2017 New Music

Kalphite

Figured I would actually make a new thread here for a change haha. This is a place to discuss anything about music that comes out this year - your favorite songs/albums that have come out, anything you're excited for that's coming out, any concerts you're planning on going to this year, etc. I'm hoping we can have a bit more discussion here than we typically get out of the what are you listening to thread.

Anyways, I'll start. The start of the year has been pretty slow but there have finally been some good albums starting to come out! I've been obsessing over this new Teen Daze album. Really beautiful ambient indie stuff.

I've been digging the new Sampha album a lot too. At its core its some really well-produced R&B, but its super well done. He has a super unique voice, a really ineresting lyrical style, and a bunch of really diverse influences in his music. Not the biggest name, but for anybody who listened to Kanye's The Life of Pablo last year he was the guest vocalist on his song Saint Pablo. This is one of my favorites from the album:

As for things I'm excited for, Future just announced a new album coming out this Friday that I'm hoping is good. Considering going to see him this summer but he's playing at an outdoor venue that's kind of far from my city so I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing it. Animal Collective has an EP coming out this friday too that I hope is good but after how disappointing the first single was and how mediocre last year's album is I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

How about the rest of you all?

Oh baby. I think I've posted about 'em over the way, but I've only really heard Bowie's new EP and Bonobo's new album so far this year. They were both pretty neat. As far as I can think of at the moment, there aren't any artists that have confirmed a new album this year that I'm crazy about. I heard Tub Ring are dropping a new EP, and if I can find it, I'll definitely check that out. I think Marilyn Manson has something in the works too, which, though their previous two efforts have been pretty lackluster, I'm still excited for. Past that I can't think of anything.

New Queens of the Stone Age please.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

System of a Down new album 2017! GET HYPE

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Ulan Bator is pumping out albums now for some reason. They released one last year that was pretty good (low key one of the best albums of the year, if you can tolerate noisy french post-rock):

The new album just sounds weird so I'm not really looking forward to it

Also, Early Day Miners are apparently releasing an album this year (their first in 6 years). They were one of the best slowcore bands back in the early 2000s and then they made 2 pop albums and disappeared off the face of the earth. Now they're back, apparently. I do not expect this album to be any good, but it should be ok if they go back to slowcore. Nobody makes slowcore anymore

It's a pretty weak year when that's all I really have to look forward to. I guess that's what happens when pretty much everyone released an album in 2016.

Oh and Tortoise is coming to gainesville in march. I might go there and take a nap or something

• Like 1

Neil Cicierga put out another mashup album. The last two were really good, and this one did not disappoint either.

Someday Lauren O'Connell's gonna put out her new album I backed on Kickstarter almost a year ago...

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

What is up with youtube links no longer opening in here for me?

Also, two albums from [bleep]ing great artists were released on 13th of January, both the one from aforementioned Bonobo and also the xx.

I felt like the Bonobo album relies too much on that one African inspired cymbal (?) sound thingy, earlier albums were a bit more varied...

On Hold is epic. Haven't found another one I like that much on the album by the xx yet.

Otherwise, am not too familiar with what comes out this year. I listen to too different stuff all the time, so I can't keep track of it all.

Also, Deadmau5 comes to Estonia this year. And I think I'll be abroad at the time... And I really really really really really really would like to see him live.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

What is up with youtube links no longer opening in here for me?

I had the same issue. I think it's a chrome thing. There's a little shield on the url bar that says that this site is trying to load scripts from unathententicated sources: I wonder if the forum software has its own implementation of the youtube embedding script? That way they can disallow certain features (like autoplay). TIF's https certificate also seems to have expired, because chrome is complaining about that too, so it's entirely possible.

Either way, I just clicked that and then clicked Load and they loaded for at least that page visit.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Is our poor TIF dying? Can that even happen?

Ulan Bator is pumping out albums now for some reason. They released one last year that was pretty good (low key one of the best albums of the year, if you can tolerate noisy french post-rock):

The new album just sounds weird so I'm not really looking forward to it

Also, Early Day Miners are apparently releasing an album this year (their first in 6 years). They were one of the best slowcore bands back in the early 2000s and then they made 2 pop albums and disappeared off the face of the earth. Now they're back, apparently. I do not expect this album to be any good, but it should be ok if they go back to slowcore. Nobody makes slowcore anymore

It's a pretty weak year when that's all I really have to look forward to. I guess that's what happens when pretty much everyone released an album in 2016.

Oh and Tortoise is coming to gainesville in march. I might go there and take a nap or something

Holy shit that song you posted is incredible, I'll definitely have to check out more Ulan Bator

I couldn't really get into the Bonobo or xx albums for some reason, idk why because I love their previous stuff.

Also new SOAD what???? I never thought I'd see that day haha, 7th grade me would be shitting bricks right now

I didn't know it's been 12 years since their last album. I kinda just assumed that they put out a bunch of mediocre albums that never charted like a bunch of bands from that era. Korn has 12 albums now lol

Well if you count Serj's and Daron's side project bands, SOAD has 9 albums...and it's the most interesting thing between Scars on Broadway and Serj's solo act - Scars on Broadway sounds exactly like SOAD minus Serj, and Serj by himself is lyrically and vocally exactly the same as SOAD, but the tone of the instrumental values is off. Together they're incredible, but split up System of a Down just doesn't sound right. AND IVE WAITED 12 LONG YEARS FOR THIS NEW ALBUM. IN AZKABAN!

New Nickelback single is not awful. New Linkin Park single is awful.

• 2 weeks later...

If only I was still a DJ I'd have so much to add to this.  I'll have to break into the station I worked at and go through their new music and report back.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Listened to the new Linkin Park song on the radio today... and did not like it :(.

• Like 1

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

New Sleaford Mods album is bangin'. I've never actually listened to a full album, and I thought it'd burn out a few tracks in, but this holds up well. Probably AOTY so far, but mostly because I've listened to like three this year.

While I'm here, too, King Gizzard dropped #1 of 5 albums this year. It was pretty swell too.

Also, another great video effort from the boys.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Fleet foxes is going to be coming out with a new album after a few years of hiatus. Words cannot describe to me how I am about this <3

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

If this link actually works this is a new song from the album.

Bow howdy...try and sell Dax on fleext foxes. For starters they are a folk indy band so if you don't like folk there is no point to try and sell you. If you do like folk or at least are curious I have a top 5 track list.

1. Mykonos
  2. Sim Sala Bim
  3. The Cascades
  4. Blue Ridge Mountains
  5. Tie between Your Protector and Oliver James.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

New fleet foxes song is wonderful, super glad to see someone else posted it here haha. Though I'm pretty salty that they're a band from Seattle and haven't included any Seattle dates on their current tour ;_;

• Like 1

I plan on going to see them in July in Maryland. It's my birthday gift :D

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...