Max though slayer or a fast method?

Vezon Dash

So I hear that they will be changing combat experience to where you don't receive any combat experience for killing certain monsters, so I was wondering if now would be the time to max combats. Right now I've gained the majority of my combat experience through slayer, and I had intended on maxing through slayer. However, I don't know if this is the best course of action now. What do you guys think? Should I powertrain at DSs or AZs to get 99 melees before the updates, or should I just continue slaying?

I'd say continue slaying. You have plenty of time before the actual update (Around September, I believe). And also, they will be tweaking monster levels and stats, so it doesn't necessarily mean that training through slayer after the update will be any slower than it is currently.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Slayer. I doubt the overall training will become slower after the update. If slayer does become bad you can finish slayer and max somewhere else.

If you are ever planning on 99slayer, you will still get combat XP at a lot of tasks (if not all!) so it would be a waste to max first. You still need around 10-15m combat exp to max your melees. Once slayer is finished you can go ahead and finish melee somewhere else.

I don't think, at your levels, that maxing somewhere else first will save you time overall. While maxed players have a slight efficiency advantage in slayer, it isn't very large compared to equivalent in gear players who aren't maxed. The time you save gaining melee xp while slayer, (assuming to you that all xp gained after 99 is useless) is more than enough to make up for the potential time you save doing slayer by maxing somewhere else. (especially considering that it is likely you will reach 99 melees before 99 slayer.)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

They have said that creatures with a combat level 30 below yours will give highly reduced experience so if Dagganoths kept their current combat level and the OP got there 180 Combat level they would no longer gain combat experience (or at least of any note) for that task. Of course we do not know how Slayer assignments may be re-balanced or indeed how NPC combat levels will work. This is all being discussed in the EoC thread though..

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

If you read the update they plan on reducing the experience a high-level player gets for killing a low-level monster:

I seen a fair few posts turn up about people worrying about not getting Slayer xp from low level tasks. To clarify the recent blog post, in the new system, Slayer XP is not affected by being over 30 levels above the target NPC. It is only the traditional combat XP that is affected in this way: Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, Magic and Constitution. If you are 30 or more levels above your target, you will receive reduced XP in these stats from killing them, as opposed to none at all. Slayer XP is not reduced.

Also, this only applies when you are *above* the targets level. If you are below the targets level, such as when fighting a boss such as Nex, there is no XP penalty.

Further clarification - all NPC's in the game have been given new combat levels. There should now always be something good to train on for full XP for your combat level.

Update:

After interrogating my fellow combat developers, here is more detailed information on XP:

The XP reduction kicks in based on comparing your offensive stat to the enemy Defence level, and in fact does not use your overall combat level. Here is an example:

I have 99 Attack, 99 Defence and 1 Magic.

I Mage an NPC with 50 Defence, and I have selected to Mage defensively, so gaining Magic and Defence XP.

Let's say this NPC awards 200 XP, therefore 50% (100 XP) is for Magic and 50% (100 XP) is for Defence.

My Defence skill is more than 30 levels above the NPC so this XP is reduced down to 10% (10 XP).

However, my Magic skill is less than 30 levels away from the NPC so I get 100% of my Magic XP (100 XP).

I am awarded 10 Defence XP and 100 Magic XP.

The reduction is only applied down, never up. So if I kill an NPC that is 50 levels higher than my offence and defence skill, I will be awarded 100% of the XP.

However, if my offence and defence skills are 30+ levels above the NPC I kill, I shall only be awarded 10% of the XP.

However, I agree it would be stupid to assign tasks that give you reduced combat experience. I would hope that during Slayer tasks you never have your Combat experience reduced - but you never know.

My guess is that the task assignments will be based on the slayer masters combat level. A slayer Master which would provide service to a player above level 170 for example (example : Kuradel) would only offer tasks which the player would receive 100% combat experience from.

This could be tricky to balance with the various slayer masters however. I'd also expect all slayer monsters ( and monsters in general) to receive a combat level rebalance to suite the new system. Based on this, I would continue to slay.

EDIT: Another idea comes to mind: What if multiple strength creatures of the same type are introduced? Like we see in Daemonheim. For a high level slayer, a stronger variation of a slayer monster can be found in a higher level area.

Cake....

Cake?