Quotes

Crocefisso

Everybody loves a 'quote' - or what used to be called the aphorism - whether it's your typical inspirational "You go get 'em" or La Rochefoucauld's cynicism. If this gets popular enough, might it be worth having a 'fishing for likes' type ranking thingy I wonder?

I'll start:

Pride is an established conviction of one’s own paramount worth in some particular respect, while vanity is the desire of rousing such a conviction in others, and it is generally accompanied by the secret hope of ultimately coming to the same conviction oneself. Pride works from within; it is the direct appreciation of oneself. Vanity is the desire to arrive at this appreciation indirectly, from without.”

-Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Preemptive war is like committing suicide for fear of death.”

-Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

“Most people flock to where there is a crowd; they go because they see others going.”

“Fame’s trumpet heralds one person’s immortality and announces another’s death – sentenced to hang by envy’s anxious rope.”

-Baltasar Gracián (1601-1658)

More and more all that is behind me is what I long for; how I envy the returning waves.”

-Ariwara no Narihira (825-880)

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing. -- Malcom X

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever. --1984

There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death --Isaac Asimov

~M

From my sig, a tango written by Enrique Santos Discepolo in 1934. Remarkably to many, we live in the same situation 80 years later. The generation of today sucks? It's been the same for generations, smartass.

"Today it happens it is the same to be decent or a traitor! To be an ignorant, a genius, a pickpocket, a generous person or a swindler! All is the same! Nothing is better! They are the same, an idiot ass and a great professor! There are no failing grades or merit valuations, the immoral have caught up with us. If one lives in a pose and another steals, it's the same if it's a priest, a mattress maker, a king of clubs, a cad or a tramp." - Siglo XX Cambalache

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

"Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to yourself you're not mistaken in mind." - William Hartnell

Something I need to start following if I want to find self-happiness.

Popoto.~<3