4.0 Harvesting

5.0 Further Advice

~ 5.1 Useful Quests

~ 5.2 Extra Advice/Tips

6.0 Credits

1.0)

Update to 1.1 -

A few minor spelling errors fixed.

New information added regarding super compost and other areas of the guide.

New Farmers Tips added.

Walkthrough rewritten to be more easily understood.

Prices for Magic seed changed.

Update to 1.2 -

New contents system for easier browsing.

Recent farming related quest information added.

Various heading & sub-heading names edited.

Added maps for route walkthrough.

1.1)

** A simple Farming guide based on the new ideas forming in the skills forum. I made this generally for all the people who bug me about 50+ farming, which is easy if you have the know how. This guide does not cover basic use of tools or how to farm, this is for people who merely don't know where or what to farm as well as useful tips, if you don't know your shovels from your rakes stop reading here. Please remember a few quests and stat requirements are required to make the best of the advice given. MEMBERS ONLY SKILL - Disclaimer ends here. **

tools4guide.gif

It's basically a 3 Step guide which gives you my first hand experience and everything I've learnt. If I get time I will update it for higher levels and improve upon the existing information. I will use information commonly known but none of this is directly taken off any legitimate or existing farming guides (eg I will use the experience figures but I won't copy a calculator or any passages written) and all pictures I have screened and edited myself using the game and trusty Paint. This is to avoid copyright infringement and also because if you wanted anything like that, you'd go to a fansite ^_^ This guide simply tells you how to do it, as well as the many ways to acquire gods gift to people - Seeds!

2.0)

Step 1: Acquiring Seeds! hopsseeds4guide.gif

There are many ways to follow the noble art of seed collecting, you may choose to blend finding seeds with getting other skills, and at some points you will have no other choice! You can easily reach level 60 Farming without paying for a single seed, which means your guaranteed to make a profit.

^Farmers Tip: Boots of Lightness are useful in all areas of farming!^

Here are a few common ways to get the various types of seeds:

2.1)

Monsters of course! Virtually all of them drop seeds.

A prime example being Moss Giants which can be hunted in a number of locations. My favourite being outside the fishing guild (excellent safe spots for 40-50 rangers & magers) and it's close proximity to a bank. These guys drop Ranarr Seeds as well as a variety of others such as Limpwurt and Watermelon - 3 Key Seeds which will prove useful.

For those higher level herb seeds you may want to try your hand at Dagganoths. Not just any old Dagganoths, the ones under the lighthouse are particularly handy for melee fighting since most of the Dagganoths there use ranged based attacks (must complete 'Horror From The Deep'). There you will find anything from Toadflax to Torstol. However no Ranarr seeds :unsure:. Luckily they also drop rare seeds! Belladonna & Cactus Seeds are dropped fairly regularly and make for good prices on the market. You might want to combine training here with a Slayer task, the nearest bank is Seers, so take Camelot Teleport runes. Or for those hardcore seedfreaks, take 200 noted lobs and make use of that general store on the second floor, similar to the general store technique used in Nature Crafting. Dagganoths are level 74 and use a ranged attack. The other variation under the lighthouse is a level 92 which uses melee (avoid these my slightly less combat orientated friends).

Other examples include Ogres for the odd seed or bones and more interestingly Trolls which drop a lot of Ranarr. Most monsters drop seeds but you will find some don't drop higher tier seeds, or some will drop certain types more than others.

dagganoths4guide.gif

^Farmers Tip: Never sell your Ranarr Seeds! They farm for so much more cash^

2.2)

Thieving - Your seeds or your life!

This particular method can only really be focused properly in one way- Draynor Market. There are 2 Master Farmers located there, one of which you can handily trap inside a pig pen to continually thieve from. Jagex later introduced a mighty quest (A Fairy Tale Part 1: Growing Pains) which disabled easy pickpocketing of this particular person forcing you to have to right-click and select. Fortunately his other friendly Master Farmer buddy is running around nearby. There are also 2 Seed Stalls at the market in Draynor which you can thieve from at Level 28, but the spoils are not as good as the ones farmers provide. If your very dedicated you could use stalls until you can thieve farmers, but it isn't very fast Xp and the seeds aren't usually very good.

