RuneScape as a Pure Money Game

Bankrolla

Hi, great site here.

I played RuneScape years ago, but never got serious about it (I seem to recall my level being in the teens when I quit playing). I totally forgot about the game for over 5 years (IIRC); when I revisited the official site I saw that it had changed. Apparently what I played is now called "RuneScape Classic." Anyway, I couldn't remember my old account info, but after making a new account, and leveling a while, I realized the game-play didn't really appeal to me (it seems like one big grind) -- but I found the money system very interesting indeed...

So, I ask you, the experts: what if you were to create a fresh F2P account (I'm not interested in membership [yet]), and focus all your attention on merchanting? The game starts you with 25 gold; how would you go about turning that into 1 million gold, based purely on buying and selling goods?

There would be a few "rules" which I would really prefer to adhere to if at all possible:

•  

[*:14exa29l] No skill-leveling (Can you access all areas without leveling? Like I said, I'm basically an old newbie.)

[*:14exa29l] No scavenging (See a pile of discarded stuff you could sell? Too bad; pass on by...)

[*:14exa29l] No soliciting or accepting gifts (If a motivated buyer willingly pays a premium, that's fine -- indeed, that's capitalism -- as long as it's not blatant.)

[*:14exa29l] No trading (This is about the cash system, not the barter system.)

[*:14exa29l] No using forums (Remember: this would be F2P, so no access to the official member forums. Do all business in-game.)

[*:14exa29l] No buying gold with real-life money or trades (not only is this obvious, it's against the rules, and defeats the purpose of the exercise).

I've just created a fresh account, with no XP other than what's necessary on Tutorial Island. I immediately came here as it appeared to be the major fan-site, to ask your advice. I would take a perverse sort of pride in becoming filthy rich, while maintaining level 1 in every skill, and carrying no weapons/armor (except to sell). :twisted: I could just dive in and wing it, but I'd prefer to have a game-plan, hopefully with your help.

Thanks!

1 word: Impossible. How will you make money with only 25gp without applying any of the rules you are against?

Welcome back to Runescape.

It's not impossible -.-

How did you get all your money? You obviously started out like that and worked your way up.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

1 word: Impossible. How will you make money with only 25gp without applying any of the rules you are against?

People have turned 1 dollar into billions, in real life. Surely it's possible to buy an item or two with that initial 25 gold, resell them for a small profit, and keep that ball rolling, right? I'm asking for some ideas to get started, and especially for the later stages.

I'm almost afraid to start, for fear that I might overlook something obvious that you all could help me with. Just think of it as a hypothetical, even if you'd never want to take it on yourself...

Welcome back to Runescape.

Thanks. :-)

So you want to make money without trading, and without raising any skills, am i right?

Yeah, that's basically it, in a nutshell. I'm nothing if not overly long-winded... ;-)

Surely it's possible to buy an item or two with that initial 25 gold, resell them for a small profit, and keep that ball rolling, right?

Well, doesn't selling/buying items from the general store consider as trading? 8-)

You can sell all the items (picaxe, sword, axe, etc - basically all the items you obtain from Tutorial Island) to the general store, but in return you will on receive ~200gp.

After thinking a little by doing some Runescape homework I would like to reconsider making my first quote about the "impossible" part. This trick will take almost literally forever: Claim your 10 free Air + Mind runes from the Magic Tutor (north of Lumbridge Castle) and sell them. Note that the Tutor will only give runes once per day (at least I think).

Surely it's possible to buy an item or two with that initial 25 gold, resell them for a small profit, and keep that ball rolling, right?

Well, doesn't selling/buying items from the general store consider as trading? 8-)

You can sell all the items (picaxe, sword, axe, etc - basically all the items you obtain from Tutorial Island) to the general store, but in return you will on receive ~200gp.

After thinking a little by doing some Runescape homework I would like to reconsider making my first quote about the "impossible" part. This trick will take almost literally forever: Claim your 10 free Air + Mind runes from the Magic Tutor (north of Lumbridge Castle) and sell them. Note that the Tutor will only give runes once per day.

Really? Isnt it once in half an hour?

No! You'll die if you try to kill that farmer!
nah whips should be as left as is. besides theyre the intestine of an abbysal demon (i think) have fun crafting that.

After thinking a little by doing some Runescape homework I would like to reconsider making my first quote about the "impossible" part. This trick will take almost literally forever: Claim your 10 free Air + Mind runes from the Magic Tutor (north of Lumbridge Castle) and sell them. Note that the Tutor will only give runes once per day.

Yes, it is. But u have to use them first.

This may not be completely impossible but its pretty close to it if you go by your rules.

After thinking a little by doing some Runescape homework I would like to reconsider making my first quote about the "impossible" part. This trick will take almost literally forever: Claim your 10 free Air + Mind runes from the Magic Tutor (north of Lumbridge Castle) and sell them. Note that the Tutor will only give runes once per day (at least I think).

If buying from stores is considered trading, couldn't that be considered as accepting gifts :P

scaperunesigjw5.png

Check out my Pocket Slot idea!

