Smithing for range

Unitedite

I plan to mine and smith 750 iron ore, then smith it into something i can use to help get my range lvl up from 62 to 70 at fire giants.

Which would be better, arrows or darts? I'm not sure how well i'd hit fire giants with my range level without the bonus of a bow...

Can you pick darts up?

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

Knives would be a good bet, fast and cheap (dont need another ingredient, only 5 knives per bar though).

My other choice is arrows, darts are not worth the effort because they take too much feather (4 per dart i think)

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

You should make knives. If you have 60+ smithing, you can use the blast furnace, and it will only cost you around 25-40 gp per 5 iron knives if you buy the ores from the dwarf.

228/228 Qp

If you use the blast furnace, you might as well make both iron and steel knives. Iron knives in the blast furnace are THE BEST thing to make when the furnace is crowded - people rarely use up the iron, and it gets refilled much faster than the coal. You don't have to worry about mining your own iron that way.

Which would be better, arrows or darts? Can you pick darts up?
Darts: 15 per bar instead of 5 knives. Disadvantage: needs feathers (advantage: fletching xp). Yes they can be picked up like knives.

In another forum I've recently read a debate on this very subject. Hardly any players use darts, which would seem to indicate they are not as good. It's a matter of personal preference, really. Some feel they are slightly faster than knives, others say no. One person said they seem to poison the enemy slightly faster (assuming you've applied poison). Many say the aggravation of accumulating feathers makes it too frustrating (though you'd do the same if making arrows, of course).

Finally, to make darts you must have completed the Tourist Trap quest.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Thanks for the input folks :) I think i'll give knives a try because i've used arrows all the way so far, and i can't be bothered collecting/paying for all the feathers to use darts :)

Al right guys, I still would recommand steel knifes instead of iron.

Coal is VERY easy to get. Mischellina is your answer. And many more options.

And I want to remind you one thing though. Darts are worse than knives. I call them the archery version of daggers since they can't hit high.

Al right guys, I still would recommand steel knifes instead of iron.

Coal is VERY easy to get. Mischellina is your answer. And many more options.

And I want to remind you one thing though. Darts are worse than knives. I call them the archery version of daggers since they can't hit high.

Coal is pretty easy to get, but the 1500 coal i'd need i could sell for 300k, and i'm not sure it's worth that much for the small edge the steel offers.

I'll see where i get to with 4k iron knives, and possibly after that i'll experiment with steel instead.