Shading..Help please.

cawnaw

think of where your lightsource will be.. then try make the shadows correspond with your lightsource... shading is all about an even gradient of shades... this takes alot of practise to find your own shading style and get good at it, some people who've gotten very good at their shading style are mxm and godslayer.

GL

-gandorf

runesad9bs.png

If I had to use that pose, this is how I would shade the warrior.

lol u just owned his pic :P gw

Yup.. Wow...:P

Ditto again :D

~komodo

daaaaaammmmm!!

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

runesad9bs.png

All you showed was the final shaded product, maybe show him a couple steps on how to get there, would seem kinda hard to figure out how to get from 0 all the way to that. Great pic nonetheless.

To shade, just start simple. Try 3 shades, one light, one dark, and one middle. Work with these three shades with some conformity (like all light shades on one side), pick a light source and think where places should be darker. Break it up into parts - work on the legs only, then arms, then body, then head, or so on.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

runesad9bs.png

~komodo

daaaaaammmmm!!

Stop showing off gs XD

Nice tho...

Shading is actually rly hard to explain - Mainly because It's just something you notice and pick up rather than trying to work it out.

runesad9bs.png

~komodo

daaaaaammmmm!!

Stop showing off gs XD

Nice tho...

Shading is actually rly hard to explain - Mainly because It's just something you notice and pick up rather than trying to work it out.

*quote spam!*

shading5og.png

^ Look, the lightsource is the sun.

You see the light falls on the box.

The piece of the box that is closer to the sun, will be brighter.

The piece of the box that is far away from the sun will be darker.

This is how you should shade:

This is what you should do zoomed in.

how2shade3co.png

When you zoom out, you get a nicely shaded effect.

Good luck getting the characters shaded! :wink:

record.jpeg

blownup3cu.png

Ok, first, I saw that there where a ton of excess colors, maily in his shoulder gaurds things, so I took them all out and made each all the objects have unified colors, meaning I used the same red for the whip that I used in the book, same rune color for the shoulders as the legs, etc. Then, I outlined it in black.

I started with the rune, deciding the light would come top-down, meaning the services top parts would be illuminated and those on bottom would be on darkness, so his breast would be farther out than his stomach, so I made that area lighter, with only a few spots of light in his abdomen, where the armour sticks out a bit. I made the tops of shoulders lighter, using at first simply the color of the rune plate just to give a basic indication as too where its brighter. I made the thigh area of the legs brighter using the same technique.

Then I began to think about shading, and decided I wanted to keep the colors and try not to add any to the pallete that wasn't already there, though it was very tempting to fetch a color darker than that red, it would have probably made for a nicer effect if I had. Anyways, I looked at the colors of his entire body, and found the lightest one to be white, so I used that as a highlight (because metal is highly shiny. You dont want to use so much light all the time), then I used the yellow to compliment it and tone it down so it wasn't so harsh againts the dark blue. I then used the flesh tone, the horn tone, then the helmet tone to fade it into the metal but still look very shiny. Doing this gave the metal a glowy feel, as if he's in bright light. I did the same for the plates, and added a reflected glow at the bottom of his chest area since his ribcage caught some light I figured it should do som reflecting. I used a dark line above the reflection to seperate it from the main part and make it look like how metal gets very dark right next to a reflected highlight.

I'm tired of typing. Ask me if you on't understand what I did, but I'm not going to but every single step out here, it'd take to long. There you go Cawnaw, I actualy helped you, I hope.

And guys, I don't think its showing off if its helping someone.

You're welcome.

Here's how I would make the Archer:

archer3cp.png

Owned yet again :P

Does he have a mustache on? If not then it looks like he does...

Also ownage lil decription, so much detail on such a lil part of a guide. If you made a whole massive guiude how to do that from Black paper to finish with as much detail as that little spot... Dam i would actually pay for that!

/goes to set up a paypal account

Anyways, here the mage done, next too the other two.

warriortrio3lj.png

If you really are, i should be payed within the next 4 days :)

And that is total and complete ownage!

Warrior is my favorite, mages top looks almost like gilded... But im not complaining it still owns!