Help me Lower My CPU Usage ?Please?

StrOwez

First the problem:

Right when i play runescape before the update my CPU usage was 100% this meant that if i opend anything else on my computer then sometimes it just crashed, now after the update its 85-90% still too much for me to risk playing my music on windows media player in case it just crashes again.

My system:

system:

Microsoft windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Computer:

Intel® Celeron CPU

1066MHz

1.06 GHz, 248MB of RAM.

Please any advice appreciated, also i have 2 anti virus software programmes maybe they are taking up the CPU usage these are AVG FREE and Norton AV.

Thanks

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Guest r3dh3adkid

You will probably need to upgrade your CPU and I doubt your memory is that I dont think it even comes in that I think you ment to put 256MB...maybe...

Sometimes, you have extra programs running that you don't know about. If you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the Task Manager will come up. You can then go to the Processes tab and look through the processes. If you see anything that is using an excessive amount of Memory Usage and you know for a fact that you never use the program, just end the process. Be careful though, sometimes you are using the programs your thinking of ending.

Firstly i find that celeron processors aren't that great, this is just my opinion but i prefer AMD processors because they seem more reliable.

Secondly if you turn the visualization off in mediaplayer, it lowers media player cpu usage to about 3% or possible 6% in your case.

Thirdly it might be an idea to ram for your computer.

RSN :: Wooden_Fire

Time Zone :: GMT

You can't compare 'celeron' to 'AMD' - one is a model the other is a brand. Celerons are the intel CPUs with less L2 cache - AMD has a similar model though I've forgotten what it was called now; it at least used to be called Sempron.

If the norton is up to date, you should keep that one.

Norton is a known resource hog, in fact some people have likened it to a virus by how it slows down your machine.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

If the norton is up to date, you should keep that one.
Norton is a known resource hog, in fact some people have likened it to a virus by how it slows down your machine.
Well, that's not very helpful if you already have norton. And I think a paid antivirus appliction is far better than a free one.

Personally, I have never had any troubles with Norton, although I do have a fast PC with plenty of RAM.

Ahh yes the wonderful and steadfast philosophy of 'if it costs more it is better'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_ant ... Criticisms

Some highlights from a better source of information than me:

According to an article by the Washington Post, Norton Antivirus has one of the worst average response times for providing virus definition updates based on the worst virus outbreaks of 2005, lagging behind every major competitor, including Kaspersky, F-Secure, Sophos, AntiVir, Trend Micro, F-Prot, Panda, AVG, Avast, and McAfee.

Despite its widespread adoption, it carries a reputation within parts of the computer enthusiast community as being slow and inefficient, difficult to uninstall, and ineffective. Some computer professionals have reported encountering machines infected with a virus despite having NAV installed and (in most cases) being fully up-to-date.

In addition, its GUI is considerably bogged down, especially on slower computers, because it is rendered using Internet Explorer's HTML engine instead of standard Windows graphic interface libraries.

Norton AntiVirus was criticized in the past because of Symantec's policy that allows spy software (keyloggers/backdoors) of US secret services, such as the FBI (Magic Lantern) and the CIA (Oasis), to bypass Norton's malware detection

I'd take AVG Free over norton any day.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

thanks for your time to help me out guys, am thinking of paying ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã200 for some programme called "Evidence Remover" which gets rid of old files that are still stored on my computer, my friend suggested it.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

I doubt your memory is that I dont think it even comes in that I think you ment to put 256MB...maybe...

He most likely is using intergrated graphics, which uses some ram as video ram, removing it from the avaible ram for other stuff. As for speeding it up, killing anything that is not being used will help. You may not be able to run WMP and RS a the same time due to your processor speed, but closing anything not in use will help speed things up.

Trophy Fish Caught: 3/3

99 Woodcutting 10-30-05

99 Firemaking 2-22-06

99 Fletching 9-27-07

to fix your problem... get rid of your processor. its celeron, its out of date. with a hard drive with those specs you should run rs fine. defrag, system clean up, and end processes of programs that are spyware/adware.

In refernce to the 2 Anti Virus programs, I always say to get rid of Norton, its way too controlling, over protective about the wrong things and just because it has a successful brand name suffers from inefficiency because its primary customers arent that computer literate and will do what they are told.

What i would do if i was in your situation:

Download, Spybot: Search And Destroy

and Adaware if you don't have them already,

as accumulated spy/adware can take its toll.

I could say to buy 256mb of ram to use because i think 512mb of ram is enough for most people, but that may not work, i have heard that celron processor's are eternally bad and slow (i think they put them in laptops commonly) so that may be your problem and you'll need another processor because no amount of ram can save you.

By the way I'm not at all a tech-headl, i just try to keep my computer secure and relatively fast, i don't know half as much as some other people that have posted, but i feel i might be able to give better advice because i am more at your level of knowledge :)

manipofsarahs1gg5.png