Buying new PC - Advice

JeRambo

I badly need a new computer as my current Acer Aspire laptop is starting to break after 5 years of use.

The current PC that I'm looking at to buy has the following specifications:

CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra with:

- AMD FX-8150

- 3.6 GHz

- 8 core

- 16 GB DDR3 RAM

- 1TB hard-drive

- 12x Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo

- AMD Radeon HD7850 with 2GB dedicated video memory

- Windows 8 (64-bit)

- 600 Watt power supply

More stuff on the computer here:

Features

• Processor Type - AMD FX-8150
  • Processor Speed - 3.6 GHz
  • Processor Cores - 8
  • RAM - 16GB PC10666 (1333Mhz DDR3)
  • Hard Drive Capacity - 1 TB
  • Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) - 7200 rpm
  • Optical Drive - 12x Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo
  • Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD7850
  • Pre-loaded Operating System - Windows 8 64-Bit Edition

Graphics

• Dedicated Video Memory - Yes
  • Shared Video Memory - Not Applicable
  • Video Memory - 2 GB
  • TV Tuner - No

Display

• Built-in Monitor - Not Applicable
  • HDCP Compliant - Not Applicable
  • Screen Size/Type - Not Applicable
  • Native Screen Resolution - Not Applicable

Audio

• Sound Card - Realtek ALC889
  • Audio Output - High Definition Audio
  • Speakers - No
  • Speaker Wattage - Not Applicable
  • Integrated Microphone - No
  • Microphone Input - Yes - Front & Back
  • Line-In Input - Yes - Back
  • Line Out - Yes - Front & Back
  • Digital Input - No
  • Digital Output - No

Networking

• Ethernet Port - 10/100/1000
  • Integrated WiFi - No
  • Integrated Bluetooth - No

Inputs & Outputs

• Webcam - No
  • Keyboard - Full-Size Gaming
  • Mouse - Optical
  • Remote - No
  • Modem - Not Applicable
  • USB Ports - 2 x USB 3.0 (0 Front; 2 Rear); 10 x USB 2.0 (2 Front; 8 Rear)
  • FireWire (IEEE 1394) - No
  • Card Reader - No
  • E-SATA - No
  • VGA Output - No
  • DVI Output - Yes
  • HDMI Output - Yes
  • Component Output - No
  • S-Video Output - No
  • Composite Output - No

Computing Features

• Processor Cache - 8 MB L2
  • System Bus - 5.2 GT/s
  • Available Hard Drive Bays - 3 Internal 3.5" (2 Available); 4 Internal 2.5" (4 Available)
  • Available Optical Bays - 4 External 5.25" (3 Available)
  • Available PCIe Slots - 2 PCI Express X16 (1 Available); 3 PCI Express x1 (Available)
  • Available PCI Slots - 2 Total ( Available)
  • Available AGP Slots - Not Applicable
  • Available Memory Slots - 4 Total (0 Available)
  • Removable Storage - No
  • Power Supply - 600 Watts
  • Energy Star Qualified - No

Software

• Operating System Language - English

For $1050 without taxes but comes with free shipping.

And for the screen I was thinking an ASUS VS247H-P 23.6" LCD Monitor with LED for $200.

(Around $1,350 for both with tax.)

Planning on playing RuneScape and Skyrim at once or RS and Torchlight 2, Black Ops, COD, etc.

Apparently the Radeon 7850 is in the top-10 best cards at the moment, perfect for medium to high gaming.

Just curious if I'm getting the best deal for my money and if the computer could run RS and Skyrim at once (doesn't need to be on High/Ultra settings.)

Also would it be possible (in the future) to replace the graphics card with something like the Radeon 7970, or adding another 1TB of hard-drive, etc?)

Personally I wouldn't mind a laptop if it had the same or close to the same specs for an even price. I looked at Alienware laptops but those would cost me like another $500. I'll look at a couple of Fangbooks and see if I find something equal.

Thank you in advance.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

I think you have a pretty good price for that computer.

