I've spent a large amount of hours at the Kalphite King since it got released , firstly with mass-teams in my fc and other ones, and then with very well organized small teams (read Strategy section). I had started posting tips on rs forums, but I'll just continue here as it's a better place/forum .
This is progressively going to be an entire guide, but other tips and contributions are welcome!
Also I will make this guide clearer/cuter over time, when I get time (adding pictures, lights, relaxing music, etc.)
Last update 21 jan 2013
Kalphite King (KK)
Fighting this boss EFFICIENTLY involves the following FROM EVERY PLAYER :
- Teamworking : you have to know what's going on about other players, and risk dieing yourself to save others. Communication also matters for optimal fighting. (Real-time voice chat (e.g: Teamspeak) is excellent)
- Intense clicking : food, equipment, abilities, prayers, moving around.
- Knowledge : if you haven't read any guide, it will take you a while finding out yourself everything before you fight properly.
If you miss one of these, you would simply be the guy who comes in, hits, eats, dies, runs back looting his grave, and starts a new cycle again.
If your team is well prepared, a 5-players team (190+ combat) could make this boss an enjoyable challenge.
- No requirements, no items needed
- Location (view map) : tele-home to Bandit Camp, walk south along the pyramid, then run a few more steps south-east. (Approx. time = 2 min)
- If you die : graveyards appear right before the KK Lair (view map above)
- Up to maximum 20 players can get in a fight at a time. It works similarly to Clan Wars or POH : when entering the KK Lair, you're asked to either create a team (you'll be the host) or join an existing team (enter host's username).
Upon creating a team, the host can select various options : a minimum combat level to join, a maximum amount of players (20 max), and even optionally a key (only digits) to prevent random people joining. Lastly, you can set the respawn time between each kill.
Equipment & KK's weakness
Its weakness switches between 3 styles : Fire Spells, Arrows and Stab. Tri-briding is optimal there, because the cap damage when hitting with the wrong style is ridiculous. (EXCEPTIONS : tanking (read Strategy section), or maybe 100% melee with dual Drygores weapons (needs more tests))
- Example of equipment for tribriding with Void sets.
- Example of action bar - you will discover their use while reading the KK's attacks.
- Familiar : Titan > Beast of burden
How the Kalphite King attacks
- FACT 1 :
The KK randomly switches between 3 different phases which graphically change by the color of its wings : Melee, Ranged, and Magic.
The switch occurs randomly, every 2 minutes on average. The battle always starts with its Melee phase.
Each phase has its corresponding weakness (according to the combat triangle), as well as specific attacks related to its current phase. (e.g: under its Magic form, you should equip your bow, and pray/deflect Magic). Some of its attacks are similar to our abilities.
- FACT 2 :
The KK always picks one 'main' target, and it never changes until he/she dies (OR if another player uses ability 'Provoke').
Most attacks hit multi-players of course, but are primarily focused on the target.
- List of special attacks under the Melee phase :
• Regular melee attack : a gentle hit with its claws, which however can cause painful bleeding (simply use Freedom to stop the effect).
• Bulldozer : glows yellow/orange, and charges towards its target, pushing everyone on its way. You can get hit from 1k to 3k
• Shockwave : hits nearby players (usually weak)
- List of special attacks under the Ranged phase : (multi-target)
• Shards : throws big shards (similar to the KQ)
• Fragmentation Shot : stops moving and ranges everyone (weak), although it may cause bleeding.
• Incendiary Shot : similar to our ability, an explosive arrow will land on you. (rare but powerful)
- List of special attacks under the Magic phase : (multi-target)
• Gas balls (green) : the KK throws floating balls around him & under players' locations, which explode after 5 seconds in a large radius (5x5). At close range, they can deal above 3000 Magic damage each, and also heal him from the damage inflicted. Lastly, they may deal extra damage over time after the explosion. (bleeding effect)
The more players, the more balls! RUN AWAY while keeping the KK in your sight of view for other incoming attacks. Sometimes you will have to keeo running around for 3 or 4 waves of this attack.
Sometimes the KK will stun you before performing this attack, so have your 'Freedom' ability ready for this one.
'Escape' is also of a great use here (thanks to Sir Scroat for the tip), so you can work on a combo with Freedom and Escape. You can also often find a safe path by running towards the KK.
• Gas balls (blue) : direct Magic damage (2000 on average). This attack is less frequent than the green balls.
• Bulldozer (Melee attack) : may be performed here as well
- Other attacks under any form :
• Dig : Lifts his feet up, then digs into the ground, and pops up after 5 sec under its target. You may be stunned if you're close to it when it digs
Run away as you see the top of its back emerging from the ground, otherwise you'll get hurt (like Strykewyrms) for 2000-3500 hp.
• Summons Marauders : weak, slightly poisonous. Clear the room when the KK is dead.
• Healing : the KK surrounds itself with a red shield, and heals as you hit
• The 1-hit lethal attack : (only during the Melee and Ranged phase)
This is actually a series of 3 moves in a specific order, where the 3rd one is deadly.
- Step 1 : the KK glows and stuns its target (at this moment, you can already guess it's doing its lethal move)
- Step 2 : the KK pukes a green ball at its target, and target gets all green. Target can't move, can't heal, can't use abilities, can't call mom.
- Step 3 : the KK waits about 4 seconds, then claws its target, killing him instantly.
To avoid death : someone else has to use Provoke (ability) to make the KK switch target. The KK is still about to perform Step 3, but this time the target is not paralyzed. He then has to use either Immortality, Barricade or Resonance (stay away from marauders so they don't waste it!) to survive the final step of its attack.
NOTE 1 : those 3 abilities won't work for the initial target. You can't smartass your way around this, the green thing whatever-it-is will cancel any invulnerability effect.
NOTE 2 : The timing is very short in order to perform Provoke + safe (or else). You must be ready, get a good camera angle to see the KK, and have your abilities available.
NOTE 3 : under its Magic form, the KK will not perform that lethal hit.
I will talk about 3 types of strategies :
• Mass-fc (up to 20 players)
• Small organized team (4 to 8 players)
(• Duo teams - under construction)
(• Solo : forget it)
1. Mass-fc :
This is a good way to learn, have a look around the place, take family pictures, etc. However it's much less profitable.
Browse the RS forums (Teamwork section) for a popular Friend chat, ask to get added, turn on Lootshare, and simply join the host's game.
Most of the time, massive Friend chats are "free-for-all", which means that you can hardly rely on other people to save your butt. People will randomly die, and you have to hope that you won't be the next.
2. Small organized team :
This is much more profitable, as a 6-man experienced team is enough to kill a KK within 2-3 minutes.
Most teams are composed of two types of players : tanks and attackers.
Tanks : there are usually two. They are the KK's target during most of the time, and save each other from the green orb. They must have the best armour possible, and not necessarily focus on dealing damage.
Attackers : they do damage. There can be as many of them as you want. Tribrid equipment is highly welcome, however using only dual-drygore is currently being discussed on whether it is more efficient.
Attackers can of course bring a shield so that they can provoke, in case one tank dies (or for free full-healing). There could actually be only one tank in your team, if attackers save the tank from the instant-kill attack, and the tank then provokes back and continue tanking most attacks.
Currently, common drops are non-profitable at all.
What matters are Drygore weapons. Quite rare though . I think we got 2 weapons drop out of my 200 first kills.
Will keep editing this guide later