Christian Music anyone?

woopidoo2

slick shoes nor MxPx are christian, however they do have a religion

here's lyrics from Slick Shoes song, Fall:

"Lord I'm distracted by so many things of the world.

My eyes always stray from you,

but you are always watching over me.

I don't know how you could stand having me as your son.

I'm always so selfish and you are always so kind.

Lord, you're always there for me.

Without you I don't know what I would do.

You're always there for me,

without you I don't know what I would do.

When everything is going well I rarely stop and thank you.

But, when nothing is going tight I stop and complain to you.

Don't let me fall."

Seems pretty christian to me...lol

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why i dont like Christian rock is because the lyrics tend to force religion and God into the song rather than truely singing from the heart. You dont need to sing about God and Jesus every other line to have faith and real feeling into your songs

Yeah. For this reason, I don't really have a problem with good old fashioned hymns. Also, I've not yet heard a good Christian band. That's not to say that the Christian bands I've heard live (and I have heard a fair few, even though I am a ghastly heathen) were not talented musicians; just that the songs they were singing (not written by them; I've heard them elsewhere (for some reason)) were... just not good songs. They remind one of the sort of attempt to write for a children's program in a rock style*. It almost never works.

*I forget any good examples, sorry. Kiddy presenters singing with their sing-along children's TV voices to songs that are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike rock music. Mr. Boom, on the other hand, is great. No words against Mr. Boom. Saw him at Traquair Fair the other week -- he's still got it.

Guest XplsvBam
[hy would that be bad? Is it so absurd to have a foundation?

It's got nothing to do with having a foundation, it is to do with them not being musically talented.

So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it? My point is if there isn't something behind the music all it is is music. Alot of people are musically talented but I don't listen to them because they are musically talented I listen to them because of what they are saying and then because they are musically talented. I admit I wouldn't listen to something with only foundation and no musical talent. But you have to be pretty naive to say all christian groups have no musical talent.

So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it? My point is if there isn't something behind the music all it is is music. Alot of people are musically talented but I don't listen to them because they are musically talented I listen to them because of what they are saying and then because they are musically talented. I admit I wouldn't listen to something with only foundation and no musical talent. But you have to be pretty naive to say all christian groups have no musical talent.

Why not? What's wrong with something being purely music? You're saying music without lyrics doesn't have the power to losen certain emotions? That's crap.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Guest XplsvBam

Why not? What's wrong with something being purely music? You're saying music without lyrics doesn't have the power to losen certain emotions? That's crap.

Example please?

Example please?

A lot of Floyd's instrumental music (The Great Gig in the Sky being the best example), Sigur Ros' hopelandic songs, Joe Satriani, a lot of movie scores. Those are just a few.

21o4pav.jpg

Guest XplsvBam
Example please?

A lot of Floyd's instrumental music (The Great Gig in the Sky being the best example), Sigur Ros' hopelandic songs, Joe Satriani, a lot of movie scores. Those are just a few.

Whoops didn't realize it said without lyrics. I know music is capable of changing emotions but that dosn't mean it means anything to you. But in your case it might. What does it mean to you all of those songs without lyrics does it tell you to keep going? Never give up? Or does it just make you feel different? These are the examples I'm looking for I didn't ask for an example of a talented musician.btw nice job picking out a talented monkey.

Whoops didn't realize it said without lyrics. I know music is capable of changing emotions but that dosn't mean it means anything to you. But in your case it might. What does it mean to you all of those songs without lyrics does it tell you to keep going? Never give up? Or does it just make you feel different? These are the examples I'm looking for I didn't ask for an example of a talented musician.btw nice job picking out a talented monkey.

Well, you kind of did say that.

"So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it? My point is if there isn't something behind the music all it is is music."