Also my laptop is nowhere near the power of your computer and can run skyrim at ultra and rs at the same time, although I wonder why you would want that as you can easily forget Rs even if you're afking a skill and get logged out after the 5 min autologout.

I don't plan on playing Skyrim at full screen (if that's possible), and easily switch between RS and other games while doing cwars, artisan's, or ivy.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

I recently built a computer for my father (over spring break) and the only thing i would caution you about those parts is this: I'd get ATLEAST an 800w psu, if not 1k.

IDK about AMD, I'm an Intel i7/ Nvidia guy myself

but from my experiances with Cyberpower have been good,

(usually picked the stuff on there and went to frys to buy the parts)

(if you've never been in an actual fry's store... (http://www.frys.com/ ) ITS FANTASTIC)

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

I can't change out parts unless I would build my own. This one is built with the 600W. Why don't you think it would be enough?

I'm Canadian so don't have any Fry's stores here.

4K469.png

like i said, im not up on AMD stuff so i don't know the power they consume, but i've had issues with drawing to much power for the psu, and the computer just shutting down... and being that the 900w antec i have was only $100 it's not a big expensive thing... (I put 1200 in my dad's but i SLI'd two gfx cards for him)

EDIT:

just a quick google turned this up: idk if it's accurate or not:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

26081 to get 99 herblore

This also seems like a good deal: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_9000

And I can change a few things around if I want. (including the power supply)

4K469.png

yeah the basic idea i wanted to convey is do your calculations (cyberpower does it for you in that box) and bump it up a bit :P

* 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [spring Mega Sale] [+71]

looks good, i like Corsair RAM idk bout the PSU's they make but hey.... also gota plug Razer mice and keyboards :D

shame about not having a fry's, while i love cyberpower you could still prolly shave $200-250 off of their price if you build it yourself (and alot of that can be done with buying windows from a college for $15 instead of the 150 or whatever they want (and yes you can do clean installs with those *upgrade only disks* just call them and say your computer crashed and they will activate it for you ))

26081 to get 99 herblore

Might just stick with the system in my original post.. Cyberpower doesn't do free shipping to Canada and it would cost an additional $200 with the extra parts.

• Like 1

4K469.png

Thanks for all your advice, I'll check back in tomorrow to see if anyone else posted. :).

4K469.png

Few of my friends have had trouble with AMD cpu's in the past, but those were custom-built, and anything pre-built has more chance of working :P

I'd go for custom-building one, with an i5 personally, there isn't that much difference between i5 and i7, and the difference in cost can be used for more RAM, or a better graphics card, you really won't need much more for Skyrim :thumbup:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Although I personally like Intel better, I've used AMD and I think they're pretty good too. I've used an AMD processor and that computer lasted longer than most my Intel computers. Just goes to show that they're the same in my opinion. (not performance wise but durability)

@Ambler: I think 16GB is more than enough RAM than I'll ever need, and I'm content with the HD7850.

@Sbrideau: Good to know, thank you!

Going to order this later today hopefully. :).

4K469.png

All stores that had it for $950 were out of stock.. had to buy it from Wal-mart for $1050. :P. Still think it was a great deal.

4K469.png

-fixed-

4K469.png

-fixed-

4K469.png

The monitor has a VGA cable , a DVI cable, and a plug for HDMI. The computer desktop only has the DVI port, the HDMI port, and 2 mini display ports.

Do I only need to connect the DVI cable to be able to use the computer, or do I need the VGA as well?

4K469.png

Just one will do.

I know im late but i would look at buying a 60-120gb SSD to boot and install basic programs. The performance difference is abysmal,

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

Ah yes, I figured it out shortly after posting here. Getting used to the computer right now. :P.

Thinking about getting an SSD as well. :). Thank you.

4K469.png

• 3 weeks later...

Power Supply is a bit low if you ever want to SLI (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) another graphics card, but it's easily replaced if you ever do want to do that so doesn't really matter.

Nice machine :P

Asmodean <3