Looking for a Routine

Bonez899

I was looking for a routine I could do at home with nothing except maybe a couple of dumb bells. I was looking for something to cut some fat (mostly adominal area) and gain some muscle while improving definition.

Thanks for any replys that you can give and all I will say for now is that I am doing the one hundred push ups program found here.

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't do SS. SS creates T-rexes and your goal is to look good. SS will not make you look good.

1. Fat can't be spot reduced, you must run a caloric deficit. Which just means you have to find your maintenance and eat a little under that.

2. Get a barbell. Find a push/pull routine. Good lifts in general for both health and aesthetics would be plenty of bench press, rows, deadlifts, some squats, overhead press, calf raise, shrugs. Get a pullup bar. Do pullups and chinups, preferably with progressive weights (in a backpack). You can also use the pullup bar to do hanging leg raises which are godly for abs. Abs are made in the kitchen though - you can do a thousand hanging leg raises or situps and not have a sixpack.

Assuming you're looking for aesthetics, place a higher priority on lifts that target aesthetic muscles. Most likely meaning biceps (chin ups) pecs (bench press) and abs (diet, hanging leg raise). Don't neglect the others, just do less of them.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Please don't do SS. SS creates T-rexes and your goal is to look good. SS will not make you look good.

T-rex? Are you saying that because the routine is built around squats? Lots of leg work (the biggest muscles) releases hormones to help development in the rest of your body. You are absolutely not going to end up with huge legs and tiny arms with starting strength unless you completely neglect your upper body and eat like a horse.

Please don't make posts like that, we have enough bro science on the internet as it is.

Since you're in here asking newbie questions like this

How important is a strict routine? Is it a lot better to have a defined routine, or just kind of feel it out as you go?

I assume you just heard that from someone who had no idea what they were talking about.

I've seen plenty of progress pictures of victims of SS. Follow it for any good length of time and T-rex mode will happen. And assuming you are actually following SS only, you'll be doing plenty of squats and some deadlifting without a lot of upper body work.

Not to mention that despite what bodybuilders may want/believe looks good, most people (especially girls) don't like T-rexes.

Starting Strength is not called Starting Aesthetics for a reason.

And if you're bulking (you cycle bulking and cutting, I assume you know this) then you eat a lot.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I'm all for getting rid of "bro science" posts, but if you're gonna start scrutinizing every post and pointing out all the fallacies, you'd better start referencing your own arguments or else we won't be able to judge which posts to heed by. After all, the only thing separating science from pseudoscience is research articles published by well founded peer review magazines.

Anyways, people don't do enough leg workouts as it is so I would just like to point out that you shouldn't be scared of looking like a T-rex. If anything, you'll look more proportional (and thus healthy) than people who only work out their upper bodies (I know quite a few of them). That said, working your biceps, shoulders and abs will get you far more lady points but I don't think that's your goal so.. nevermind.

hiccup.png

I've seen plenty of progress pictures of victims of SS. Follow it for any good length of time and T-rex mode will happen. And assuming you are actually following SS only, you'll be doing plenty of squats and some deadlifting without a lot of upper body work.

Not to mention that despite what bodybuilders may want/believe looks good, most people (especially girls) don't like T-rexes.

Starting Strength is not called Starting Aesthetics for a reason.

And if you're bulking (you cycle bulking and cutting, I assume you know this) then you eat a lot.

I've also seen plenty of progress pictures and they looked fine to me. They looked well proportioned, and not like most douches I see in my gym constantly doing hypertrophy on their beach muscles with skinny legs. There may be some that look t-rex but they may have been not adding weighted chin ups alternated with pull ups which is what most people do, they may be slacking in some lifts, or it can just be genetics.

In 2 workouts of SS with weights chin/pulls he will have roughly done:

Legs: 3 (squatx2, dead)

Back: 5 (squat, dead, pull, powerclean, press)

Arms: 5 (chin, pull, press, bench, powerclean partially)

Chest: 3 (bench, chin, press)

Looks pretty well rounded to me, do you really disagree?

As you said, starting strength is not called starting aesthetics for a reason. It's a beginners routine for strength gains with some size gains too. Most routines you will see are made for more advanced lifters. (which he doesn't seem to be.) Generally, splits and pyramid routines are a waste on beginners because they are specially designed for people who have trouble making gains. As a beginner, he has the potential to make massive gains in a short time but he needs a beginners routine to take advantage of that.

I'm all for getting rid of "bro science" posts, but if you're gonna start scrutinizing every post and pointing out all the fallacies, you'd better start referencing your own arguments or else we won't be able to judge which posts to heed by. After all, the only thing separating science from pseudoscience is research articles published by well founded peer review magazines.

Anyways, people don't do enough leg workouts as it is so I would just like to point out that you shouldn't be scared of looking like a T-rex. If anything, you'll look more proportional (and thus healthy) than people who only work out their upper bodies (I know quite a few of them). That said, working your biceps, shoulders and abs will get you far more lady points but I don't think that's your goal so.. nevermind.

I have no research articles to dig up and link to, just my word. If he does his own research he will find what I'm saying is true, since I know I've done mine.

Also, bolded for truth.