If something evokes an emotion it does mean something. Not only to me, but also to you and every other human being on this planet. Because an emotion is something. It is different to everybody (the evoked emotion of course), and it might even require some imagination or abstract thinking. These songs (the special ones) without lyrics don't give a cheap 'feeling' or an energy boost like "Keep going on, don't give up". It's about creating an atmosphere that's giving a long-lasting and intense experience. And that my friend, can't be beaten by pre-chewed lyrics that got spit out back into a song. Because in this way the music is in it's purest form, it hasn't been affected by other's opinions or experiences which are found in lyrics. Be it about God, death or love. Which of course doesn't mean that music with lyrics is bad, or less good.

Fat hobbit, you're an idiot. Not because your post, because I didn't even bother to read that after the first few lines. But because it hasn't got ANYTHING to do with this topic and will only result in a way too off topic discussion which will get this topic locked. I'm not saying Xpls and I are on-topic, but atleast it's slightly related and will most likely result in something positive.

21o4pav.jpg

Guest XplsvBam

Well, you kind of did say that.

"So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it? My point is if there isn't something behind the music all it is is music."

If something evokes an emotion it does mean something. Not only to me, but also to you and every other human being on this planet. Because an emotion is something. It is different to everybody (the evoked emotion of course), and it might even require some imagination or abstract thinking. These songs (the special ones) without lyrics don't give a cheap 'feeling' or an energy boost like "Keep going on, don't give up". It's about creating an atmosphere that's giving a long-lasting and intense experience. And that my friend, can't be beaten by pre-chewed lyrics that got spit out back into a song. Because in this way the music is in it's purest form, it hasn't been affected by other's opinions or experiences which are found in lyrics. Be it about God, death or love. Which of course doesn't mean that music with lyrics is bad, or less good.

Wow music gives you a feeling. I don't know what that has to do with foundation but good for you. No matter what point you or me are trying to prove it dosn't matter. I was just pointing out that Anesthesia claims that all christian musicians have no musical talent. Which is not correct. I'm sorry if it might offend you that there is good christian music out there but it sounds more of a personal problem then a public issue to me. Maybe you should put it back in the closet.

i dont really care for the lyrics in the first place,

in some songs the lyrics are important (like angel of death from slayer, without it it would be mindless guitarslamming)

but in lots of songs i care for the instrumental part (thats why i hate techno/trance and stuff) like in dragonforce herman li is a great player :D

if a monkey could play an instrument very well and it would play in lets say a trashmetalband, and the band plays good i would listen to it, the fact that there is a monkey in it makes it only better =)

i dont really care if u sing every song u write about god (OF: allthough i think religions are hypocrite and therefor lame <.< )

i care about the musicians if they master there instruments well and there music hits me!

a week ago i saw ministry live and they used a didgeredoo (some australian instrument google it for info) and i was like WOW! these dudes make music that i love, without singing and stuff, i loved the entire song.

if u listen to cristian rock becouse the lyrics are about a subject u like, why not read a book?

not everybody wants to hear the bubblegum pop garbage.

im gonna burn in hell and drink all of satans beer.

trashmetal/deathmetal/hardrock/folkmetal die hard

Wow music gives you a feeling. I don't know what that has to do with foundation but good for you. No matter what point you or me are trying to prove it dosn't matter. I was just pointing out that Anesthesia claims that all christian musicians have no musical talent. Which is not correct. I'm sorry if it might offend you that there is good christian music out there but it sounds more of a personal problem then a public issue to me. Maybe you should put it back in the closet.

It has got everything to do with foundation. As you said music needs a foundation, and you mean that this foundation can only be expressed by lyrics. And this foundation comes before the music. Which means, in your logic, that music without lyrics is inferior to music with lyrics. And that is complete nonsense of course. Anesthesia never claimed that no Christian musician has talent. He claimed that most Christian musicians are talentless. Maybe you should try and read a little bit closer instead of trying so hard to make me look like a fool. Also, I never said Christian music is bad, I even said music with lyrics, and thus by your logic a music with a foundation, isn't bad or less good than the music that, in your eyes, hasn't got a foundation. So I don't really see why you're starting about personal problems? As previously stated: I don't think I gave an opinion about Christian music. So I don't really know what I should put back in the closet. But I guess it's an easy way out for you.

