Cooling/Silent PC solutions

Mercifull

We all love our PC's and we especially love them when they are nice and quiet. Unfortunatly high end pcs tend to run VERY hot now so its not uncommong to have a fan whirring away noisly inside a computer these days.

Mine unfortunatly is especially bad. I currently have watercooling on my CPU using the Thermaltake BigWater kit. I have also just purchased a new reservior for my pc so it can hold more coolant and will be easier to upgrade (when I got my kit it didnt come with one).

I am also considering getting the waterblock for the graphics card but im not really bothered about that right now as it seems to be pretty quiet.

So ive basicly got two fans running in my PC right now, one at the back blowing the radiator and one at the front sucking in air over the hard drive... now its the front one thats a right pain in the bitt. Its sooooooooo noisy that you can hear it even when my bedroom door is closed. Now it doesnt bother me when im listening to music but if i want to watch tv at the same time then i have to have it really loud which annoys other ppl etc.

The simple solution would simply be to replace the fan in the front for about a tenner which i will probably end up doing but i cant help pondering the possibility of not having a fan at all and was enquiring into other forms of hard drive cooling. Thermaltake make a HDD waterblock which will cool it down so I dont need the fan but I want to know of other peoples experiences with hard drive cooling and what tecniques people have used to keep things both cool and quiet.

Thanks for help.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The only real problem with those water blocks is the requirement of a 5.25 bay over the standard 3.5 bays.

If you have enough 5.25's i'd just take the water block option.

Either that or poke around Thermaltakes quite fan range. Still need rubber mounts on with them otherwise the vibration might start pissing you off :-?

When i fit my new reservour next weel ill have a play around and see if the fan is loose or something, clean out dust and see if i can get it a bit quieter. Otherwise theres fans from vantec which are supposed to be very quiet. i need to have a poke around the front of my case really. Could do with a bit of reorganising, i need to get a new DVD writer too soon :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

So far it looks like the fan is loose and teh friction is creating the noise. try putting a drop or two of oil in there. My laptop had a major fan problem, everytime i took it to school the fan would move just a tiny bit out of its propper place, and it would cause such a noise!!! isnt even possible to play a quick game of halo during science without being heard outside the door.

hard drives rarely get hot enough to need a fan, you could just chuck it and not really notice much of a difference in performance.

If you really want to keep it then you can reduce noise on fans using fan controllers to slow them down, rubber screws to hold them in and oiling their workings, or you could fork out for some nice quiet fans :)

what are your system temps?

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

System temps:

CPU: 29 c

Case: 35 c

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Hoho shows you what watercooling temperatures are like :D

I get 28 idle 30 load with air (Akasa AK-913).

One thing you could do is replace that front fan and then get a reserator instead of a radiator.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Replacing fans is alas what im gonna have to do. I just put a new reservour into my pc which dropped temps down a few more degrees.

Got a bunch of apps open and its at 28 degrees :D not too bad i could probs drop another degree if i closed some stuff i didnt need too :D

Can anyone reccomend some virtually silent 120mm fans please?

Dont been to be fancy with flashing lights or UV reactive plastic lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi