Can we get some OSRS F2P promotion?

I don't think it is tip.its place to plug, advertise or offer 'official' support any Runescape update to any specific game.

They are a fansite to provide neutral guides and for fans to discuss and debate upon.

It's up to Jagex to advertise their own updates and fans to pass the message on if they so wish.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm not talking about endorsing it, I'm just talking about making some sort of content that will alert players it actually exists, cos as Saradomin Mage states, not everyone knows it exists.

"OSRS currently has a F2P trial. You can play it here." would be good enough.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Making such an advert is, by virtue, endorsing it.

As I said in my eyes it is none of tip.its business to support or otherwise promote specific updates or content - it is up to Jagex to promote it adequately.

Plus in this case I feel it would be almost rigging the results to offer it extra exposure. The whole point is people interest make f2p accounts and after the short trial they can evaluate the worth of having f2p servers. If everyone goes and looks just because their favourite fansite posted a link it'll skew the results of the trial into interest with an influx of people who do not even know what OSRS is and do not care about it in the slightest taking a look just because.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

A runescape fansite mentioning that the old school version of runescape having a F2P trial is something that should be expected.

A fansite mentioning the trial is a part of what Jagex would expect to attract new members to their game, and wouldn't invalidate the results, it's extraordinary for it not to happen and it NOT happening would be a bigger oddball that would skew the results.

A Runescape fansite not even mentioning it could be construed as anti-OSRS.

CNqWHdA.jpg

But tip.it does not mention, advertise or otherwise promote any other news or update, so why should this be any different just because you happen to enjoy osrs and want attention brought to it?

If tip.it made a point of making a fanfare about every piece of RS news by all means plaster it everywhere - but the fact is it does not and as such I see zero reason why 1 specific piece of news should receive special treatment especially in a case that could easily skew the results of a trial run.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

A F2P trial for a previously exclusively P2P version of the game is a big deal and not like a new graphical update to a sword or whatever. I think you're intentionally being difficult as it seems pretty clear to me how it's not the same thing.

On reflection I think it speaks more about an inactive fansite than an uncaring one, though. Ultimately it's not a big deal either way as I'm sure tip.it won't get much traffic of people that want to try the F2P trial and don't already know about it, I just struggle to imagine any other gaming site ignoring a major thing like this.

But tip.it does not mention, advertise or otherwise promote any other news or update

http://forum.tip.it/topic/273054-update-teasers/

http://forum.tip.it/forum/339-runescape-news/

CNqWHdA.jpg

I am not being difficult, I do not think it is any different.

They are both just news stories.

Also I don't think your 'evidence' amounts to much.

1 is a simple rss feed bot of the newsfeed, nothing special. Could OSRS as a whole perhaps use one too? Possibly, but certainly not a special announcement with banners and stickies for a specific update.

The other was a thread for content being specifically given to fansites to tease updates - it wasn't just plugging random news stories being hyped. It was content made by Jagex specifically for fansites to post in the form of images of next weeks update.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

An OSRS feed just like we have for RS3 is realistic and I'll see about adding it in.

I do think it's a dramatic overreaction to claim that we are anti-OSRS by not advertising OSRS news posts...

Tip.It doesn't have an agenda.

Regarding OSRS site content in general we have received a small number of requests. I have been planning on polling the community but at this point it's hard to justify dedicating time to OSRS when our RS3 content still needs updating.

We are considering launching a community-sourced type of section on the website which would solve this problem if enough people wanted to help out.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Tip.it is largely user driven. What you've noticed as a "lack of promotion" is simply a lack of user interest. There are few players here who actually play OSRS and as a result there are few discussion topics on it. It's definitely a massive jump to conclusions to think we're anti-OSRS -- this site exists because it's maintained by people who love the game. 

I'll post a thread shortly. In the future feel free to post OSRS things yourself, Powerfrog, nothing stopping you! :) Feel free to PM any of the moderation staff too if you need any help regarding forum threads, questions, or to possibly try arranging anything OSRS event-wise! (In the case of that last thing, @Stev the Moderator Leader or @Randox the Administrator would be great candidates to talk to.)

Being a user driven site, users who take the initiative in things like this are what help shape Tip.it's community and keep it thriving. Please don't be shy about posting things like this or making more suggestions even if you can't help out in certain areas. I'm sure promoting OSRS could be a very fun undertaking, provided there are individuals like yourself who care about OSRS able to volunteer to post, speak with staff, and discuss the game in our Oldschool Runescape subforum... :)

But tip.it does not mention, advertise or otherwise promote any other news or update

http://forum.tip.it/topic/273054-update-teasers/

http://forum.tip.it/forum/339-runescape-news/

The update teasers thread was created due to the Fansite Support program Jagex ran in order to display teasers for the game. That sort of fell to the wayside when we stopped receiving teasers. Now it's simply a place for users to discuss upcoming updates -- again, user driven content here. Just to make that clear :) I believe your other concerns regarding the Runescape News forum was already addressed by .

hzvjpwS.gif

Per your request for OSRS news update on Tip.It, an Old School RuneScape News forum has been added, and we are looking into a way to add these updates to the homepage (as you see now for RS3).
Thank you for the suggestion, Powerfrog!

Would it be possible for the newsbot to differentiate between RS3 and OSRS posts?

For example, I have no idea which game this is for:

d31427c0ed.png

Without actually viewing the thread, which is a pain. Would it be possible to add RS3/OSRS to the titles of these to differentiate?

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

^ I was wondering that as well with both bots running now it would be nice if the title was appended at least for OSRS if not both; just so we can tell without clicking.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Would it be possible for the newsbot to differentiate between RS3 and OSRS posts?

For example, I have no idea which game this is for:

d31427c0ed.png

Without actually viewing the thread, which is a pain. Would it be possible to add RS3/OSRS to the titles of these to differentiate?

^ I was wondering that as well with both bots running now it would be nice if the title was appended at least for OSRS if not both; just so we can tell without clicking.

Good ideas. All future news posts will have either [RS3] or [OSRS] tags. Thanks to @MageUK for setting it up.
  • Like 1