Buddy list

This is actually a standard feature of the upcoming phpBB 3.x "Olympus" release. It allows you to see if you "friends" are online and also allows you to ignore messages from your "enemies".

When or if we will be upgrading to that release is not yet determined as it is still in the BETA stage and no upgrade path has been provided yet. Added to the fact that the forum software has already been very heavily modified to fit our specific needs.

The idea of adding it to our current package has been tossed around in the past but has always been tossed aside as added and unnecessary "bloat". As the forum is not a real method of "instant" communication such as IRC, MSN, yahoo and other similar programs, its never really been considered needed to know if a specific person is online other then viewing the "Who is Online" list at the bottom of the forum index.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Yeah.. what would be the use of this? :-s

I guess if anyone has short term memory loss it may be helpful for them to remember the new friends they've made.. However I have a good memory and I remember who my friends are around here. I also member many little facts about random members I've collected over time ;)

I don't think a friends list is needed. Maybe helpful for some, but wouldn't it be just as simple to write their name down on a piece of paper or ever in a text document? The only use I can see coming out of a friends list is nowing when someone is online but I don't see how that really matters much. Just because someone is online doesn't mean they're going to respond to your PM quickly or even check a thread you're hoping for them to post in.. To me the idea seems like a waste..

I guess if anyone has short term memory loss it may be helpful for them to remember the new friends they've made.. However I have a good memory and I remember who my friends are around here. I also member many little facts about random members I've collected over time ;)

I don't think a friends list is needed. Maybe helpful for some, but wouldn't it be just as simple to write their name down on a piece of paper or ever in a text document? The only use I can see coming out of a friends list is nowing when someone is online but I don't see how that really matters much. Just because someone is online doesn't mean they're going to respond to your PM quickly or even check a thread you're hoping for them to post in.. To me the idea seems like a waste..

Maybe he's asking for it so that he can view who's online on the forums and have a feature where he can talk to him on an Instant Message thing which could be brought into the forums. But It would just be easier for them to talk on IRC if they use it. :wink:

This is actually a standard feature of the upcoming phpBB 3.x "Olympus" release. It allows you to see if you "friends" are online and also allows you to ignore messages from your "enemies".

When or if we will be upgrading to that release is not yet determined as it is still in the BETA stage and no upgrade path has been provided yet. Added to the fact that the forum software has already been very heavily modified to fit our specific needs.

The idea of adding it to our current package has been tossed around in the past but has always been tossed aside as added and unnecessary "bloat". As the forum is not a real method of "instant" communication such as IRC, MSN, yahoo and other similar programs, its never really been considered needed to know if a specific person is online other then viewing the "Who is Online" list at the bottom of the forum index.

Woo. I can finally say IL+1 to trolls in OT

Maybe he's asking for it so that he can view who's online on the forums and have a feature where he can talk to him on an Instant Message thing which could be brought into the forums. But It would just be easier for them to talk on IRC if they use it. :wink:

When you go into a forum (Off Topic for example) you can see everyone who's browsing that forum (unless they've chosen to remain invisible or whatever). As for instant messaging.. A lot of us have AIM, MSNM, or YIM. They're free to use, no need to bring an instant messaging feature to the forum. If you want to contact someone via IM, there's a little link under their sig that give you their IM address (if they've entered it into their profile).

When you go into a forum (Off Topic for example) you can see everyone who's browsing that forum (unless they've chosen to remain invisible or whatever). As for instant messaging.. A lot of us have AIM, MSNM, or YIM. They're free to use, no need to bring an instant messaging feature to the forum. If you want to contact someone via IM, there's a little link under their sig that give you their IM address (if they've entered it into their profile).

Really! :o :shock: Well you learn something new everyday! You wouldn't of thought I would know that after more than 18 months on this forum. :roll:

If you reread my post I wasn't exactly for it I was more against the idea (refer to my bolded words). I was simply stating why he might wish for a "Buddy list" to be implemented into TIF, as he didn't really state his intentions clearly on his thread post, as to why he wanted a buddy list. :roll: