Last Name?

ctp080188

But in the past, there were also ambitious women who could do nothing but push their husbands to achieve their own ambitions. Very frustrating, as I'm sure you understand. These days, women can do that for themselves. Quite frankly, I believe that's not only a relief to women...

*cough* Lady Macbeth *cough*.

(fear them)

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in the past, there were also ambitious women who could do nothing but push their husbands to achieve their own ambitions. Very frustrating, as I'm sure you understand. These days, women can do that for themselves. Quite frankly, I believe that's not only a relief to women...

*cough* Lady Macbeth *cough*.

(fear them)

Hehe. Livia is another school example *grin*.

I plan on my wife taking my last name, because I don't believe in upsetting traditions without good reason, and because I have a very strong sense of lineage. Now, if her last name is every bit as important to her as mine is to me, we could double-barrel it; I wouldn't mind that at all.

However, we will have the same last name, whatever we decide. There's just something disunified about a husband and wife having different last names, and I believe in having as much unity as possible in a marriage.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Perhaps if people want to continue the discussion on the physiology of men and women they can take it elsewhere...

Agreed, which is why i've tried to split off all the posts related to male/female superiority or history. You can take it elsewhere, but if you bring it back here, i'll lock it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I plan on my wife taking my last name, because I don't believe in upsetting traditions without good reason, and because I have a very strong sense of lineage. Now, if her last name is every bit as important to her as mine is to me, we could double-barrel it; I wouldn't mind that at all.

However, we will have the same last name, whatever we decide. There's just something disunified about a husband and wife having different last names, and I believe in having as much unity as possible in a marriage.

You say you don't wish to upset traditions for any good reason, so I ask this:

What if your wife said she was keeping her last name, and she was not keen on double-barrelling her name, either? Is that a good enough reason to upset tradition?

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Wow thanks for removing every single one of my posts. You've just removed about two hours of my life like that. It's not like anybody was flaming and cursing, besides Tigra everyone was being quite reasonable. It had turned into a debate and the discussion was moving on, surely you couldn't expect us to continue talking about the orginal poster, who has posted only once.

The posts were split off, not removed. Grow up and stop whining.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Wow thanks for removing every single one of my posts. You've just removed about two hours of my life like that. It's not like anybody was flaming and cursing, besides Tigra everyone was being quite reasonable. It had turned into a debate and the discussion was moving on, surely you couldn't expect us to continue talking about the orginal poster, who has posted only once.

When there is a clear wish for the original debate to continue, then yes, I can expect you to stick with the original discussion. If you want to carry your debate on, like I said, start a new topic. I split your replies off but if you really want I can still retrieve them for reference.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

You were saying women shouldn't have any rights because its "tradition".

Sure you weren't exactly flaming, though its just about as bad.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

I asked a question and awaited responses. Which is what occured. If I feel the need to say something then I will, but I am not too great at expressing myself in writing, and to save myself looking like a fool I will not post in a heated debate. Does it matter if I post or not?

But meh, if a different discussion evolves from this I have no issues with it seeing as it still loosely related back to the original question, and to be quite frank, was quite interesting.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Why am I always labeled "unreasonable"? Because I strongly disagree with your stance, which is that women are lesser than you because of "tradition" and physical differences?

As I already explained - You only have ONE thing over women. You're probably physically stronger. In EVERY other aspect of life, women OWN you. And since we're no longer out hunting our food down and slaughtering it, or punching our enemies in the face to death, what the hell good is physical strength these days?

Deal with your posts being deleted. All of ours were too, and we were actually right. You were wrong - you shuold be happy they're gone.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

FFS drop it people! This is a topic about LAST NAMES not about the strengths of men and women. This thread has already been cleaned of offtopic posts and people bring it right back. This is now likely to just be locked rather than cleaned again. Well done... <.<

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Why am I always labeled "unreasonable"? Because I strongly disagree with your stance, which is that women are lesser than you because of "tradition" and physical differences?

As I already explained - You only have ONE thing over women. You're probably physically stronger. In EVERY other aspect of life, women OWN you. And since we're no longer out hunting our food down and slaughtering it, or punching our enemies in the face to death, what the hell good is physical strength these days?

Deal with your posts being deleted. All of ours were too, and we were actually right. You were wrong - you shuold be happy they're gone.

Your right, men these days have a diminished need for physical strength, but you can't just undo hundreds of thousands of years of evolution (that which suggests male humans are dominant over female humans). In some species, the females are stronger and more dominant. It's just the way nature works sometimes and in the case of humans, males are typically dominant.

(sorry for the offtopicness of my post)

[bleep] drop it people! This is a topic about LAST NAMES not about the strengths of men and women. This thread has already been cleaned of offtopic posts and people bring it right back. This is now likely to just be locked rather than cleaned again. Well done... <.<

They made it about men and women when they gave their reasoning for keeping their last names. They've proved themselves to be sexist, so I question them. Completely valid, I say.

Why do you care anyways? You only comment on topics when it's something that bugs you, i.e. when it's something you can [bleep] about because you think it's stupid. At least we're conversating here, aye?

- Me!

[bleep] drop it people! This is a topic about LAST NAMES not about the strengths of men and women. This thread has already been cleaned of offtopic posts and people bring it right back. This is now likely to just be locked rather than cleaned again. Well done... <.<

They made it about men and women when they gave their reasoning for keeping their last names. They've proved themselves to be sexist, so I question them. Completely valid, I say.

Why do you care anyways? You only comment on topics when it's something that bugs you, i.e. when it's something you can [bleep] about because you think it's stupid. At least we're conversating here, aye?

Guna have to agree. Except for the persistent personal attacks of course.

The core of the discussion of taking last names is the relationship between men and women. If we didn't want to talk about that, we'd just not have a discussion because we'd all just post what we're going to do when we get married, and leave.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

You say you don't wish to upset traditions for any good reason, so I ask this:

What if your wife said she was keeping her last name, and she was not keen on double-barrelling her name, either? Is that a good enough reason to upset tradition?

Like I said, if my wife's last name is that important to her, I'll buck tradition. I would try to compromise with her, and try to convince her to double-barrel at least. If she won't even consider that, I'm not sure how I'd react. I wouldn't want to give up my name either, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with us having different last names, as that, to me, makes us seem disunified. And something that small certainly would not be worth ending the relationship over.

Personally, I don't think I'd be in a situation like that. If I'm marrying someone, it will be someone whom I love enough to compromise other things for, and who loves me enough to compromise things for me. So I don't think I'd be with a woman who doesn't love me enough to compromise when I'm willing to compromise with her.

Your question is a good one; assuming there were no compromise possible, I don't know what I'd do.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton