Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Router priority?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Skully
[ Display Name History ]

Skully

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,935 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Skully SC
I have a Netgear Rangemax dg843pn, and i'm trying to figure out how to give my PC and 360 priority of usage over my brothers stuff as he makes me lag badly lately. I have no idea about this side of computing though so most of the stuff I see on 192.168.0.1 means nothing to me. Can anyone please tell me how to do this?

Cheers

Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I don't think all routers have the ability to do that. Can you take a screenshot of what you see on the admin page?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,828 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht
What you're looking for is probably labeled "Quality of Service" or "QoS."

I'm not familiar with that model, so any instructions would just be flexing my Google-fu. ;)

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Corvus
[ Display Name History ]

Corvus

Lord of Ravens

• Members
  • 947 posts
  • RSN:Ponyseidon
  • RSN2:Stone Of Jas
  • Clan:Bronyville
As far as I know prioritizing network communications is an extremely rare feature for consumer routers, as configuring it would be far beyond the ability of the normal consumer and would reduce the performance of the network (not to mention the fact that there isn't much of a market for routers meant for power-users when compared to the general market); Being such a rare feature I am pretty sure your router does not have support for prioritizing devices on the official firmware. (I may be wrong as I cannot find any documentation on that model of router even existing on Netgear's support site)
Posted Image
Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Skully
[ Display Name History ]

Skully

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,935 posts
  • RSN:Skully SC
We've had it for quite a while now, so I guess it doesn't have it? I've thoroughly searched through most options.

Posted Image

Bmms
[ Display Name History ]

Bmms

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 911 posts
  • RSN:Aefx
  • RSN '07:Aefx
Google ddwrt, see if your model is able of having it flashed. If it is then you will have QoS and so many more features. If you are able to flash ddwrt on that router then do it. If not then I suggest getting one you can like the linksys wrt54gl.

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Doomster
[ Display Name History ]

Doomster

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
It's an ADSL modem router, and there is no DD-WRT or other alternate router firmware suupport for modem routers.

Looked all through the online manual, and defeinitely no QoS or throttling capabilities, I guess if one was on wired an the other Wifii, you could lower the wifi speed)

deacon377
[ Display Name History ]

deacon377

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • RSN:Deacon377
I saw a couple people mentioning that it's rare for a consumer device to have a QOS option in regards to transmission priority.
Netgear has a good (cisco too) for including such services.
I have an extremely basic netgear router, I'm talking $45 basic; it does in fact have these options.

in short, google is your friend.

I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users