Slayer �Essentials� and some other questions

PolarBearBlue

So hopefully in a month I plan on putting a lot more focus into 99 slayer and I want to make sure I have enough of the “essentials”  that offer the ability to train the skill efficiently or do as I please.

Here are my current stats.

Polarbearblu.png

This is the following list of items I so far have thought I would take time in getting for slayer/of what I already have. What I already have is in bold.

Armor

Full slayer helm

Fire Cape, Alerter, and God cape

Full GWD Set (minus helms)

Arcane Stream

Fury

TokHaar-Kal

Weapon

Chaotic Maul

Chaotic Staff

Royal Crossbow

Extras

Bonecrusher

Demonhorn necklace

Herbicide

Gem bag

Charming imp

Royal Cannon

I realistically plan to upgrade from a Maul to Drygore Maces now that I have the level for them, but I don’t when that will happen because I'm poor. I also have a Staff of Light and t70 wand/book. Lastly I have full Tetsu...thou I don't think I'll need to use it for slayer...

I like to ask for improvements to my list and additions I should consider. Once again my budget is small…very small. You can assume I’m starting with 0 gp. I am saving cash for upgrading melee to t90 weapons or magic to t90. So I’ll likely ignore suggestions to getting DKS rings, Saradomin necklaces in favor of suggestion like getting Drygore maces. From what I remember, the improvement in those items over what I have is small. But if that's changed then please let me know. Thank you.

EDIT: Dungeoneering related question. Currently I have the Berserker ring class for Dungeoneering since now I use melee, but historically I've used range when doing Dungeoneering. So I've thought about making my ring class Sniper, doing the easy/med dung task and setting the second class to Desperado. But I only have a vague idea of what binds to own at my level. Should I just keep Berserker, or would Sniper + Desperado be good?

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Full void is almost completely useless for slayer (especially if you don't already have them), because of the existence of slayer helms giving the same bonus on slayer targets, even Akrisae's or Warpriest armor will give you more benefit over void, so you can safely ignore that.

Fury is good enough for all 3. Zilyana necklaces gives only a very small bonuses over fury, you can focus on something else. Hiss is quite useless though due to Arcane stream.

For magic, you might want to get a T75 staff (something cheap like say Polypore or the Blessed Ancient staff if you have elite desert task) will keep you going for a while.

Also, for DG, I personally suggest getting Bonecrusher, Demon Horn and Arcane Stream necklace before getting Chaotic staff, since the former 3 doesn't have an equivalent or superior version available elsewhere, but chaotic staff is trumped by both Virtus and Seismic (sure, Virtus isn't cheap, but once you do get it at some point, chaotic staff will cease to do anything for you, while the former 3 will continue to be of benefit).

I am sure there will be other opinions regarding the Chaotic staff argument, but, I don't settle for a second/third best when there are other best (and usable) choices available.

For power armor though, since you already have SS and I assume you can sustain the continued use of normal Prayer potions, you may want to try the Fremmenik armor (that is, Rockshell, Spined and Skeletal armor) until you get enough for GWD power armors (the armor on those are quite low though, so it might not actually be usable for higher level slayer targets, but I am just throwing this out here, since these exist).

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Thanks a lot. I was hoping to avoid buying GWD sets with void but I guess I have to suck it up now. Also, I have a staff of light, but I ignored listing it since I the changes to magic meant it was sort nerf'd.

29386_s.gif

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

For general use, Void is limited due to its low armor and LP boost, probably best used only in places where you expect soul split to consistently overheal you or you simply don't take damage. The only two places I can think of are Barrows and off task Ganodermic beasts (The former because you can avoid taking damage from at least 4 brothers, the latter because soul splitting with impact will ensure you never lose health fast enough for void's low armor to be an issue).

For slayer, nothing trumps GWD/Nex armors.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Where can't you survive with just soul split? Sure void has a low LP boost, but it should have a high enough DPS to heal. With a wand and off-hand, you can easily cast/momentum fast enough to fully heal, using a bonecrusher and demonhorn. Or am I missing something?

09144a99bb.png

She is broke. Even Ah Wand and book still cost a good 8m, and she is slaying.

