Dragging things occasionally not working

Anesthesia

I am on XP Pro SP1.

I have been having some problems with not being able to drag certain things. It isn't just drag & drop of files, it affects column widths in 'details view' on explorer, firefox tabs, start menu entries and so on.

When I attempt it no error message is given, the item just starts to drag and then resets back to its original position, as though I had released the mouse button and then it will stay there. It is as though something is constantly trying to steal focus - I tried dragging a folder in a window behind firefox and the focus instantly switched back to firefox. It isn't firefox, however, as it still happens when FF isn't running. It also still happens when everything is minimised.

Dragging some things like a scrollbar works fine, as does dragging to select text.

I checked using 'unlocker' to see if anything had locked the file I was trying to drag, but nothing had.

Things I have recently done:

Got a logitech MX Revolution mouse. This has been ruled out as the cause - I have tried disabling the logitech software and using my previous mouse - the problem still occurs.

Installed the latest nvidia drivers. I installed 91.47 andthat's when I started noticing it, but I have tried installing the 92.91 beta drivers and it is the same. I can't necessarily do a 'rollback' as I don't use system restore.

I have tried adding these registry keys as suggested in another forum: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_ed ... gndrop.reg but it doesn't fix the problem. I have also tried running these commands and rebooting:

regsvr32 ole32

regsvr32 /i shell32

********** Things I am running other than the standard system processes (since these forums censor .exe I will replace that with .x **********

rapimgr.x - ActiveSync for my PDA - been running it since long before this started happening.

nvsvc32.x - Nvidia driver helper service v92.91

iSafe.x & vetmsg.x - both antivirus components - both been running since long before it started happening

TaskSwitch.x - MS powertoys alt-tab enhancement - been running since long before it started happening

CAVTray.x & CAVRid.x - more antivirus processes, again been running since long before it started happening

soundman.x - onboard sound manager - been running since long before it started happening.

MBM5.x - motherboard monitor - been running since long before it started happening.

TBPanel.x - graphics card management utility - been running since long before it started happening.

wcescomm.x - activesync again - been running since long before it started happening.

Launchy.x - application launcher - problem started shortly after getting this, but I have tried running without it and it still occurs.

SetPoint.x - logitech mouse utility - problem started shortly after getting this, but I have tried running without it and it still occurs.

Client.x - samurize system monitor - been running since long before it started happening.

Rainlendar - calendar app - been running since long before it started happening.

Proxomitron.x - advert blocker - been running since long before it started happening.

procexp.x - process explorer - been running since long before it started happening.

firefox.x - browser - been running since long before it started happening.

uTorrent - guess - been running since long before it started happening.

trillian.x - MSN client - been running since long before it started happening.

********** That's all I have running in addition to standard windows processes. **********

Can you think of what could be causing this? Or what I can do to fix it?

If you don't know of anything, but do know of another forum where you think it would be good to post this, please let me know of it. I just don't know where else to ask.

Do not give me any stupid answers like 'reinstall windows' or 'use linux'. No one thinks that is funny.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

k... heres some advice. I read the first line of your post at this point and nothing else as of yet (though I'll go back in a minute)

GET SERVICE PACK 2.... WHY ARE YOU ON SP1????

they release updates for a reason... sp1 has a lot of vital security flaws and bugs. Theres no reason to be running outdated versions of windows, or anything for that matter, it takes all of 30 minutes to update them from the windows site.

Would you use anti virus software thats 5 years old when theres new virus's coming out on a daily basis because you don't want to bother downloading updates / patchs that would take 5 minutes? A lot better then trying to rebuild your credit for the next 10 years because someone keylogged your credt card...

I am competent to make my own decisions thank you very much. There is actually a reason to be running SP1 just I can't talk about it here. What's more this has nothing to do with my problem as I've been running SP1 for over 3 years.

I have not had a single security intrusion, virus, trojan or worm because I have something called common sense.

Thanks for an unhelpful post.

