For what is SoA worth the price?

Leaf

Well i've heard you can get 120 kills an hour at miths with it. The loot you'll get, including the chance of a visage/dfh, would make it roughly 2m/hour money coming in. Now you'll likely be spending upto 3m/hour on the runes and ovls, but you'll also be getting really nice charms, effigies, elite clues... Debatable if it's 'worth it'

Spending 1m/hour may not sound bad, but compare that to MAKING 1m/hour there using a rapier instead, with about 2/3rds the charms/effigies/clues.

I don't believe it's more cost efficient anywhere in runescape other than some PVP, the price is just too much, and the only thing that has drops to justify being good enough, nex, has way too high magic defense.

CNqWHdA.jpg

At irons/steels/miths you need to value your time at around 6m/h to justify it. At glacors its somewhere between 5m-9m, depending on whether you use steel titan or not, etc. Of course, if you can do glacors than you already value your time high enough to make using soa make sense. There's also the fact that soa at glacors is more convenient, which you might value.

I don't think you're going to find a rational application for it (besides possibly pking) if you value your time at 2-3m/h.

At irons/steels/miths you need to value your time at around 6m/h to justify it. At glacors its somewhere between 5m-9m, depending on whether you use steel titan or not, etc. Of course, if you can do glacors than you already value your time high enough to make using soa make sense. There's also the fact that soa at glacors is more convenient, which you might value.

Wait what.

I value my time at 2-3m/h BECAUSE I do Glacors. Just a very rough estimate, ~20m per boot, 45 kills/hr @ 1 boot drop per 500 kills. That's less than 2m/h - add some profit from shards and subract cost of runes, ppots, and ovls, and it should be about 2-3m/h.

No idea how you get 5-9m/h, unless my luck is just THAT terrible.

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

Wait what.

I value my time at 2-3m/h BECAUSE I do Glacors. Just a very rough estimate, ~20m per boot, 45 kills/hr @ 1 boot drop per 500 kills. That's less than 2m/h - add some profit from shards and subract cost of runes, ppots, and ovls, and it should be about 2-3m/h.

No idea how you get 5-9m/h, unless my luck is just THAT terrible.

1 boot drop per 350 kills seems to be the more common assumption, that's the difference probably.

lets look at mith dragons for example

75 KPH with melee

115 with SOA

this is off task.

about a 1.5x increase to speed, so 20 mins saved per hour.

but 1000 armadyl runes spent in the 40 mins, which last i checked at 2650 gp per rune, u get about 4 mil.

so 8 mil gp/hour breakoff for mith dragons.

The speed increase would be even less for monsters with less defense. 12 mil will remain the breakoff for most forms of monster/boss hunting.

This spell really seems like something for the super rich and those interested in staking or what not.

Since glacors are your primary income source, and the only source of armadyl runes.

And you are asking if you should use armadyl runes.

You are creating a scenario, where buying the armadyl runes off GE, and collecting the armadyl runes, are of near if not exactly equal efficiency.

So you should ask yourself, if you were forced to kill glacors in between every monster hunting/slayer run, to collect more armadyl runes, would it be worth it?

Considering the money from the boot drops and the effigies.

We've already concluded the answer is no, but this is also another way of thinking of things.

You've put yourself in a weird scenario where buying off GE and DIY are of equal efficiency, whereas generally speaking DIY is almost always less efficient.

and the answer is almost always no.

To use SOA efficiently, you need peons to collect the armadyl runes for you.

To have peons to collect armadyl runes for you, you must be rich enough to pay the peons.

You must not be one of the peons :P.

Naaxi.png

I didn't put myself in any scenarios, I was just replying to a statement that seemed completely wrong.

1/350 drop rate still doesn't seem that spectacular... and by my luck I get like 1/700 :angry:

Are there any legitimate ways to earn that much money then?

I'm pretty sure it's not efficient to use Storm at Glacors at all if you need 5-9m/h to do so - since if you're killing Glacors it's probably for the money.

Are you saying that if Glacors are your source of income, Storm will never be worth using?

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

If SoA is 1.5x the speed of melee on the metals, which is what I assumed, then it comes out to 30mins saved per hour - in 2 hours using SoA you kill as many drags as you would in 3 hours using melee, so 30mins/h saved. You only need around 1300 casts/h to achieve the 1.5x speed, which the rate I think most people end up getting.

At 2650/rune that's 6.9m/h.

If the cheapest use of arma runes is to use them on metals, then I would have a hard time believing they would only make sense for people who value their time at 12m/h to use. It would just seem that the demand would be too low, and the price would have to fall.

But if their use in pking is extensive and profitable, then you could maybe see it happening.

===

Wow, so boots are 23m/ea average atm. 350 kills is 7 hours, so 3m/h from the boots. It's at least 1m/h a piece for the effigies and shards.

So around 5-6/h total. Soa is valued around there at glacors, and that's actually regardless of whether you use steel titan or not (I had assumed previously that you use the same number of arma runes/h if you use steel titan, but that's obviously untrue). So, like grimy said, it seems to not matter very much what you do, in terms of efficiency. More depends on what you would rather do probably (i.e do glacors more, or skill more), or something like that.

Are you saying that if Glacors are your source of income, Storm will never be worth using?

SoA speeds up your glacor kills. If the money from the extra glacors you kill with SoA compared to melee is more than the value of the runes you use, then you should use SoA. that is how you decide.

It's hard to say if it is at the moment because, for one, we don't exactly know how much soa speeds up your kills. And then rune/boot prices are unsteady, and the boot drop rate is uncertain. But I would say the data is probably available to figure it out if someone wanted to.

Using Storm of Armadyl is a bit like crawlering: it's never really efficient if you want to preserve bank value, but if you don't, it's very much worth using on miths etc.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

SoA speeds up your glacor kills. If the money from the extra glacors you kill with SoA compared to melee is more than the value of the runes you use, then you should use SoA. that is how you decide.

It usually saves ~5 seconds per Glacor for me, at a cost of ~4 arma runes. Considering the rarity of boots, it doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since I use just as much time to pick up charms and stuff each kill.

So there are absolutely no scenarios where Storm is worth using (except PKing) without an extremely high value of time?

Is there anything better than Glacors that I could do for money then? :unsure:

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

wow they crashed so far. I bought 25k instinctively. But it was a good decision. They will recover. I know it :) . And when I use them I will be happy that I bought them when I did.

Its a good opportunity for anyone who's into that sort of merching to take advantage of.