Economy after the Bot nuke

NukeMarine

Graahking is +1m/h again (I've heard), that's what makes me happy :P

But the price of buyables... *facepalms*

Happy? With everything inflated by 70-100%, you are not any better off as you were.

But it's not everything. Assuming you can get rid of major bot influences, you're left with prices dictated by the emotions of players. Sooner or later, the amount of people driven with the emotion to get a quick 99 will decrease, along with the demand for materials needed for that quick 99.

As long as the economy is the balanced trade of what people consider an hour of their time is worth compared to the amount of time that went into the ability to utilize that hour mixed with desire of the end product then I'm cool with high prices of some items versus low prices of others.

Interesting -- so you're positing that the trend "to get 99" is what drove people to use bots -- and now that bots have been mostly eliminated, the trend to get 99 will peeter out somewhat and gradually decline over time?

I am not disagreeing with you, by the way, I am merely re-stating this for clarification. Please correct me, if you think I am putting words in your mouth.

All this said, I will be most interested to see if you're correct in this analysis. How long, do you think, before we see this trend really take effect in the community?

I wonder, also, what effect this is going to have on the community, in terms of its psyche, in the long run?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

Just look at 99 ranged. I almost bought 99 (chins) for 35m a few months ago. (I got 95 prayer instead), but look now. 99 ranged is close to 4x that amount. Less and less people would pay that much for 99 ranged due to the price increase.

It didn't matter how good the economy is because my method of money-making could be summed up in two simple words: dumb luck.

As for habit changing, I haven't changed my gameplay habits one bit since the nuke nor do I plan on it in the future. As for player habits, I am going on a wild guess the focus will shift towards money more since skills will cost more.

For 99% of the players rising prices shouldn't change anything. Things cost more? You earn equally much more just by doing the same things you always did.

The minority with maxed stats who could make money in ways that weren't bottable (thus the income wasn't devalued like almost everything in the game), will find it harder to buy everything to 99. This is good too for the overall balance of the game.

like most things in runescape, the rich get richer. Also a little info - the combat system isnt totally random

When i box staked i got scammed couple times. Wonder if that's what you mean it's not "total random".

nope I mean that theres other hidden mechanics like PID out there that only a few people have realized.

The actual dice rolls involved in combat are random. However, things like PID, kiting, attack styles, etc. can be abused to shift the odds in your favor.

Nope its not random :lol: theres just more to it then you realize. Theres a reason some players win boxes 60-70% of the time and others lose more often, and its not luck of the draw.

Not to mention that there's a 'glitch' from a semi-recent quest that helps boosts your stats in boxing stakes (although effects are miniscule). Add that to PID, and some other stuff that I may not know off, staking is just as bad as dicing it.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

But it's not everything. Assuming you can get rid of major bot influences, you're left with prices dictated by the emotions of players. Sooner or later, the amount of people driven with the emotion to get a quick 99 will decrease, along with the demand for materials needed for that quick 99.

As long as the economy is the balanced trade of what people consider an hour of their time is worth compared to the amount of time that went into the ability to utilize that hour mixed with desire of the end product then I'm cool with high prices of some items versus low prices of others.

Interesting -- so you're positing that the trend "to get 99" is what drove people to use bots -- and now that bots have been mostly eliminated, the trend to get 99 will peeter out somewhat and gradually decline over time?

I am not disagreeing with you, by the way, I am merely re-stating this for clarification. Please correct me, if you think I am putting words in your mouth.

All this said, I will be most interested to see if you're correct in this analysis. How long, do you think, before we see this trend really take effect in the community?

I wonder, also, what effect this is going to have on the community, in terms of its psyche, in the long run?

Kind of sort of if you squint and look at it sideways I guess? It was more that since the items were cheap enough (due to botting that dump lots of items for easy gp to sell), and there were non grinding methods of getting gp (flipping, dicing, 76k'ing, RWT) to buy those cheap items. Problem was, if you tried any non-grinding method to get gp you'd just could not keep up with bots to gather enough gp to matter.

My point about players buying 99's was more of a "You know, I have the gp and the items aren't that much in perspective, why not buy the material to get 99". Now, I'm sure some then botted to level their account with these cheap items but that was secondary. The main point was that grinding was not a money making method to get gp to get 99's. It's still not that great now, however grinding is now a money maker so people may instead opt for a lower goal which is still achievable with what gp they can grind out. Someone that builds hunter to 92 at the chins (instead of Jadinkos) or yews (instead of ivy) can likely have an income to keep up with leveling crafting to 92 using battlestaffs and fire orbs. I don't think anyone can grind their way to keep up with herblore and prayer, but is that a bad thing considering the combat advantage those skills now give?

Looking at that ramble of a paragraph, I guess I could say that now people will be willing to level on skills that get gp rich items instead of the faster methods that don't produce much. That's something that'd be stupid to try pre-bot nuke as you'd be leveling slower with no other benefit.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Kind of sort of if you squint and look at it sideways I guess? It was more that since the items were cheap enough (due to botting that dump lots of items for easy gp to sell), and there were non grinding methods of getting gp (flipping, dicing, 76k'ing, RWT) to buy those cheap items. Problem was, if you tried any non-grinding method to get gp you'd just could not keep up with bots to gather enough gp to matter.

My point about players buying 99's was more of a "You know, I have the gp and the items aren't that much in perspective, why not buy the material to get 99". Now, I'm sure some then botted to level their account with these cheap items but that was secondary. The main point was that grinding was not a money making method to get gp to get 99's. It's still not that great now, however grinding is now a money maker so people may instead opt for a lower goal which is still achievable with what gp they can grind out. Someone that builds hunter to 92 at the chins (instead of Jadinkos) or yews (instead of ivy) can likely have an income to keep up with leveling crafting to 92 using battlestaffs and fire orbs. I don't think anyone can grind their way to keep up with herblore and prayer, but is that a bad thing considering the combat advantage those skills now give?

Looking at that ramble of a paragraph, I guess I could say that now people will be willing to level on skills that get gp rich items instead of the faster methods that don't produce much. That's something that'd be stupid to try pre-bot nuke as you'd be leveling slower with no other benefit.

Ok, so I was putting words in your mouth -- or at least extrapolating beyond a point from where you thought of taking it.

Still, I cannot help but wonder what the future may hold for the 99 skiller. Will there be as many players, in the future, so hell-bent upon getting those skill capes anymore? Are their days numbered, so to speak? Will we be seeing as many people so keen to spend the cash to buy their 99 skills?

and yes, I do realize that, what with resources being worth more, and therefore with people being able to skill AND earn at the same time, the end result of skilling to 99 is such that, while it may cost more in the long run, youre not any more likely to come out further behind now, than you did during the age of bots, the question remains: will so many players consider the price tag of a buyable 99 so daunting, that they will no longer be willing to spend such sums on those skills?

If yes, then does the game continue pretty much on the way it was heading, unabated?

If no, then what will erstwhile be the over-all affect on the game environment, and the community, at large?

nyuseg.png