Twitchy mouse.

cadburys_egg

I use a "Basic Optical Mouse" by Microsoft. USB/PS2 compatible, 5V 100mA (whether that helps atall is a mystery)

Basically, it just randomly twitches about. I'll be doing one thing in Photoshop and the next moment my mouse in the top corner, which I didn't want. It doesn't happen alot, but it always happens when I don't need it to, especially during online FPS. :x

I've tried using a mousemat, not using a mousemat and even buying a new mousemat but it constantly twitches. I've tried tweaking a few things in the control panel options but nothing makes much of a difference.

So, is it the mouse or the surface that is causing this?

knkcopy.jpg

I think its the mouse. Mine does it at home and it also happens at work sometimes. All use the basic Microsoft laser mouse.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ah, my friend has that problem, I'll be walking behind him, playing Counter Strike and all of a sudden his character points straight up. I don't think it happens to him as much, not sure what he did, I'll ask him sometime. Is there any way to clean where the laser comes out or anything?

Combat FTL

Combat_FTL.png

As far as I know it has to do with the mouse tracking the surface you're using. Try changing the surfaces you're using for a mouse pad (standard pad, white peice of paper, ect) and see how that effects it.

My logitech optical doesn't have this problem on a solid blue, synthetic "Fellowes" mouse page, my laptop optical doesn't do this on wood grain, but the optical on my mom's tower does (the same wood grain finish). Just have to find the right surface for the mouse I guess. :?

It's almost certainly your mouse. I've never had an expensive mouse (don't really need to spend 30 more bucks, I mostly play single-player games), always the standard mouse that comes with Dell computers. The same thing happens to me, maybe 1-2 times a day (In FPS, it would have me stairing at the floor or ceiling, spinning rapidly for say a second). And this exact thing has happened on the last 3 mice I've had, but I've pretty much learned to deal with it.

Obviously you could buy a more expensive mouse, but only if it's really important enough to warrant $50+.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Optical mice don't like shiny surfaces. Try getting a dull, grey mousepad (or something like it) and try again. If it still does the same thing, it's probably your mouse.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

Occasionally my cursor decides to keep moving across the screen even when I've taken my hand off the mouse. Probably something to do with the semi-shiny wood desk its on.

So yeah, as others said, a dull surface should stop it or if it keeps happening, get a new mouse.

1264cc30.gif