World Football Championship

Jonanananas

I actually think that LFC should stick by him like they did with the Ivanovic and Evra incidents. One rationale for doing so is that he is their key player and with all the speculations on potential transfer, issuing their own punishment just gives him a reason to move - something that LFC cannot recover from (much like Tottenham last season, regardless of how much they receive). With LVG at ManU, this will probably send LFC back into Oblivion. Especially if Uruguay FA decides to back him later on today, there's no reason for LFC to punish him. Any punishment is likely to be handed down via FIFA and only enforced domestically by the English FA if they are mandated. 12 months might be something they would work off, realistically that means 10-15 games. Any publicity can become good publicity - I'm sure there are still plenty of clubs who would want him in their team. Just think of him like other troubled stars in the football circle and beyond.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

Yeah, I'm just saying from a fan's perspective I don't give a shit if she's the star player. I want the team to hold him accountable themselves. There are greater things than football in the world.

Pumped for Germany vs. USA. A good start so far :)

A solid, but not an enchanting game by the German team so far. Though I guess that's understandable if a draw is sufficient for the group lead.

Also one more goal for Ghana and my prediction will be true, even though I think the US team would deserve it more.

Edited by Jonanananas

I would've expected more against a Portugal that knew it had no real chance of going further, and without a completely fit Ronaldo

Maybe without the Boateng and Muntari issue it might have worked, who knows. But this way I think the best two teams made it, so that's good.

Looks like it's going to be a Germany vs Netherlands final. I was really hoping Argentina would make it to the finals but i can't see them beating Netherlands at the moment.

Kind of sucks, i was hoping to see them in the finals.

Anyone have some predictions for the knockouts?

In addition to Brazil and Columbia going through to the Quarters, my predictions for the remaining games are (probably horribly wrong like my group stage predictions):

Netherlands v Mexico

Costa Rica v Greece

France v Nigeria

Germany v Algeria

Argentina v Switzerland

Belgium v USA

I expect to see a variation of Germany, France and the Netherlands in the final. Columbia are the only none-European team I could see in the final.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Actually typed this up yesterday and never posted. I was expecting a close game between Brazil and Chile, but damn..

My predictions for the knockouts:

Brazil 2 -1 Chile

Col 0 -1 Uru

Fra 3 - 1 Nga

Ger 4 - 0 Alg

Ned 2 - 1 Mex

Crc 2 - 1 Gre ( Crc wins in extra/over time)

Arg 2 - 1 Sui 

Bel 2 - 0 USA

Bra 1 - 0 Uru

Ger 2 - 0 Fra

Ned 3 - 0 Crc

Arg 1 - 0 Bel

Ger 3 - 1 Bra

Ned 3 - 2 Arg

Ger 2 - 4 Ned 

Not going to bother with trying to predict the goals, that would be pretty much wild guessing for my part. Not that my predictions aren't. Anyways:

Eighth Finals:

Netherlands - Mexico*

Costa Rica - Greece*

France - Nigeria

Germany - Algeria

Argentina - Switzerland~*

Belgium - USA~*

Quarter Finals:

Brasil - Columbia~

France - Germany*

Netherlands - Costa Rica

Argentina - Belgium~

Semi-Finals

Columbia - Germany~

Netherlands - Belgium

Finals:

Netherlands - Germany~ (Here's to hoping)

All those marked with a ~ are those I'm very unsure about. All marked with a * are those I think will require extra time and possibly a penalty shoot-out.

Edit: Wow, the Dutch are not doing well so far. Is this going to be the next sensation?

What a devastating 6 minutes for Mexico, 1-0 up until the 88th minute and then lose 2-1 with a 94th minute penalty. Clever tactics from the Dutch though in that heat. Credit to Mexico though, gutted for them.

SLwQsg1.png

Dear Lord, the first 45 minutes against Algeria were the worst of our Team so far. Several serious mistakes, we're lucky we haven't received a goal yet. I hope that the next half will look better...