^Farmers Tip: Keep your seeds banked in the same order they are leveled and by type. So highest at the end while lowest at the start of every Herb Seed, then the lowest Hop Seed all the way to the highest and so on. This not only makes it easier to find a particular Seed, it also helps you learn their names!^

For this you will need level 38 thieving. Master Farmers drop almost every seed imaginable apart from the higher tier rares (Cactus/Belladonna/Mushroom all available but rare) and all tree seeds. Simply take 10-15 Lobster or other low level food (Cakes being cheap and ideal) and keep clicking on that farmer. Failure will result in short stun time and 3 damage taken, use the stun time to take a bite of cake, or after the 4th stun much your lobster (because 4x3 = 12, not including natural regeneration). From taking half an inventory of food you leave enough room for the vast amounts of types of seed you will collect, most commonly Potato/Barley/Onion/Cabbage. You will like make off with 4 Herb Seeds per run. On one of my better runs I found myself with 2 Ranarr Seeds, which shows nothing is impossible. This is uber thieving training over long periods of time. Don't forget to keep an eye out for the Watchman and the Pillory Cage random events along with other general ones. I found myself getting 3 Watchmen a day, so don't dress to impress. Dress to defend your seeds!

2.3)

Woodcutting - Perhaps the one way to get those tree seeds? I think not!

Woodcutting is not the only way to get tree seeds, and nor is it the fastest. You wouldn't go seed hunting by chopping 1000 logs, you would go fletching to chop 1000 logs and the seed would be a lucky bonus. This is NOT recommended for seedfreaks let alone starting farmers. However, it is not to be ignored. I claimed my second ever Magic Seed by chopping Yew Trees. 100k On the ground is not to be sniffed at. But if you go to trees looking for seeds, you will often be disappointed. For anyone in the dark Seeds do not grow on trees (not even Acorns). They fall from the sky in birds nests. Nests are great in themselves used in Herblore for making Saradomin Brews after crushing them in your Mortar and pestle, however some birds nests will contain rings and other junk - these nests are traitor nests and should be burnt immediately.

patch4guide.gif

2.4)

Pest Control & The Kingdom Of Miscellania

Pest Control.. Ahh for the glorious feeling of opening up that seed packet to find your very first Magic Tree Seed. That's what makes RuneScape worth playing! I am not here to give you a guide of how to play Pest Control. All I shall say is find a clan, try to get the portals first :P. After 5 wins (5 points) you can buy a Seed Packet. These points can also be spent on minor things like Prayer Xp and other things.. but that's not important. Seed Packets contain an assortment of random seeds (Yup, Tree seeds too!) for your taking. They can contain wimpy Hops Seeds, or a fine Yew Tree Seed, Herb Seeds also included. This, although slow, has other useful benefits. It's good combat experience in the mini-game itself, you get 1-3k for winning a round, and you can spend the points on further experience or armour (Seed Packets recommended).

^Farmers Tip: Magic Seeds are best planted in Falador Park, since it's by a bank. It's also level 75 to plant, so if the lure of selling one for 100k is too much.. It's your choice)^

Your Kingdom! (Requires: 'Throne Of Miscellania' & 'Royal Trouble' to have been completed) Once again I'm only here to inform you about the rewards and funnily enough I know nothing about this! I have read that the rewards since the new quests are very nice indeed, however no one has used the kingdom to mass produce seeds (I know, stupid isn't it?). Anyone who does this can they tell me how much rating they generated and how much cash they used. From what I've seen 700k and 100% rating gets you a hell-of-a lot of Maple + Teak Logs (exceeding the value of which he first placed into the coffers making a profit), I hope the same goes for Seeds.

I think that's about it for Seed Acquisition, please tell me if you have any more bright ideas. Now, get ready for Step 2.

3.0)

Step 2: Planting Your Seeds

This part of the guide will cover which types of seeds are best used and where to plant them with minimal walking time. However anyway you look at it, without walking the length of RuneScape your going to need a lot of law runes :mellow:.

