My rant about fishing

Anesthesia

Wow, really?

You were implying that it is okay to hurt them because they won't remember it. Given that was the reason you gave for it being okay to hurt them, I compared it to a human who doesn't have a long term memory.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying fish have no intelligent or memory is ignorant. They have both.

trout have a fairly good memory. The more one is targeted/caught the more wary and harder it would be to catch again. Trout in heavily target rivers are often very wary and require excellent presentation to catch, while trout in remote regions are much more forgiven because they simply lack any/much past experiences of being targeted by that method.

Fish have low low intelligence compared with mammals but they can still comprehend and understand from past experiences. A basic fundamental of intelligence.

<><><><><><><>

When you guys refer to a 'Straight' hook are you referring to a hook without even a curve, or one which is barbless?

If it is a barbless hook, like I already said they are just as, if not more efficient then one with a barb. The reason being they can penetrate deeper. If you can not catch fish on a barbless hook it would be due to poor overall technique or the use of blunt hooks.

f it is a barbless hook, like I already said they are just as, if not more efficient then one with a barb. The reason being they can penetrate deeper. If you can not catch fish on a barbless hook it would be due to poor overall technique or the use of blunt hooks.

Actually the whole point of a barb on a hook is so you can "snag" the fish. When you feel a sharp tug on the line you yank on the rod and the barb snags in the fishes mouth. If you use a barbless hook, no matter if it "can penetrate deeper" the chance of the hook coming loose in the fishes mouth becomes much greater. Before you start telling me I have poor technique I suggest you understand that a hook with a barb works alot better.

There is also alot less chance of the fish swallowing the hook (once again depends on size) I personally fish for big fish I leave the minnows alone. If you were a fish, would you rather swallow a hook and have it lodged somewhere in your stomach or a barbed hook in the mouth that can easily be removed.

f it is a barbless hook, like I already said they are just as, if not more efficient then one with a barb. The reason being they can penetrate deeper. If you can not catch fish on a barbless hook it would be due to poor overall technique or the use of blunt hooks.

Actually the whole point of a barb on a hook is so you can "snag" the fish. When you feel a sharp tug on the line you yank on the rod and the barb snags in the fishes mouth. If you use a barbless hook, no matter if it "can penetrate deeper" the chance of the hook coming loose in the fishes mouth becomes much greater. Before you start telling me I have poor technique I suggest you understand that a hook with a barb works alot better.

There is also alot less chance of the fish swallowing the hook (once again depends on size) I personally fish for big fish I leave the minnows alone. If you were a fish, would you rather swallow a hook and have it lodged somewhere in your stomach or a barbed hook in the mouth that can easily be removed.

Barbless hooks still snag, they just come out easier and require you to keep constant tension on the line ;)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.