Free Website Developement Software?

cadburys_egg

Does anyone know of one?

Some of you know i've made a website, but for it to advance any further i'm going to need something more than Notepad. :P Mainly for text placment, x&y etc. I can do most of the images and slicing on Photoshop anyway.

In short, shareware dreamweaver-esque program?

knkcopy.jpg

Editplus is excellent, it won't make you lazy like dreamweaver where you can move things in the 'non-mark-up view', it just allows you to see how a browser would display it. There is a trial version, and you can choose whether or not to buy it after that, it won't just stop working, but it will ask everytime you open it if you don't contribute.

http://www.editplus.com/

I believe you can thank Merciful for this because he recommended it here first.. if i'm wrong, sue me.. :P!!

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

Does anyone know of one?

Some of you know i've made a website, but for it to advance any further i'm going to need something more than Notepad. :P Mainly for text placment, x&y etc. I can do most of the images and slicing on Photoshop anyway.

In short, shareware dreamweaver-esque program?

EditPlus or NotePad++.

And to advance futher, all you really need is an editor, a browser to test it in, a lot of trial and error, and patiance.

Editplus is great, not sure about Notepad++ but you can preview all your changes in a seperate tab as its got its own basic browser built in. You can also get little plugins to add extra coding features to make it even easier for you too.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I see you already like the EditPlus. You might also want to try TextPad, completely free and very useful for html editing. It highlights all correct tags and attributes, and even allows you to preview the file in a web browser. It's also good for C++ and Java too, if you're interested in that.

single_skill1165709744.png

I see you already like the EditPlus. You might also want to try TextPad, completely free and very useful for html editing. It highlights all correct tags and attributes, and even allows you to preview the file in a web browser. It's also good for C++ and Java too, if you're interested in that.
EditPlus and Notepad++ cover about 15 languages stock, both with the ability to import language files for other originally unsupported languages :)

Sounds pretty much the same as EditPlus.

Coding.png

v1.png

I'm not particularly interested in any other coding except HTML, i'm only just learning that. Let alone anything more demanding. :P

(Incase you're wondering, the website doesn't actually have those white lines, EditPlus just makes it look like that.)

And oh WOW Freewebs is such a bad host, there's always atleast one image that doesn't load for the website, but all the images are capable of loading.

Feel free to check out the website anyway (you can find the link in the coding picture ;)), any HTML advice would be very appreciated.

knkcopy.jpg

:( I'm a failure, can't seem to find the website :s

(I'm definetly missing something obvious :oops:)

What the hell are you searching for?

Number #1 result on Google

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Your website looks nice, you obviously have good artistic skills (which i don't), but its not very sound technically. You have too many images, and its all done in tables. If you are committed to becoming a good web designer, you should learn CSS at the same time as HTML, and also try to code with the W3C specifications in mind.

You are doing well so far, but those would be my next steps.

And it is a shame about freewebs, half the time when i refresh it says that it can't find your page. #-o

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

Your website looks nice, you obviously have good artistic skills (which i don't), but its not very sound technically. You have too many images, and its all done in tables. If you are committed to becoming a good web designer, you should learn CSS at the same time as HTML, and also try to code with the W3C specifications in mind.

And it is a shame about freewebs, half the time when i refresh it says that it can't find your page. #-o

Agreed. Nested tables load too slowly, and make your entire site "jump around" while loading. Using CSS will solve this, and also give you a "template" you can use for other pages that will share the same design.

You are missing a doc-type declaration, which mean browsers will render your pages in quirks mode, rather that standards mode, so don't expect your site to look correct across all browsers, or across browser version upgrades.

Validate your html: http://validator.w3.org/. 4.01 strict is fine, XHTML 1.0 is better.

Yeah the whole website is in tables because I designed it in photoshop, sliced it and just used the HTML that it produces - which is in tables.

And yeah, Freewebs sucks as a host. :P I was planning to use Googlepages, but you have to use their tables.

I'd love to learn how to use CSS and such, but i'm really at square one. Once I can get the look of the website right - as in, get all the pages set up as i'd like them too look - I will learn to code it anew and more technically sound.

knkcopy.jpg

http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssadvanced/layout/

Or just google for: css page layout

CSS tends to be rendered a lot faster than tables (as some browsers do not render a table until complete).

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/web ... _with_css/

And so on - there is a lot of content out there on using / switching to CSS based layout.

Then accidentally ask me for a serial for the full version...
Be careful what you say... :shame:

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Then accidentally ask me for a serial for the full version...

DreamWeaver isn't even worth pirating after you have a basic understanding of HTML code. The code it's WYSIWYG side generates is horrendous and the code editor isn't anything special you can't replace with notepadd++ or editplus.