If you want to stay ahead of the game then plant collect/buy pineapples and watermelons for super compost, although using this precious mud on potato seeds may not be cost effective. If you choose to get as much super compost as you can, then I would go to Brimhaven and collect pineapples there. I have outlined the point at which through farming you begin to generate your own super compost.

3.1)

First things first - What do I plant?

1). Allotment || Use highest you can

2). Hops || (Optional) Use highest you can

3). Herbs || Ranarr and upwards

4). Trees || Use highest you can

5). Special || (Optional) Use highest you can

6). Flowers || *ALL*

7). Bushes || (Optional) Use highest you can

8). Fruit Trees || Use highest you can

Note: Optional are not included in the step-by-step walkthrough, but are mentioned occasionly as a possibility or variations

This is the best way to plant for xp. Specials are alright, but are found in strange out of the way places which are only best used if you actually need the produce (Eg. Mushrooms for cooking). Never plant herbs without super-compost, you only really begin to generate your own super-compost at Level 47/Watermelons, although you can plant Ranarr, wait till you get super-compost, at that point all Guams and Marrentil Herb Seeds will be outclassed but planting them earlier would result in dead herbs. Same goes for anything above Strawberries. Normal compost will do for Sweetcorn and other easily acquired seeds. All trees are advised only after super-compost can be generated but if you want to get in earlier then use the Farmers to protect your crop, you can do this with ANY Tree/Fruit Tree. Hops are really up to you, use them if you wish. But don't waste teleport runes on a hops patch, low xp and all but useful produce - that's of course if it survived on normal compost.. You can plant hops if you wish, but I never used them. As for flowers use the ones that best protect what your growing until you can get super compost. When you reach Level 47, you will then want to think about mass-farming Limpwurts, good for cash and good for Herblore. However if you believe all seeds are equal despite type and religion and should recieve super-compost treatment then you will need to start collecting pineapples - these can be found all over Karamja or for conveniency you can use the Charter ship shops that are scattered around RuneScape (best being the one just south of Catherby bank).

A brief note on weeds - They are useful for regular compost, use this on a bin and wait 40 minutes or so, this is pretty basic so I expect you know what to do with them after 40 minutes.. Whaa?.. Look just get a bucket ok!?

Here is a list of which flower protects which plant -

Marigold: Onions/Tomatoes/Potatoes

Rosemary: Cabbage

Scarecrow: Sweetcorn

Nasturiums: Watermelon

^Farmers Tip: By only planting at one patch you can easily keep your plants alive since you are there while they grow. Multiple patchs are a lot of teleport runes without the safety of super-compost^

3.2)

Now you know what to plant, heres for where.

- FOUR MAIN ZONES -

Zone 1 - Morytania

Zone 2 - Camelot Area

Zone 3 - Falador

Zone 4 - Ardougne

These are the 4 most easily accessed zones with decent farming spots in close proximity, you may wish to add others at a later level when you can rely more on super-compost, and you are swimming in your own law runes, but these 4 areas will level you more than fast enough. I will now walk you through reaching each zone, along with what to take.

Zone 1 - Morytania

Transport - Ectophial. (Requires 'Ghosts Ahoy')

Seeds Required - 6 Allotment/1 Herb/1 Flower/1 Mushroom Spore

Patchs Used - 1 Allotment found west of the Ectofuntus, Special Patch located west of Canifis.

Zone 2 - Camelot Area

Transport - 5 Airs, 1 Law. (Requires 45 Magic)

Seeds Required - 6 Allotment/1 Herb/1 Flower/4 Hops/1 Fruit Tree

Patchs Used - Allotment above Catherby, a little east of Camelot Teleport point of appearance, hops a long walk west of Camelot Bank (Optional), Fruit Tree south-east Catherby near fishing zones.

Zone 3 - Falador

Transport - 3 Airs, 1 Law, 1 Water. (Requires 37 Magic)

Seeds Required - 6 Allotment/1 Herb/1 Flower/1 Tree/4 Bush

Patchs Used - Tree patch found in Falador Park, Allotment south-east of Falador itself, a bush can be located near Rimmington house portal.

