Brother got DDoS'd or something :S

Tyler93

Alright so my brother went into a Skype call with some randoms while he was playing runescape and the guys in the call tried to get him to go to Bandos so they could shut off his internet (they accidentally said that during the call or something), Aperrantly a file was sent through the chat too but he claims he didn't open it so I'm not too sure. He caught on so they just killed the internet, It's working alright now after they shut it off but what should I do? I'm horrible with computers so I don't have the first idea. Is this just a DDoS and if so can they do anything now or what can I do to prevent this?

All helps appreciated, Thanks!

Original Account: Tylersk8shop (Joined: August 2006)
99 Attack, Strength, Defence, Hitpoints and Woodcutting.

Tyler, assuming that your brother had proper security in-place and didn't touch that file, plus adding what PLR said above, then there's nothing you need to do and there's nothing you can do. Put simply, those who DDoS'd flooded the internet pipe until no valid traffic could flow along it, thereby cutting off the internet connection completely. As long as your firewalls were set up properly, they blocked the traffic from damaging your network, but literally could never have blocked the effective lockout that it caused. :geek:

Just make sure to run an antivirus pass on that computer, okay? That's all the advice we can really give you, this time. :huh:

~D. V. "Unless their system is infected, we won't be able to help you, sorry." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Awesome, Thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it! Just got home so I'll run some antivirus to double check everything. Crazy how easy they can DDoS, didn't know it was that easy to obtain an IP from Skype. Thanks again!

You can get people's IP addresses just by having their Skype username. You don't even have to enter a call or chat with them. Unfortunately this has been around for months, if not more, and instead of Skype fixing the loophole, they simply go after the websites who offer the information on how to do it.

09144a99bb.png

Information like that should never be shared on Rs either, there's a reason why a lot of pmods mute when people ask other people's skype username, and I'm going as far as to say that I agree with them doing that, as there are more dangers than just a ddos.

• 1 month later...

Alright thanks or the help again everyone, Just stumbled across this thread again and I'm curious is this problem still around? When my brother got DDoS'd I deleted Skype and everything, While looking into it even stumbled across how people are doing it and wow, That's insanely easy even to me and I suck with computers lol.

But yeah, Was just curious if this problem still exists, Wouldn't mind using Skype again.

From this topic I'm glad I actually don't have skype o.O

Best of luck fixing things!

mX0rmhR.gif
Click the image above to be taken to the Wilderness Guardians website.

Advisor in Wilderness Guardians

Honourary Member in Clan Europe

Ex-Leader Of Descendant Guardians and True Supremacy

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to find the IP that DDoSed him. If you can, whois it and report it to the ISP that it shows up as being 'associated' with.

tomtiger11.png

RIP TET

Click here to go to School & Chat; An awsome forum!

Budding RuneScape Woodcutter | Budding I.R.C Expert | Former Whitewater Police Department Member (Wall Of Fame)

CO2 is bad, and so are bots.

99 Firemaking! 14/03