I actually think, after the last few matches, that this WC is going to get a lot more interesting.  The Brazil - Colombia game will definitely be a good one.

I'm very curious to see what's going to happen between the Argentina - Belgium game, though. According to statistics, Belgium and Argentina are the top two teams for attempts at goal. They're also the two teams who have conceded the least amount of goals (well Argentina has conceded one more than Belgium). On paper though, Argentina should have a bit of an advantage having committed less fouls and having a slightly better passing game. It only really takes a bit of magic from Messi and Di Maria. These two teams seem to match up extremely well though. It's going to be interesting.

my judgment hinged on history repeating itself (1974).

Seems like some are converging on my prediction some weeks ago. But I do hope for a different outcome this time around. That said, it is becoming an increasingly remote possibility; I cannot see the Oranje going through without De Jong and possibly Fer. And even if Germany win against France, they will struggle vs either Brazil or Columbia. 

While I respect Hitzfeld with his approach to this WC and the Argentina game, there are some serious questions with regards to decision to substitute Drmic and bench Barnetta. Keeping a clean sheet vs Argentina for 117 minutes in round-16 is remarkable for an overachieving Swiss side nonetheless. 

I read about the FIFA panel considering the possibility of a 4th sub for extra time starting from WC2018. Thoughts? 

Brazil v Columbia

France v Germany

Netherlands v Costa Rica

Argentina v Belgium

Brazil haven't looked particularly dangerous all tournament so I can't see them going any further. France v Germany is a tough one to call and whilst I'd like Germany to win, they've struggled since beating Spain and I think France will punish them for it.

I think the Netherlands' strike force is just too much for Costa Rica and tactically they're very strong. Argentina are a one man team and Belgium would have buried the USA in normal time were it not for Howard's heroic performance.

SLwQsg1.png

I hate to spoil the feel-good atmosphere around the potential of the USA team, but they have a long way to go before even replacing any one of the historic top 8...decades. I have rewatched all of the round 16 games, imo they were the most outplayed team (regardless of what the scoreline suggests) out of the 16. I do appreciate all the internet memes and applauds on Howard though, very amusing...the Wikipedia one is a personal favourite.

I agree with @BloodAngel, that they are too reliant on Neymar and attacks driven from the wings. They are also lacking adequate midfield support in the final 1/3. France is showing what a strong team it can be if they don't rebel and fight among themselves...one can only wonder what could have happened in 2010 - though traditionally it's the Netherlands who fight..some sort of Ajax/Cruijff-esque theorist vs BVM/LVG pragmatist, like the rumoured Sneijder vs RVP in qualifying.

Not sure what happened with the Netherlands but they're not looking like they'll get to the Finals. I'm going to say that Argentina will probably beat them in the Semi's now, and meet Germany in the finals. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Yesterday's match didn't look spectacular, but if Costa Rica knows one thing, it's how to defend. The Dutch were essentially going up against 9 defensive players. And they still had some chances, even if it wasn't that many. With a bit more luck, they could very well have won it before penalties. Also, Argentina's style of play should suit them much better, when they can yield possession of the ball and wait for chances to strike quickly. I'm still betting on the Netherlands to go through.

Brasil just started becoming a bit more independent from Neymar, but it's still a very harsh blow for them. With him and Thiago Silva missing, Germany has a good chance. The German team is hard to judge. Against Algeria, the defense was reeling, but against France it looked quite well. The offense rarely manages to create great chances, but one way or another, they still managed to score goals so far. It's not as beautiful as it used to be though, with creative players like Özil and Götze playing way below their possibilities and Khedira and Schweinsteiger still not being quite fit.

Shame Marco Reus couldn't play.

It is, but I'm not sure how much that would've fixed actually. I think he might have had the same issues as Özil and Götze, which seems to be the aggressiveness with which many games in this world cup have been fought. They seem not to be able to properly adjust to that. Though admittedly that can't be all of it...