RuneScape Latin American Spanish: Now Live

Suiku

Native spanish speaker here, thought I would never see this day. I've been laughing since I logged, the names of ports captains is probably the best lol...

Spanish is my second language, not first, but I fully expected odd, awkward translations. I've never really met any Brits in or out of the game that had any knowledge of Hispanic language or culture. I was thinking they'd go with Castillian at first, but then I noticed a RSOF thread measuring interest for this sort of server, and the responses were clearly from Latin Americans. That said, however, unless they've recruited more employees from the Americas (I say "Americas" because I'm referring to anyone speaking Spanish in North and South America), I say I'm not surprised they're still fumbling.

The only other thing is that Spanish is not completely the same throughout the Americas, either. I don't exactly have a lot of faith in Jagex to choose what might be considered "standard" Latin American Spanish... or what the majority of their Spanish-speaking players will agree on. We'll see, right?

Right now I'm looking at the website and the wiki in Spanish... my translation skills aren't that good by comparison, but it seems so clunky.

That's why I'm interested in the quick chat system. What phases did they include that are are only relevant to one area?

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

The only other thing is that Spanish is not completely the same throughout the Americas, either. I don't exactly have a lot of faith in Jagex to choose what might be considered "standard" Latin American Spanish... or what the majority of their Spanish-speaking players will agree on. We'll see, right?

Actually, there's a "neutral spanish" which is the one spoken in some parts of Venezuela (usually used for voice-overs/translations), some parts of Mexico and Chile (altho mostly of Venezuelan ancestry). So they'll probably go with that. Out of those, you're right, spanish in latin america varies way too much between locations. Hell, in my country, which is roughly 4m population, there are at least 7 different accents. But pretty much all native speakers know how to speak "neutral spanish" or in the very least keep the modism usage minimal.

That's why I'm interested in the quick chat system. What phases did they include that are are only relevant to one area?

Haven't checked qc yet, but from what I could see from the translations of the items, they are going for the "neutral spanish".

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

I've always wondered why Brazilian Portuguese existed before Spanish. I think Portuguese may rank higher than Spanish for most spoken languages, but at that Chinese ranks the highest and so far there is no dedicated servers for that. So at the very least I expected it to have been there with Portuguese.

It has to do with demographics, I imagine. There are fewer RuneScape players in China, so even though more people speak the language, there's less demand. I think they did Portuguese before Spanish because more of the people who speak Spanish also speak English already...or something like that.

They ban Chinese players when they try to play anyway.

• Like 2

Actually, there's a "neutral spanish" which is the one spoken in some parts of Venezuela (usually used for voice-overs/translations), some parts of Mexico and Chile (altho mostly of Venezuelan ancestry). So they'll probably go with that.

Thank you-- that explains a lot for me for what I can understand easily when watching Latin American media. I would be guessing they'll also use that if they do voice acting, yes?

I haven't been able to check out the in-game content yet because my box is running Linux, and the Java browser plug-in is disabled (haven't tried getting around that-- Chrome doesn't seem to like the open source version). The client launcher for HikariKnight's implementation of the client doesn't load the homepage that has the drop down language menu, so it's currently impossible to access those servers unless I go in and change that part of the script manually (which is what we did for a time for the EoC beta).

So for now I pestered my wife to have a look at it... I'll see how that goes.

The client launcher for HikariKnight's implementation of the client doesn't load the homepage that has the drop down language menu, so it's currently impossible to access those servers unless I go in and change that part of the script manually (which is what we did for a time for the EoC beta).

Uh... HK's client has "Language" in the top left...

Though it's possible that Spanish may not have been added to that list yet.