New issues regarding JAG protection? Any known changes to it?

Ren

It's been probably about 1-2.5 months (Checked just now on this edit) since I've logged into the game, and 3.5 or so since I quit due to the EoC release. I went to login on my main account yesterday and it kept prompting me about an "unknown device", meaning I'd have to go through my JAG to add this device as a safe one.

This NEVER happened when I was playing regularly, The way it recognizes devices is through the connected IP, my ISP uses my modem IP since I have no router or anything separating my modem and PC connection. My ISP also has been using dynamic IP's since before I had it, so that begs me to ask... Has Jagex publicly announced that they are or have changed the way JAG works? I have no problems with any other accounts logging into the game, so I know it's not their login service.. The funniest part is that I can change my password flawlessly and get to that prompt of JAG with that new password in about 20 seconds. It's just completely refusing my "new device" which is actually the same PC with a different IP.

[Add-in: I failed to mention that for some reason I can't answer any JAG question correctly even with correct answers]

Another query I have is about how the forums now work. I have at least 2 accounts that should have full free access to the forums, but neither are "Qualifying free members", and as far as the forum rules go, that means having over a "350 total level", or what used to be 1.35M total xp. Both accounts exceed either of these, so I am extremely confused.

I've already emailed account and JAG supports four times now, given all the information they need to remove JAG and basically anything else they need to, without a reply. I've called my ISP and tried to change my IP back, get more information and as well as check to see if it's a problem on their end or the modem I use, so...

What do you guys think is going on?

Some extra info to narrow down your answers:

Passwords are unchanged from what they were when I wasn't having issues

The registered e-mail has not changed from what it was

EDIT: For better clarity, read my latest post(s).

Edited by Ren

553VriC.png?1

JAG does NOT rely on IP address, it uses other data that never changes (eg mac address). The fact every ISP under the sun is dynamic ip by default + the fact all devices on 1 network share the same external ip means using ip would be ridiculous and is easily proved false by the fact 2 devices in same house needed separate verification.

If its not remembering your device and jag answers are wrong it suggest the device has been deleted from your account and either you mis-remembered your answers or someone has hacked and had Jagex change them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

JAG does NOT rely on IP address, it uses other data that never changes (eg mac address). The fact every ISP under the sun is dynamic ip by default + the fact all devices on 1 network share the same external ip means using ip would be ridiculous and is easily proved false by the fact 2 devices in same house needed separate verification.

If its not remembering your device and jag answers are wrong it suggest the device has been deleted from your account and either you mis-remembered your answers or someone has hacked and had Jagex change them.

OK, thanks for the info, Sy (you're techy from what I remember), now.. Let's assume one or both scenarios occurred.

1) Someone ended up hijacking what Jagex said to be very secure (my JAG), how can I recover my account now? Repeat steps even if I've already taken some/all.

2) Someone messed directly with my PC (has happened before in a much more dangerous way, this time it seems extremely well done and completely undetectable). Solutions?

I guarentee you that my current and up-to-date anti-anything software detects nothing. I have no trojans (or anything else) according to TDSSkiller. I can try even more antimalware and antivirus programs out there but I am quite certain this will give me the same results. With that, am I screwed completely?

I mostly want information on the first bit because I'm very very confused as to how/why I can do certain things but others. Maybe you can elaborate how JAG recognizes different PC IP's. When I called my ISP they gave me a step-by-step to find my IP and the technician said something very different from what you did. I, for one, always thought there was an internet sort of IP, and then an IP for your actual computer for, say, if you wanted to do some sort of computer-to-computer connecting without any internet. He was saying that my IP of my modem and my PC were the same..

Forgot to mention that I have used very sensitive information on this pc, like credit cards, on this PC without ANY problems, I have a very very very high doubt that it regards hijacking from my end.

The device is still recognized, and it even shows one of my old IP's that were changed by my ISP. I can verify this because I have other sites that've recorded most of my IP's. It is 100% a previous IP given by my ISP, and this has happened at least 14-16 times or more already. The way JAG is showing different devices is by the IP I used for that device when I registered it (worst case scenario). There is no way in hell you're right that it doesn't rely on that in some areas.

I've also checked my IP through the command prompt ipconfig and through my LAC, it matches what it says for allowed devices on JAG. Meaning whatever Dynamic IP I was given for my MODEM is different from whatever IP I'm talking about, which has NOT changed ever. Sorry if I was unclear. Wtf is preventing me from logging in?

553VriC.png?1

Did you by any chance deleted the Jave/Jagex Cache?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

You can email the guys at JAG, and they will reset it for you. They usually reply within 30 minutes.

I've recieved an email shortly after my last post. It took them over a day to respond, so don't rely on that timeframe.

It's not fixed as of yet and I'm doing the same thing I did before for the third time. The only difference is I have an automated email system to talk to.

The Jagex caches are still on my pc, I try to at least update RS so I don't have to wait to play as long if I ever want to log in in the future.

553VriC.png?1

That is really odd honestly. If you reply during business hours they should reply rather quickly. I have never seen them take longer than 30 minutes to reply. =/

I had issues with JAG a while back where I couldn't answer my answers, and I just emailed them. Everything was reset within the hour. Just make sure that you have things like first password, isp the account was created on, and the answers to your JAG recoveries.

That is really odd honestly. If you reply during business hours they should reply rather quickly. I have never seen them take longer than 30 minutes to reply. =/

I had issues with JAG a while back where I couldn't answer my answers, and I just emailed them. Everything was reset within the hour. Just make sure that you have things like first password, isp the account was created on, and the answers to your JAG recoveries.

I can provide them with nearly every bit of history regarding the account, so that's good to hear. I might not have replied within business hours, but I believe I did just barely. I guess I was assuming they had a team for JAG and such that wasn't based on their normal business hours anyway. They really should get a team for that.

This post made me feel much more comfortable, by the way. It's not just a problem with JAG but maybe some of their systems are down. Strange regardless, and thank you for the post :P.

553VriC.png?1

Good to hear you're getting it resolved. As it seems to be an issue with your account in particular rather than with JAG in general, I've moved this to Help & Advice.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

They do have overnight staff for customer service and community management (twitter etc) but its a much smaller team than the day staff and likely takes on a universal role opposed to the specific day teams.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You have IP specific to the computer is hid behind network address translation at the router.

It is possible some social engineered the JAG answers or you accidently deleted the jaxeg cache or something funny on you end

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

To those saying that it relies on Mac Adress, I don't think so, when I cleared my cache, like every jagex cache, and had to re-enter the computer into the Jag protection.

To those saying that it relies on Mac Adress, I don't think so, when I cleared my cache, like every jagex cache, and had to re-enter the computer into the Jag protection.

It does use the cache but it relies on device information stored within the cache as well otherwise one could simply copy someone else's cache and thereby have a 'hacked' JAG authorisation for their account on any system they liked. I'll admit I dunno exactly what info this would be but mac address seems to most likely candidate.

Plv6Dz6.jpg