Do Jagex encourage poor grammar by their censoring? Discuss.

netron28

I do not recall having said anything about Runescape being a place to practice grammar, I just said that Jagex perhaps encouraged bad grammar with their censoring system.

"Gain lvls? As a "lvl 3 skiller"? The clue's in the title, nub!"

pressieoz9.png

Mmm%20Syrup-%20miner%20extraordinaire!.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem. For anyone who has seen me type in game - you'd know that I use near perfect grammar, with full stops and all. ("Periods" for you Americans.)

By all means, I whole heartedly think that Jagex does support bad grammar. If I could report text speak. (I don't mind "Lol" and "Cya", I can stand them.) I see so much bad grammar in RuneScape nowadays... Is it because Jagex affiliated themsleves with MiniClip? Maybe, but most of the MiniClippers I've got on my list use very good grammar.

If anything, they should censor text speak to the point where it becomes unusable. I hate it when (Eep. I'm going to have to use text speak. :ohnoes:) people say "U" and "O" and "C"! It really, really, really gets to me. Call me old fashioned or whatever. I really don't care.

That's my two cents anyway. :XD:

lebewohlsiggykd0.png

I don't know what country you hail from, but sadly in America that's more true than most people realize. Mostly because our public schools are too busy trying to teach basic English to the kids of illegal aliens to be bothered to focus on the native-born students. Or, all the classroom time is being sucked up with ridiculous "multi-cultural" garbage like saying the Pledge of Allegience in three different languages.

I'm not going to turn this into an anti-immigration rant, but the fact is, the American education system isn't working, and hasn't for almost a decade, so the only real education most kids get is actually outside of the classroom.

As for poor grammar in RS, yeah, it's annoying to not be able to read what someone said because their text looks like something a hyperactive, half-blind monkey with eight fingers typed out, but when it starts to get that annoying, I just turn Public to off.

+1 :thumbsup:

Yet another problem that can be traced back to JaGEx attempting to make Runescape into an electronic babysitter. IMO the game would be better with no censor at all, and remember that there really can't be any legitimate complaints, seeing as how there IS a 13+ age limit... Or maybe it's just a huge conspiracy intended to force everyone to use really bad grammer. Who knows?

i'd hate to see that happen. there are enough racist preteens who think swearing is cool already, think of how it would be without a censor

• 5 weeks later...
Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe. :ohnoes: If that generation are learning that about grammar, then what does the future hold?!

possessive wrds don;t need an apostrophe. "Its" (belonging to it) theirs, his, hers, etc. None have an apostrophe. But i think i see what you're getting at.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

the censoring really does get stupid sometimes - for example "thats" was filtered for ages a while back. thats (lol) not bad grammar though, just annoying.

i believe the censor is absolutely poor however.

I would hate to be on the german server with the sensor as some german words are soooo loonnggg, misspell one letter and it gets sensored, you got another 5 minutes of typin to say the word again :wall:

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

you found out! jagex's secret plan to make all little kids fail AP English in high school and never pass the SATs and ACTs and then never take english in college :shock: who told u?

word filter is there to avoid lawsuits, IMO its as simple as that

I would hate to be on the german server with the sensor as some german words are soooo loonnggg, misspell one letter and it gets sensored, you got another 5 minutes of typin to say the word again

hehe, thats what happens when u get lazy with a language and just smush together old words to make new ones :-k