalists who won't accept change and a growing populace who are demanding it ...

in some ways, you know, you almost have to feel a little sorry for the Wahabbi. I mean, yes they're basically Neanderthals -- and like the Neanderthals they're standing on the brink of an evolution that they don't want and aren't able to grasp and, likewise, may be unable to stop ... or not.

Okay - Sympathy for the Devil, anyone?

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

No, I am against it in practice. I want it abolished worldwide. I'm just not going to care when he is inevitably put on trial and sentenced to death for his crimes. I have better ways to occupy my time than to rally outside the Saudi Arabian Embassy calling for King Abdullah's life to be spared -- a completely fruitless endeavor.

No, I am against it in practice. I want it abolished worldwide. I'm just not going to care when he is inevitably put on trial and sentenced to death for his crimes. I have better ways to occupy my time than to rally outside the Saudi Arabian Embassy calling for King Abdullah's life to be spared -- a completely fruitless endeavor.

And is protesting outside the jail of Troy Davis, for instance, any less fruitless?

polvCwJ.gif

This seemed thought provoking.

Also - If you accept the existence of God, would you also accept the concept of destiny/fate? (I'm not sure if they're interlinked, correct me if I'm wrong)

The problem with accepting the concept of fate/destiny would be that it goes against the concept of free will, that everything starts with a choice.

This seemed thought provoking.

Also - If you accept the existence of God, would you also accept the concept of destiny/fate? (I'm not sure if they're interlinked, correct me if I'm wrong)

The problem with accepting the concept of fate/destiny would be that it goes against the concept of free will, that everything starts with a choice.

That's an age-old fallacy.

It's possible to believe in God without believing in predestination - indeed catholic doctrine indicates that God knows what will happen but chooses not to control it.

polvCwJ.gif

philosoraptor-meme-generator-atoms-and-particles-behave-in-probabilistic-ways-but-our-mind-is-made-of-atoms-and-particles-how-can-free-will-exist-01840f.jpg

And no generally believers think that though god is omnipotnent and basically knows what you're going to do you still have the total free will to make those choices, if there was no free will there'd be no justification for punishing those who misbehaved on earth. My thoughts on this generally

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

That video demonstrates the most awful representation of religious doctrine I've ever seen.

What parts? I don't see it, but if there's something that's bugging you I'd be interested to hear.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Oh, just most of the specifics about heaven, hell, and predestination.

Not to say he doesn't make some good points. It's just half of it can be easily refuted by a quick read of the catechism.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm dating a girl who is Christian and strongly believes in God and is very against abortion. On the other hand, I don't believe in God and I'm fine with abortion. I have not told her either of these things in the month that we've been dating. She's never really asked me about my religious beliefs so that hasn't been an issue. She has mentioned multiple times though that she would never get an abortion and I just kind of nodded my head and told her that it makes sense. Never mentioned that I have no issues with abortion though. I've been trying to steer away from the subjects any time that they come up.

I'm not sure what I would consider this to be (confesion, secret, or regret...).

Omission is betrayal, isn't it?

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I was dating a girl that was conservative christian. I'm atheist. It did cause problems after a while because she kept asking me to go to church with her and sooner or later you start running out of excuses why you can't go with her. Better get it out in the open now, before things get serious and unnecessary heartbreak is caused.

I agree that you should make known your religious beliefs right off the bat. Because it could definitely be problematic in the future. If a serious relationship evolves, religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are bound to play a huge role. For me, I don't think I could ever marry an atheist, not because I don't like atheists. Just because so many problems would come up (private or public school, going to mass as a family, teaching kids how to say prayer, differences in how to raise a family, etc). Nor would I want someone to pretend to not care about it, because that puts them in a difficult position where they're weighing you and their own beliefs.

I'm quoting this here because it serves as a better platform to discuss the issues of inter-religious marriages.

I don't personally see an issue with most of it - religious beliefs are not mandatory to be a good (moral) person, to live a good life, to love and be loved. Why would the idea of dating an atheist put you off? You may even find yourself in a position where you could persuade an atheist to follow Christian teachings - to me, that would feel like an accomplishment. This isn't to say that you should force it into the relationship, but I know that I wouldn't personally put that as an obstacle.

Being open to new ideas is still rather important in today's society, why shouldn't we be accepting of people with different religious beliefs? I guess it's a little different in America though, given that a vast majority believe in some kind of deity as opposed to not.

@Nom: look for a pm sometime this weekend. I've just been a bit busy.

@Skeptic: I think you interpreted my post in the wrong light. I have nothing against inter-religious marriages as long as the couples make it work. But I've seen many cases where, since the Catholic spouse is very serious about their faith, the relationship doesn't work.

I dunno if you could tell, but I'm a very serious Catholic, and if I dated an atheist seriously (and ended up marrying her), I'd do all I could to get her to follow my faith, simply because I'd love her so much that I'd want her to have as good of a chance to gain what I believe in as I do. And you can see the problem right there: what if she doesn't want to be converted? In that case, it would be the most difficult thing I'd have to deal with (and I'm being honest about this): I'd love her too much to not try my hardest to convert her; and this isn't just having her agree to 'believe'. I want her to believe because she's found it out for herself. If she does, I'll the happiest dude on earth. But if not... well, I dunno. I've just seen a case exactly like this, but the woman agreed to the faith and got baptized because she wanted to marry the man. 5 years down the road, she started second thinking, and now their going through marriage counseling because it's tearing their relationship apart.

And like we see in all these threads, if she's an adamant atheist, it wouldn't work.

Because of how serious about my faith I am, I don't think it would ever work. Not because atheists cannot be 'good people'. That's not what I mean at all. Because of myself, it wouldn't work.

If both people can work it out, that's great.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

ALG POST AND RUN TIME!

@ inter-religious marriages: It probably depends on how tolerant the individuals are. My mother's a (more or less) Catholic democrat and my father is either very cynical or an atheist, and a republican, and they get along fairly well. Of course, we as a family aren't particularly religious to begin with, and politics doesn't come up frequently, so that might help.

(Language)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19474_4-idiots-who-show-up-wherever-religion-discussed-online.html

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

*zooms off in a speedboat*

Regarding inter-religious marriages/relationships:

I wouldn't date a really religious person. I would date a Christian, a Muslim, a Sikh, a Mormon, etc, but only if they just identified with it culturally. Basically like a secular Jew or how most Catholics are. I also would never, ever, ever, date a pro-lifer.

Regarding inter-religious marriages/relationships:

I wouldn't date a really religious person. I would date a Christian, a Muslim, a Sikh, a Mormon, etc, but only if they just identified with it culturally. Basically like a secular Jew or how most Catholics are. I also would never, ever, ever, date a pro-lifer.

This, except the opposite for me. There are just some mentalities that can't effectively co-exist in such a close relationship as a spousal one.

polvCwJ.gif

Don't really think it should matter what your beliefs are. Sure, it could create complications, but which relationship doesn't have those anyway?

As for which way the kids should be raised. I believe it's up to them to make the choice when they feel the time is right.

I don't see why young children should go to church anyway.

EDIT: Inter-religious relationships ^

I don't see why young children should go to church anyway.

For someone who's religious, they obviously will think the opposite. Which is a pretty big conflict...

polvCwJ.gif

It's just too hard to mix things like that, ya know? I wouldn't date a Republican either. I would date an economic conservative who was socially liberal (like a libertarian). When certain things are too important, things clash in a really big way. How am I going to date someone who doesn't believe in equal rights? It's too hard to look around it.

But religion is really where things get hairy, especially if you plan on having kids (I don't).

I'm somewhere in-between pro-life and pro-choice, so I don't generally have a problem with either of them. I get along fine with people from any religion, providing they're not the type who dislike anyone outside of their religion. People's views on religion/life don't affect how I think of them, unless they're the kind of people who push it on you.