Zone 4 - Ardougne

Transport - 2 Laws, 2 Waters. (Requires 51 Magic and 'Plague City')

Seeds Required - 6 Allotment/1 Herb/1 Flower/1 Fruit Tree/4 Bush

Patchs Used - Allotment is found a little north-east of Ardougne east bank, the bush patch is nearer to the Gnome Maze far south of Ardougne, and the Fruit Tree is west of the bush.

3.3)

*| SUMMARY |*

Transport - 8 Airs, 3 Waters, 4 Laws, 1 Ectophial.

Max Requirements - 51 Magic & 'Plague City'

Required Seeds (Total) - 24 Allotment/4 Herb/4 Flower/2 Fruit Tree/1 Tree/8 Bush/4 Hops/1 Mushroom Spore

Required Seeds (Recommended) - 24 Allotment/4 Herb/4 Flower

Optional: You may wish to access Falador via Glory teleport to Draynor and heading west. Also Camelot is near to Ardougne, so you may wish to walk that and save those law runes!

If planting trees make sure you have potted and watered them first, the guide does not cover the basics, this is those who know how it works, but don't know where to farm or where to get seeds etc. The recommended seeds are for those who want low levels of walking time, don't want to have to get a high variety of seeds but maintain a good level of experience. Recommended also gurantees less plants dying. If you are just watching the one patch stop right now and skip to the 3rd Step, because farming a single patch is dead easy. You can stock up on plant cure to prevent disease, for 1 patch I recommend Catherby, you can fish/high alc/fletch-shafts all in that tiny area.

^Farmers Tip: Notice the NPC standing by every patch? That's a farmer who you can pay in items (Sometimes cabbage/compost/pineapples and other farmable foods) to protect your plants, if your not having luck with flowers and normal compost, who you don't want your single tree to die then use this person as insurance^

3.4)

- Step-By-Step Walkthrough -

You will need (This is the recommended amount, not including trees/bushes etc as mentioned above. If you wish to plant everything refer to the list above for each area.):

- 24 Allotment Seeds (Best as possible, but below strawberry if no super-compost)

- 4 Herb Seeds (You can risk lower level herbs, nothing above Ranarr without super-compost)

- 4 Flower Seeds (Appropriate to what you are planting)

- 8 Air Runes

- 4 Law Runes

- 3 Water Runes

- 1 Ectophial

- 1 Seed Dibber

- 1/2 Watering Can(8)

- 1 Rake

- 12 Buckets of Compost/Super-Compost

It is also advisable to have a stash of gear and compost at the leprechaun. The leprechaun has just been mentioned because this is when you first need his sevices, he will hold 1 of every tool as well as 255 Buckets of each 2 varieties (Comp/Super Comp) and 31 empty buckets. If you ever run out for any reason you can simply stock up at this guy. For buying standard tools there are Farming shops by the allotments at Ardougne, Morytania and Catherby (aka Camelot Area). Remember! Leprechauns don't sell, they just store!

leprechaun4guideqn0.gif

You can start anywhere you so wish, if you are starting in one of the designated areas, teleport runes to that area will not be needed unless you wish to return there afterwards (Eg You stand in Falador ready to start off, so you won't need Falador teleport runes will you? :P).

Simply follow this step-by-step, for the purposes of the guide I have placed which areas to visit in a random order, it is ultimately up to you.

1) Teleport to Camelot and head a little east to the allotment, plant all allotment Seeds

seersroute4guiderp1.png

2) Teleport to Ardougne, walk North until you are just outside the city and head east again, plant all allotment seeds.

ardougneroute4guidefb0.png

3) Teleport to Ectofuntus and head directly west, plant all allotment seeds.

ectoroute4guidedw0.png

4) Teleport to Falador, walk south out towards the air altar, but halfway there turn east and walk along Faladors south wall until you reach the patch - plant all allotment seeds.

faladorroute4guidegg6.png

It really is that easy.

^Farmers Tip: All of these locations have water refill points, since you use 3 lots out of 8, you need to refill every other trip - memorise where that water is!^

After you have done this you can either kick back for half an hour, or go and plant some other seeds in other patchs no matter where they be. At around 15 minutes after planting, you can take the required runes and teleport around, checking the health of your patchs. This is optional and is always useful, not not entirely necessary, I know I sure didn't bother checking.. Ah whats that sound? Why.. it's the sound of a few months growing crammed into 40 minutes! Guess it's time to look at Step 3. :)

4.0)

Step 3: Harvesting & Further Advice

This is perhaps the shortest section in the guide as in involves the littlest amount of effort - Harvest.

You will require the same runes you used to plant the seeds in the first place as well as a shovel. However this time round there *is* a recommended order of travel.

First Stop - Ecofuntus, don't forget to refill it! Simply go west and find your patch, depending on the compost/flower/Npc protection options will define how successful you were. At this stage you will probably be using Normal Compost with an assigned flower, you should have a good chance of coming out with the goods! Simply drop all fruits farmed. Watermelon, if your that far, should be used for putting right into the compost bin to generate super compost. Anything else should really be dumped, except Limpwurts and Herbs. The reason this is the first stop will be made apparent shortly.

Second Stop - Well I did say shortly didn't I? Simply teleport straight from Morytania into sunny Camelot. Go west a few steps and bank all you chose to keep. Then proceed directly east to Catherby (Optional: Nail a few unicorns for their horns and use Catherby bank) to the farming patch there. Harvest all, compostify the junk and use the Catherby bank to keep the good stuff.

Third Stop - Falador. Head south east to the patch, collect and move on to the fourth and final stop.

Final Stop Ardougne! Bank the goods from Falador and move north east to your patch, bank it, check your xp and pat yourself on the back. You just farmed! :lol:

5.0)

- Further Advice -

Read through each of these sections to answer anything that has been missed or you didn't think of. If you can think of a useful hint yourself then feel free to reply to this thread and I'll stick it down here as well as your adding your name to the thank-you list.

5.1)

* Useful Quests *

A Fairy Tale Part 1: Growing Pains

Remember I mentioned this in Step 1? This quest is a must-do for farmers. The quest reward, while having some nice experience rates includes the Magic Secateurs! Exciting I know, this green tool replaces the boring brown pair in the leprechauns carry spot. They (When equipped, not just held in inventory) increase the amount of produce you recieve when harvesting by 10%! I once collected 2 full inventorys of watermelons, from a single patch.

My Arm's Big Adventure

This quest is recommended for people experienced in the combat department, it is also recommended you have Lvl 61 Magic for Trollheim teleport (requires Eadgar's Ruse). After you complete this bizarre quest you are given access to a Herb patch on the top of the Troll Stronghold itself! This patch will never become diseased, so use it with only the best Herb seeds. This is strictly optional and requires a lot of extra effort and an extra 2 Law Runes on top of the ones you already use.

5.2)

This final part is basically all the Farmers Tips there wasn't room for, as well as a nice surprise.

Compost Composition.

A few tips on what makes what, and what not to waste on compost.

Weeds => Compost

Ranarr Weed => Compost (Don't ever let me catch you doing this)

Watermelon => S.Compost

Pineapple => S.Compost

Random Events.

No new ideas here, a spade or shovel head may well fly off to another part of the patch. Simply walk out and grab it, reattach and voila. However the disgruntled pirate captain may ask you to open his chest, my advice is don't. If you get the combination wrong you can wake up in some very strange places, which totally throws you off your course through all the patchs.

Selling Seeds?

Don't be fooled! Planting a Herb Seed will always earn more than selling one (Provided it doesn't die). Magic seeds as mentioned are a hefty requirement to plant, but you get your personal tree beside Falador bank. Just chop 50 logs and it's paid for itself already!

Fruit Trees/Trees & Bushes.

Pretty basic, when you chop/pick anything off any tree or bush it will slowly but surely regrow. When the tree is reduced to a stump it can be dug up, or it will pop up like any tree in RuneScape. By digging up a tree you can get it's roots. Yew & Magic roots are used in Herblore, Oak roots are used in brewing.

magicherbseeds4guideef1.gif <= Magic Seeds & Herb Seeds

My plants keep dying!

