runescape for microsoft or sony

k0ol

I'm kinda of surprised no huge company has taken interest in buying it.

If they were to seriously upgrade the graphics, they'd have to redo all the programming, too...It'd probably cost a ton and take a couple years.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Java is a programming language! Its not a piece of software or anything! And the idea is that Runescape is on the internet, not something you download, or buy off the shelf. It is like this so you can get on it anywhere at anytime, not just computers that have it installed. This also protects against "hackers". If they the all the Runescape files on their computer, they could edit them and make them do wat they want.

In all, RS being on the net is a good thing, so be grateful! And btw, make sure you do some research so you know what you are posting about

~Jagger

P.S. Lots of big companies have taken interest in buying it, but Jagex dont wanna sell it

Yes, let's give it to Nintendo and let them give it a silly name and motion sensor control.

nah, sony would just steal it. \'

edit: good thing I got the whole word in there :P

Yes, let's give it to Nintendo and let them give it a silly name and motion sensor control.

nah, sony would just steal it. \'

edit: good thing I got the whole word in there :P

=D> I applaud you on that, good sir. I applaud you.

The thing is that Andrew Gower started literally developing the game out of his college dorm room, he made it so that anybody with a web browser could play the game. That's the core principle of RS, making it easily accessible from anywhere in the world without huge downloads. (Actually, Andrew first made the game just for himself and his closest friends, but the word spread)

If you were to give the development of RS to, say Microsoft, they would start coding it in a programming language such as C++, and you obviously can't run executables on a website. It would become just another MMORPG with a huge download, sluggish patches and much more bugs.

Java does have it's limitations though, and maybe in a few years the graphics will look so bad in comparison people will start demanding they change over to a more advanced programming language. (But hey, people still play Doom 1 online and it's 2006?)

And possibly in the future everybody has a very high speed connection to the internet (I'm talking about the really fast lines they have in South Korea- personal users with up to 55mbps) that everybody can download a 500mb game in a few minutes, about the time it takes to load RS the first time you play.

One potential fix is to redo the back end in C++ or something similar. Sockets are sockets, so having Java speak to C wouldn't be hard.

Rewriting any part of RS in C++ destroys portability, would be a waste of time and money on Jagex's part, and completely destroys all the work Jagex and fan sites have done to prevent people from running random RS related exe's.

Even if you're only talking about rewriting the server side code in C++, I have to ask, why? What ever they're currently running is obviously stable as hell already. Rewriting it in another language just opens the door for new bugs and wastes time they could have been using for new content on an already proven system.

Uhh, i don't think there is a web applet better than Shockwave, and that would slow gameplay down sooooooooooo much for computers that aren't workhorses. Other than that, we'd have to download a thing that every time it lags and loses connection, it shuts the entire program down. Java ftw!

I'm kinda of surprised no huge company has taken interest in buying it.

If they were to seriously upgrade the graphics, they'd have to redo all the programming, too...It'd probably cost a ton and take a couple years.

Actually, a few are. There was a wallstreet journal article on that and even a tip.it times reference?

I think there is some potential-potential for not using Java. It's unknown whether in fact the allure is Java or if it's the less stress on combat. I for one love rs and dont play Wow because Wow is too stressed on combat. I love runescape skills and the community (well some of them :? - Over time good people accumulate :))