Good luck, you might also want to try running to the wildy and grabbing steel plates or nats for some initial money.

I think what he means by trades is item trades... :?

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

See now, I'm learning new things by the minute: I had no idea there was such a thing as a "General Store." ;-) Did these exist in RSC? If so, I never saw one... I'd have to say the store is acceptable, as it qualifies as buying and selling for cash. The only downside would be the (presumably?) fixed prices. The open-market of the population would be more volatile, but could be manipulated in your favor.

I wouldn't sell my starting goods, though -- in fact I'd prefer to dump them, as they are gifts.

Thanks for the tip! :-)

Claim your 10 free Air + Mind runes from the Magic Tutor (north of Lumbridge Castle) and sell them.

If buying from stores is considered trading, couldn't that be considered as accepting gifts :P

I'd have to say yes. Milking the Tutors like "item cows" would miss the point, which is basically to become a self-made millionaire salesman (aside from the initial "gift" of 25 gold).

Good luck, you might also want to try running to the wildy and grabbing steel plates or nats for some initial money.

I think what he means by trades is item trades... :?

No scavenging! :-P

And yeah, trading = bartering, as opposed to buying/selling for cash.

I'm sure it is "impossible," for all intents and purposes, due to time. But it might be a fun challenge to see how many times I can roll 25 gold over before going insane. :lol:

Its not scavenging kills, its picking up spawns. 8-)

"]doughnutt.jpg

Lol what your doing is begging to humour me. your saying your not going to buy/sell things, and your not going to pick things up off the ground. your not going to train skills and you don't accept gifts.. So the only thing i can see you doing is staring at the screen at your 25gp.. Maybe you will try to talk it into multiplying? "c'mon, you know you want to.. just switch sides with the 5.. c'mon 2 don't be so stubborn.. i need my 52 gp!... " It makes no sense to me, and the way your going about it is impossible. Regardless, keep this post updated to how your doing. I'de like to follow your progress. Lol =D> \'

ranger,cutie%20619.gif

cutie%20619.gif

From what I understand he doesn't support bartering.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Yes, it is. But u have to use them first.

This is an overlooked fact. If you drop the runes a couple of squares away, the talk to her, she gives u new runes.

This is an overlooked fact. If you drop the runes a couple of squares away, the talk to her, she gives u new runes.

And you can't have any in your bank, so if you drop 30 of each rune on the ground then try to claim them with some mind or air runes they won't allow you too.

"]doughnutt.jpg

So this is a more extreme version of "the paperclip challenge", with a no barter rule thrown in.

Buying items for cash, selling items for cash - this will make the early stages a test of luck, as a lot of the progress results from the trade of surplus items for one wanted item.

Getting an item (or items) for 25 gp that will sell for more (cash) is the toughest call - assuming you discard everything but the cash, then not sure if you could buy 3 air runes - when you'd need to meet someone short of air runes for a teleport.

Beads would be good, if you see them in a general store, but need to find someone who wants that colour for Imp catcher.

I'd suggest one modification to the challenge, pick up some coins, or do level 1 of the stronghold (just run through), and then give youself a choice of 25gp starter items, eg. bronze arrows bought in general store, beads, logs... 25gp-worth of anything you can get, and then consider the one that works as your starting point - like running multiple trials at once.

Buying bronze helms at Peksa's (when strongholders have depressed prices by dumping large numbers of them), and selling after a reset might work.

I'd call it practically impossible without a barter trade, as many players can be stingy with gp, but generous with low to medium grade loot that they would otherwise drop or sell to a general store

hmm, i think this can be done.

You WILL be called a noob, come may not buy, but go to lumby, any f2p world and buy willow logs for 12 ea - plenty there due to macroers :wall: :wall: :shame: :shame: :wall: :wall: but you can then sell them for 20 or 25 ea - remember - you will only have 2 lol, but if you keep at it, i think it may eb ablt o be done.

My memb runs out soon, so i may try that. see how long i take to get bored lol :)

noob,maximu160490.gif

maximu160490.gif

You WILL be called a noob, come may not buy, but go to lumby, any f2p world and buy willow logs for 12 ea - plenty there due to macroers :wall: :wall: :shame: :shame: :wall: :wall: but you can then sell them for 20 or 25 ea - remember - you will only have 2 lol, but if you keep at it, i think it may eb ablt o be done.

My memb runs out soon, so i may try that. see how long i take to get bored lol :)

Lol, you buy 2 then sell for 50 coins then buy 4 and sell for 100 coins, rinse and repeat. :XD:

"]doughnutt.jpg

Lol, you buy 2 then sell for 50 coins then buy 4 and sell for 100 coins, rinse and repeat. :XD:

basicalyy, but you can start with about 100 coins, im tryin it now, have just uner 100 coins, levle 3 and i WILL make about 100k lol

jsut bout 7 willows :) 140 gp ftw :)

noob,maximu160490.gif

maximu160490.gif