Check your compost, it's easy to forget or use the wrong type when planting believe me. Try to plant the same flower that protects the fruit and vegetables you've used. And above all ALWAYS use super-compost when planting a tree, that's basic.

6.0)

With much thanks to:

IceBlackIce

dogfever

DeadPolkaDots1

pfilc23

ugafan_2009

herominerman

\'

That is the end of 100 Shadow's Farming Guide (V1.1)

Please get back to me with any corrections, spelling errors or better ideas!

~

Proud owner of a...

If you have Potato Seeds PM me!

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=538054&start=0

^^ Check out my Farming guide levels 1-60! ^^

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently proof reading and editing code errors, the boards here have different size values so bear with me, I will edit this post once it is 100% fixed.

Edit - Fixed all obvious errors.

Proud owner of a...

Imo you should mention to ALWAYS pay to the farmers to watch every tree and fruit tree. Its possible to farm low level stuff for the payments and keep those in bank and plan how many harvests to pay for all the tree seeds you have, thats what i do anyways

sigqp2bw9.gifIceBlackIce.gif

*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

Nice guide, I do agree with IceBlackIce don't use any compost on trees/fruit trees, just pay the farmer to look after them, the xp is way to valuable to take any risks.

Also it might be worth noting that for those who can't grow watermelons you can make supercompost easily by quickly visiting Brimhaven from Ardougne (30gp) and picking pineapples to the south.

Additionally to get to Falador allotment it is almost as quick (and cheaper) to Glory tele to Draynor (you can also use the Draynor bank on the way) and run up through the cabbage field.

I personally run from Catherby to the Ardougne patch but that's because I'm too tight to waste two laws every run.

If you do as I do your entire run only costs 1 law but takes maybe a minute longer.

iratebadger.png

mmm that's a lot of constructive critiscm.

I'm gonna start adding alternate routes although concerning compost I was just highlighting the point you can create your own through farming, I think* I added alternate means but even if I did I didn't mention dogfevers idea so I'll be sure to add that as well \'

Proud owner of a...

Awesome guide, extremely detailed, 1 error I found. Step 2, first paragraph, you say ''your'' instead of ''you'', Might want to check that. ;)

Magic Secateurs add 10% to harvests.

Some other monsters that drop seeds ;

Ogres (only bones or a seed)

Trolls (Drop Ranarr quite often)

Aberrant Specters

Oh and Magic roots can be strung to make Amulet of Nature.

Good guide. :D

sigdu0.gif

Quit RS to play real games. :P Bye TIF, miss you.

Awesome guide, extremely detailed, 1 error I found. Step 2, first paragraph, you say ''your'' instead of ''you'', Might want to check that. ;)

Magic Secateurs add 10% to harvests.

Some other monsters that drop seeds ;

Ogres (only bones or a seed)

Trolls (Drop Ranarr quite often)

Aberrant Specters

Oh and Magic roots can be strung to make Amulet of Nature.

Good guide. :D

EDIT: 1 more thing, sorry :P ... If you ever run out fo normal conpost, you can buy from a farmer at any patch for a small fee. :)

sigdu0.gif

Thanks on the monster suggestions, I needed more of those!

But concerning the Nature amulet it's only really for a lower leveled aspect, I guess if this became an all-round farming guide I would add that in too..

Oh, you found a grammar mistake? You should be proud seriously, I don't make many of those.. Edit: I looked and I don't see it :o Perhaps you can quote it for me?

Proud owner of a...

produce - that's of course if it survived on normal compost.. Your can plant hops if you wish, but I never used them. As for flowers use the ones that best protect what your growing until you can get super compost. When you reach Level 47, you will then want to think about mass-farming Limpwurts, good for cash and good for Herblore.

Right there ^^ :D

sigdu0.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I got a suggestion, the Giant Mole, once you kill it you get the claw & hide/s (skin/s) which you can trade in the farmer in the house in Falador park...for bird's nests. Great guide though. =D>

Returned 10/03/2010 after a two year break.

Filly_Suck.png