P.S. You're being a rude *******. Asking me to explain and give examples, and then ridiculing me. Show some respect.

21o4pav.jpg

So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it?

Yes, why wouldn't I? Anyway, what the hell has a monkey got to do with any of this?

But you have to be pretty naive to say all christian groups have no musical talent.

Yep, you do. But I didn't say that. If you read my post you'll see I said most; not all.

You're saying music without lyrics doesn't have the power to losen certain emotions? That's crap.

Damn right, what about things like Jupiter by Holst, or indeed The Great Gig in the Sky as How2PK mentioned.

I was just pointing out that Anesthesia claims that all christian musicians have no musical talent.

READ MY BLOODY POST, I NEVER SAID THAT.

MxPx is good, as are Five Iron Frenzy. Idiot. Fathobbit is also an idiot for posting all that trollish stuff about christianity. This is a topic about christian music; if you don't want to talk about that then don't post.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Guest XplsvBam
So if a monkey was musically talented you would listen to it?

Yes, why wouldn't I? Anyway, what the hell has a monkey got to do with any of this?

But you have to be pretty naive to say all christian groups have no musical talent.

Yep, you do. But I didn't say that. If you read my post you'll see I said most; not all.

You're saying music without lyrics doesn't have the power to losen certain emotions? That's crap.

Damn right, what about things like Jupiter by Holst, or indeed The Great Gig in the Sky as How2PK mentioned.

I was just pointing out that Anesthesia claims that all christian musicians have no musical talent.

READ MY BLOODY POST, I NEVER SAID THAT.

MxPx is good, as are Five Iron Frenzy. Idiot. Fathobbit is also an idiot for posting all that trollish stuff about christianity. This is a topic about christian music; if you don't want to talk about that then don't post.

[hy would that be bad? Is it so absurd to have a foundation?

It's got nothing to do with having a foundation, it is to do with them not being musically talented.

This was a great topic I really don't see why you need to come in and say christain music isn't good. You are intitled to your opinion but don't share it if you are going to be ignorant.

And by everything you have said so far it does appear to me that it does have something to do with the foundation, becuase you keep saying it dosn't need one. You can waste your time with meaningless music. But this topic isn't about meaningless music.

The reason why i dont like Christian rock is because the lyrics tend to force religion and God into the song rather than truely singing from the heart. You dont need to sing about God and Jesus every other line to have faith and real feeling into your songs

This is almost always true with Christian rock, however, isn't it possible for people singing from the heart to put God into their lyrics? You make it sound like it is impossible for anyone that cares about making good music to include God in the mix.

@author: If artists that don't have Christian lyrics but are Christians is okay, try out Mae and Copeland (two different bands).

@everyone else: This is a topic about Christian *music*, not Christianity.

summerpngwy6.jpg

My god, are you even incapable of following a simple line of discussion?

My first post: "The reason why most christian music is bad is because I think they set out as christian first, music second."

Your reply: "Why would that be bad? Is it so absurd to have a foundation?"

My second post: "it is to do with them not being musically talented"

The christian bands that are bad are bad because they are not musically talented, yet try to make christian music. You must be incredibly thick to not understand that I was replying to your post. It astonishes me that you purport to be 18+ and yet lack the comprehension and discussion-following skills of a 12 year old (and yet you call me ignorant?).

All my text that you have quoted just backs up what I am saying. I have even said that not all christian bands are bad, and that MxPx and FIF are good.

:-s

Peace 'n Love peeps...

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Guest XplsvBam
My god, are you even incapable of following a simple line of discussion?

My first post: "The reason why most christian music is bad is because I think they set out as christian first, music second."