It probably has to do with his copy being 'evil omg hax0rs'...Like my copy used to be. I took my XP disc from my old computer and installed it on my ME computer[both being legitimate]. Perfectly reasonable methinks but alas they came out with the everyone is a criminal policy.

Anyhow...

Are you sure nothing is hiding as a windows process...? I really have nothing great to add except...except pretty much nothing. But people shouldn't ask stupid about the sp1 and what sort of security software do you have? (there, i asked something sensible that adds- even if you claim to have no securit problems the problem could stem from a windows error from your software. My two programs, bitdefender and spycatcher express clashed and attacked eachother/windows resulting in a week of hell trying to fix it)

Edit: You do have a patch for the wmf picture exploit right?

I know what processes are running, I know which are required system processes, I know which are user-initiated processes. Basically I know exactly what is running at any one time, I keep process explorer open on my second screen at all times.

It isn't a security problem because in my eleventy years of computing I know the effects of a security problem and of a software problem and this is the latter. The thing is I don't know what software is causing it or quite how to narrow it down when the problem is only occasional.

I've been using PCs for at least 15 years, officially studying computing for 5 and I am qualified to tell you that my computer is secure enough.

I also have a habit of knowing all processes. My referal to security software was more directed towards if you, like me, still run the programs just incase and possibly received a conflict between the two that damaged your computer's windows files. I'm not sure how much help you can get here because while there are some people who can administrate detailed quality help here, a different more computer-orientated forum base might be better...

Yeah, that's why I tacked on the bit at the bottom about letting me know if you can think of a better place to post this. I didn't honestly expect a solution here, but I thought I might get a pointer in the right direction.

Well, anandtech.com is a hardware site but they have many knowledgeable users.

Bleepingcomputer.com is a good mirror and also offers forum help :P

Hmm...

cybertechhelp.com looks reasonable.

Thanks for an unhelpful post.

Anytime bro, how about buying XP next time and you won't have to hear it.

Why buy something which you can get for free? :mrgreen:

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

What on earth are you talking about? I did pay for XP. Now get lost and stop trolling.

What on earth are you talking about? I did pay for XP. Now get lost and stop trolling.

the only reason, I can imagine, as to running an outdated OS is because you can't update it because you don't actually own it, and in such a case I refuse to help said person - especially considering that tip.it does not condone or encourage any form of warez or piracy.

the only reason, I can imagine, as to running an outdated OS is because you can't update it because you don't actually own it

Well you don't know very much then.

I didn't want to use SP2 because I didn't like the fact that many programs had incompatibility issues when it was released. Since I didn't want to risk any of mine having such issues I didn't bother.

The company AssetMetrix reports that one out of ten computers that upgraded to SP2 had severe compatibility problems with their applications

and in such a case I refuse to help said person

Very simple answer then: if you don't want to help - don't post.

Besides, I got even more annoyed by this problem and I did install SP2 - something which, by your rationale, makes my operating system legitimate. Will you stop trolling yet?

...And the problem is still there.

The company AssetMetrix reports that one out of ten computers that upgraded to SP2 had severe compatibility problems with their applications

Never heard that in my life, but the company called "Zonda Inc" reports that wikipedia is run by users and therefore some of the information could easilly be fabircated, just like the fact that 99% of people die from smoke inhilation, and in any case you can run it in compatibility mode, I'd rather risk that then a potential crash / explosion / treebark.

Besides, I got even more annoyed by this problem and I did install SP2

Good, you've done something correct.

Never heard that in my life, but the company called "Zonda Inc" reports that wikipedia is run by users and therefore some of the information could easilly be fabircated

You really aren't very knowledgeable are you. Yes, it is run by users, but the entire concept of wikipedia is that it cites its sources, meaning the user who added that text has to cite the source for that claim which, if you could be bothered looking, they did.

What's more, you should also know that it is quite possible to put SP2 on a non-legit version of XP. I didn't do that because mine is legit, but it is quite possible.