Tidy up the mess of emoticons?

Because the emoticons are not of equal size, you end up with a really ugly looking mess that looks as though someone just threw darts at their screen and said "okay that's where they're going"

Suggest making them equidistant. If you arranged them so all the 15x15 ones were in a block, and then the larger ones were separate, that would help a lot.

Maybe I'll post some suggested html tomorrow.

Lets be honest tho... does it really matter? I dont think it looks like a mess :-/

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I guess I could see how it is a little "messy" but I think you're just splitting hairs at this point. :P Unless it is causing performance issues or is severely obtrusive to forum use, I don't see a reason to make albosky go in and do some fiddling.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

waaa waaa waaa :roll:
What're users for, right? :P

I guess I could see how it is a little "messy" but I think you're just splitting hairs at this point. Razz Unless it is causing performance issues or is severely obtrusive to forum use, I don't see a reason to make albosky go in and do some fiddling.
No need for that, all the fiddling can be done by me ;) Of course obviously an admin would actually have to be the one uploading the files, but I suppose you could always give me ftp access... :P

Example screenshot:

tifsmilies6rw.png

Example page: http://justcameron.com/temp/tifsmilies/example/

The changes:

• [*:jgpua6nv]Make the box less wide (don't think that's really an issue anyway with the large banner ads, anyone under 800x600 is going to get horizontal scrollbars regardless)

[*:jgpua6nv]Use a div and css margins (semantic markup)

[*:jgpua6nv]Reduce page filesize by about 1kb (that's not much.. but multiply it by x thousand posts per day...)

[*:jgpua6nv]Make it look "neater" - the original purpose

[*:jgpua6nv]Have been tested in Firefox 2.0, IE 6 and Opera 8.5

Now I just gotta see if I can implement it so it automagically adds new smilies (that are added with the admin CP) ..otherwise it might just be static :-?

Thoughts?

The problem with it is , the smilies werent added to the post body manually using html and javascript,

phpBB has a function that inserts them there based on a set number of rows and columns , and if the number of smilies exceeds said limit , it adds the "view more emoticons" link .

I would either have to re-write that function , which i just dont see the need for , or uninstall and reinstall all the smilies according to size , which I also dont really want to do .

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Lets just say, it dosen't have to be at the top of your list, instead something you can do on a rainy day when you have nothing else to do :P I really don't care all that much I just brought it up because there was a post about it, and I thought if you were going to do anything about it you might want to do it so it pleases more then one person, and to help with suggestions. I am personally fine with it, I know that having a longer and skinnier list would help with people on lower resolutions; which I am fortunately not one of :P.

Just remember cam that you have to be careful when playing with the database as to not mess up anyhting else. You also need to note that if you make any changes you have to make them on all templates used and if you ever have to upload template from backups you will have to remember exactly how you set up the database or the smilies will break.

To me it all seems like a complex and unneccesary waste of time and effort to put a few smilies on a seperate line. It looks fine to me, I dont thinks its messy and i dont understand the fuss.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12