Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Notebook shutting down ? Help me out here...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

My ASUS notebook keeps shutting down after 10 minutes of use. I also get this black screen when I try to start it.

It might be a broken fan or something, does any one know how to activate the fan on my notebook ?

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,020 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

If it suddenly shuts off that is probably caused by the fan not being able to cool it forcing it to shut off as a safety mechanism so that your computer does not fry itself. Is it hot when it does this? Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's an easy way to replace the fan. When I had the same issue I had to go yell at the company which worked because it was under warranty still and they replaced it.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

Posted Image
Posted Image

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Yea, it gets pretty hot, enough to burn my hand. I'll be taking it back tomorrow, thank you. :)

I might invest into a cooling pad also.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

If you still have warranty for it, that'll be the best solution. Else you can open it and remove all the dust etc. to see if that helps. It can make a lot of difference

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,675 posts

Yea, it gets pretty hot, enough to burn my hand. I'll be taking it back tomorrow, thank you. :)

I might invest into a cooling pad also.

Don't spend more than like $5 on a cooling pad. They make cheap ones that are literally just plastic and fans and they work just as well.

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Is a cooling pad a safe alternative to repairing my fan ?

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
  • RuneScape Status:None

Even though it will help, it is most definitely never a safe alternative on its' own.  You should get that fan repaired/replaced, and whatever dust is in there removed.  However, having a cooling pad in the future beyond that will help your system stay cooler, possibly helping the internal fan last longer, as well as provide more airflow to prevent dust getting stuck in there as easily. :geek:

~D. V. "A helpful note..." Devnull

(p.s.: I hope your attempts to turn it on already haven't happened to fry something.)

Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,675 posts

You need to repair your fan and get a cooling pad.

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Supposedly Future Shop is merging with Bestbuy.

I wonder how I can put my warrenty to use ? How much would it cost to repair my fan without a warrenty ?

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,020 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Is the store you bought it from closed now? Assuming not, I'd just take it back there and talk to them. Usually these things get quite pricey without warranties, plus you run the risk of damaging it irreparably if you don't know what you're doing, and they won't cover that :(.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

Posted Image
Posted Image

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Yea, Future Shop closed down and combined with Best Buy.

This means I have to take it to a repair shop instead.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,675 posts

Should be pretty easy to replace your fan on your own. Just make sure you disconnect the power supply first.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

Yea, Future Shop closed down and combined with Best Buy.

Sometimes the chains they merge into will still honor the warranties offered by the old store. Aside from that, if you recently purchased it there's like a limited manufacturer warranty still in play. Explore those avenues first and see what it will cost you to go through these channels before dropping it off at a repair shop. Be a smart consumer.

hzvjpwS.gif

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Like whoa [bleep], a new fan is goiong to cost me 140-200 dollars.

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I
Fans shouldn't really cost more than $30 USD (especially for older machines), they are often mass produced anyway.

If it is $120 including the cost for the some guy in a tech shop to replace and "source" the part then you might as-well do it yourself or get a tech savvy friend to do so, if you are certain you cannot use your warranty because you aren't at risk of voiding your warranty if you are no longer eligible for it.

What model is your Asus?
Luck be a Lady

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Not sure about the model but yes, most of the cost is for labour. Really hope I didnt fry the thing trying to turn it on a bunch of times.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,675 posts

Laptop fans are usually one of the easiest parts to replace. Don't pay someone $120 to do it for you.

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Do you have access to a repair guide ?

I might just take your advice...

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I
You should have the manuals that describe the process of taking apart the laptop, and it will also direct you as to where and how to access the motherboard so you can replace the fan unit.

Just make sure you buy a fan that is compatible with your notebook.
Luck be a Lady

Gang Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Gang Sabre

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 572 posts

Alright, Ive found the problem.

My laptop is running a Gaming Mouse and a 5.1 home theature. Thats prolly what happpened, and, my fan is magically working again. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users