Unless Barrage as already nerfed into the ground before already, magic damage is now entirely dependent on weapon level as opposed to only partially dependent. Not sure if that will affect her healing from SS though, I haven't used wand/book since that update.

To top it off, Void is only really usable outside of tasks, inside of it, Slayer helm and GWD/Nex armors still trump void.

tim_chenw2.png

Ah, I'd forgotten about the slayer helmet. Would Virtus and a Slayer helmet out DPS full Virtus (it has a boosted bonus for the set, right?)? Sorry, I've not played in a while - but I think when my brother got 91-99 Slayer in about 10 days, I don't think he used the slayer helmet. I'll ask him when he gets home from work. :P.

09144a99bb.png

As far as I could tell, the 10% 'bonus' of power armor is a misunderstanding of vaguely worded text from various places. The '10%' comes from this; when you wield the same weapon tier as the power armor, your gross damage is boosted by approximately 10% (it's approximate because the total damage from all parts of the set do not add up quite to 10% due to rounding errors). As your weapon tier goes up, your overall % goes down because the denominator got larger, but the absolute value do not change.

Wearing less pieces of the set do not suddenly completely lose you that 10% either, you just lose whatever was on what you didn't choose to wear (in this discussion, the helm). So in effect, by combining slayer helm with GWD/Nex pieces, you have the benefit of both,

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png

I guess I should have mentioned all the equipment I do have. I do have a Wand of Treachery and Ahrim's book, but thanks to the recent update to magic, I didn't know how well that would serve me.

I also guessed I should have asked this early on, but I wasn't thinking about it until now since it's unrelated to slayer. Currently I have the Berserker ring class for Dungeoneering since now I use melee, but historically I've used range when doing Dungeoneering. So I've thought about making my ring class Sniper, doing the easy/med dung task and setting the second class to Desperado. But I only have a vague idea of what binds to own at my level. Should I just keep Berserker, or would Sniper + Desperado be good?

29386_s.gif

i used warpriest for slayer and it worked fine. occasionally needed to ss, and used ss constantly on tasks like black demons.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Haven't read all of the previous replies in their entirety, apologies if I repeat something here.

Herbicide is a nice addition to the slaying arsenal. The XP is pretty low, but it can add up to quite a bit of time/gp saved in the long run. Also, upgrading to the Kiln cape would be beneficial because of the higher bonuses over fire cape.

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

Thanks for the suggestions. The Kiln cape is out of reach since I still am unable to do Fight Caves (Deathtouch Dart FTW). But I suppose I"ll try again so I can try to get the Kiln cape.

29386_s.gif

Do this!

Sacrificing_fire_cape.gif

(you know you want to)

Although, Fight Kiln definitely is much easier than the Fight Caves.

The thing that made Jad annoying, to me, was that you had to pay attention to the healers, which meant you were much more likely to miss a prayer switch.

In the kiln, you're 1v1 with Jad (apart from the double Jad wave), so you can pay full attention to Jad's attack and change prayer accordingly.

And besides, TzTok-Jad = 40k LP, while TokHaar-Jad have only 7900 LP. You can pretty much 4-hit every Jad in the Fight Kiln, they'll be dead before you can even realize they're dead.

There's the double Jad wave, but you can easily safespot one of the two so that you only have one of them on you (not to mention the invulnerability crystals.)

For comparison's sake:

TzTok-Jad: Has the potential to 1HKO you if you misclick/lag/get distracted

Har-Aken: Walk in the park, the tentacles (and the head) do barely any damage and, chances are, you will still have at least one invulnerability crystal when you reach Har-Aken if you feel like using it there.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice again. I do appreciate the help. I also updated the first post to reflect what I do have now and the other non slayer related question I have.

29386_s.gif

Haven't read all of the previous replies in their entirety, apologies if I repeat something here.

Herbicide is a nice addition to the slaying arsenal. The XP is pretty low, but it can add up to quite a bit of time/gp saved in the long run. Also, upgrading to the Kiln cape would be beneficial because of the higher bonuses over fire cape.

also leaves the floor nice and tidy! i much prefer it that way to not miss drops

• Like 1
baileydafrog.png