Your reply: "Why would that be bad? Is it so absurd to have a foundation?"

My second post: "it is to do with them not being musically talented"

The christian bands that are bad are bad because they are not musically talented, yet try to make christian music. You must be incredibly thick to not understand that I was replying to your post. It astonishes me that you purport to be 18+ and yet lack the comprehension and discussion-following skills of a 12 year old (and yet you call me ignorant?).

All my text that you have quoted just backs up what I am saying. I have even said that not all christian bands are bad, and that MxPx and FIF are good.

This is a forum, if there were not other people piping in with completely random things to add then maybe discussions on them would actually acomplish something. All that you seem to be focused on is calling me a 12 year old and that if music has a foundation it is bad.

Sure music with a foundation is bad if the music is bad? Why would you ever need to clarify that?

You are saying that music with a foundation is good as long as the music is good? Why would you ever need to clarify that?

All I'm saying is alot of Christian music is good, which is totally relavent.

All that you seem to be focused on is calling me a 12 year old and that if music has a foundation it is bad.

All you seem to be focused on is accusing me of saying things which I never did. I also never said that if music has a foundation it is bad. Why are you trying to put words in my mouth again?

Sure music with a foundation is bad if the music is bad? Why would you ever need to clarify that?

Because you still don't seem to be able to get your head around it. I didn't say "if the music is bad", I said "if they are not musically talented". "If the music is bad" is all-encompassing, the musical talent, the background and the composition. "Not musically talented" only covers the musical talent surprisingly, not the lyrics and depending on how you think of it, not the composition.

You are saying that music with a foundation is good as long as the music is good? Why would you ever need to clarify that?

I also didn't bother saying this, it is you that added this part.

Why would you ever need to clarify that?

Guest XplsvBam
All that you seem to be focused on is calling me a 12 year old and that if music has a foundation it is bad.

All you seem to be focused on is accusing me of saying things which I never did. I also never said that if music has a foundation it is bad. Why are you trying to put words in my mouth again?

Because you still don't seem to be able to get your head around it. I didn't say "if the music is bad", I said "if they are not musically talented". "If the music is bad" is all-encompassing, the musical talent, the background and the composition. "Not musically talented" only covers the musical talent surprisingly, not the lyrics and depending on how you think of it, not the composition.

I also didn't bother saying this, it is you that added this part.

Why would you ever need to clarify that?

Ok John Kerry lets get somethings straight...

...You're trying to accuse me of implicitly saying all music with a foundation is good...by my asserting that the opposite is not true? How does that work? It is possible for neither to be the case you know.

It is not true that all music with a foundation is bad. It is not true that all music with a foundation is good. There is no conflict between these two statements. Try taking logic & common sense 101.

Guest XplsvBam
...You're trying to accuse me of implicitly saying all music with a foundation is good...by my asserting that the opposite is not true? How does that work? It is possible for neither to be the case you know.

It is not true that all music with a foundation is bad. It is not true that all music with a foundation is good. There is no conflict between these two statements. Try taking logic & common sense 101.

Funny I aced that class.

Then what are you saying Anesthesia? If foundations arn't good nor bad, then obvisually we don't need to talk about foundations. It just appeared to me you were talking about them.

All you are saying is that most christian music is bad because the focus on something before the music. Did it never accure to you that this might prepare them to make better music?

Did it never accure to you that this might prepare them to make better music?

It 'accured' to me, but in the majority of cases (and for a strong atheist I have heard a surprising amount of christian music) this obviously isn't the case. Either that or it is still preparing them several years down the line.

Guest XplsvBam
Did it never accure to you that this might prepare them to make better music?

It 'accured' to me, but in the majority of cases (and for a strong atheist I have heard a surprising amount of christian music) this obviously isn't the case. Either that or it is still preparing them several years down the line.

Well since its so obvious I guess you don't need to say anything more on the matter, right?

@topic starter: Hows the search going? Did you check out thousand foot krutch?