jagex cache - can I change the drive ?

guzoliub

guzoliub, I don't know if you're still checking this thread or not, but this can be done a lot more safely. All you really need to do is edit the "jagex_cl_runescape_LIVE.dat" file (no quotes on the name, btw) in your user profile directory and edit the path displayed in that file without wiping out the odd characters around it. Also, don't forget to clear your current cache directory and/or move it to the new location after you make that change, as to make sure that you don't have an orphaned copy of the cache laying about. :geek:

I hope this helps a lot better than what others have been saying to you, because I'm honestly <insert-your-choice-of-negative-emotions-here> by their posts and the lack of mention of this easy fix. :(

~Mr. D. V. "Dropping in with a huge brick of truth..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

guzoliub, I don't know if you're still checking this thread or not, but this can be done a lot more safely. All you really need to do is edit the "jagex_cl_runescape_LIVE.dat" file (no quotes on the name, btw) in your user profile directory and edit the path displayed in that file without wiping out the odd characters around it. Also, don't forget to clear your current cache directory and/or move it to the new location after you make that change, as to make sure that you don't have an orphaned copy of the cache laying about. :geek:

I hope this helps a lot better than what others have been saying to you, because I'm honestly <insert-your-choice-of-negative-emotions-here> by their posts and the lack of mention of this easy fix. :(

Your idea is a breach of Jagex's ToS

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

<<<snip>>>

Wrong. Several Jagex Staff have already mentioned to other users doing this exact thing. Unfortunately, due to how the RSOF works, none of the reference QFCs can be found now. :geek:

guzoliub, I don't know if you're still checking this thread or not, but this can be done a lot more safely.

There is nothing unsafe about symbolic links. I've been using them for other things for years and a default install of Windows uses them for user directories. (My Documents/Pictures, etc.)

Question: I know that works on NTFS, but do they work on FAT32? Also, can they be made by users who don't have Admin access, or is this only an option for Admin-level users? :huh:

All you really need to do is edit the "jagex_cl_runescape_LIVE.dat" file (no quotes on the name, btw) in your user profile directory and edit the path displayed in that file without wiping out the odd characters around it.

Using a text editor on a files containing anything but plain text is generally a bad idea, even when it appears to work.

What I described isn't that hard, but I can post instructions if it sounds that way.

• Move the jagexcache directory to the new drive
  • Run the following command at an administrative command prompt, changing the last parameter as appropriate
    mklink /d "%USERPROFILE%\jagexcache" "H:\jagexcache"

That's it, you're ready to run the game.

Here's my jagex_cl_runescape_LIVE.dat:

jagexclrunescapelive.png

Following your method, what do I do with this? :unsure:

You shouldn't be seeing that in Chinese. Try a program known as PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/), which happens to be an insanely powerful text editor and/or programming tool, to open and edit that. Or perhaps even try WordPad instead. Strangely for me, opening with any program reveals the path info to me, instead of getting weird characters. Of note, I am running WinXP Pro SP2, so that may be making a bit of a difference here. :o

Don't get me wrong. It's nice to see all the options and I wasn't aware that the cache location was in that particular file, but it's still not the way I would go about doing this, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as "safer" or "easier."

I'm actually surprised you're having any trouble accessing it. The issue you have honestly shouldn't be happening. And anyway, what if someone forgets about the symlink that they made? Wouldn't that cause more issues? :wacko:

~D. V. "I can't believe this much confusion happened... wow..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

<<<snip>>>

Wrong. Several Jagex Staff have already mentioned to other users doing this exact thing. Unfortunately, due to how the RSOF works, none of the reference QFCs can be found

Forum posts don't magically overide the ToS: http://www.jagex.com/g=runescape/terms/terms.ws#intellectual_property

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

<<<snip>>>

Wrong. Several Jagex Staff have already mentioned to other users doing this exact thing. Unfortunately, due to how the RSOF works, none of the reference QFCs can be found

Forum posts don't magically overide the ToS: http://www.jagex.com...ectual_property

Copyrighting a preference file is like copyrighting a number...

To clarify, if the file is not protected by any means (DRM, etc)--and also, since it is not code--editing it is fine.

An example would be Windows Media Player DRM. When you purchase content protected by DRM, a data file is downloaded. In this data file is an encrypted and obfuscated key. However, editing or viewing this key is a violation of the DMCA and various other laws (copyright, etc). This is because the key is obfuscated by a program (infact, the individual key is an actual program that only lets trusted programs use it to decrypt media; it is a blackbox of sorts).

Jagex's profile data is neither code nor encrypted nor obfuscated. It's simply configuration data in binary form.

(I can't believe I'm arguing this.)

ozXHe7P.png

DMCA is a US law though.

For example in my country circumventing DRM is not illegal. (Selling products to help people circumvent DRM can be illegal however.)

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

Wow, big discussion :)

I did this :

I just tested http://www.rekenwond...m/linkmagic.htm and it works for me.

and it worked fine, hope there will be no problems of which I was constantly reminded while using the program :)

also - it sais it is for NTFS only

Glad to hear it worked for you. :shades:

You shouldn't be seeing that in Chinese. Try a program known as PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/), which happens to be an insanely powerful text editor and/or programming tool, to open and edit that. Or perhaps even try WordPad instead. Strangely for me, opening with any program reveals the path info to me, instead of getting weird characters. Of note, I am running WinXP Pro SP2, so that may be making a bit of a difference here. :o

It's not strange at all. Like I mentioned, this isn't a text file and a text editor is the wrong tool for editing it.

Then why does it look like...

20121213_DVD_RSDPSS.png

...for me, and no matter what program I choose to open it, both before (where it was pointed at my user profile directory) and after (where I re-pointed it there) editing? Perhaps a difference in system behavior? :huh:

~D. V. "Left with a last note of curiosity..." Devnull

• 3 months later...