Do Jagex encourage poor grammar by their censoring? Discuss.

netron28

Hello, all.

I was playing Runescape today, and I noticed that some words which appeared in the chat appeared to be using poor grammar, I realised shortly after this that the poor grammatical appearance of the words was down to certain methods of censoring. The fact that you cannot put an apostrophe in a phrase like "It's great" without it coming up as "It'* great" in the chat encourages the use of poor grammar I feel. Please discuss this in a constructive manner.

Thank you,

netron28

"Gain lvls? As a "lvl 3 skiller"? The clue's in the title, nub!"

pressieoz9.png

Mmm%20Syrup-%20miner%20extraordinaire!.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grammar is something I whole heartedly support, and I feel that Jagex lets us down with their poor censoring system. They really need to sit down and improve the system so that it makes life a bit easier for the players.

the censoring is there to discourage cursing. not only does it fail to do that, it makes it hard to type legit words without being censored (at one point 'fletching' was censored). it needs quite a bit of improvement, but people will always find a way around it and force it to be fixed, it's an endless cycle.

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe. :ohnoes: If that generation are learning that about grammar, then what does the future hold?!

pressieoz9.png

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe. :ohnoes: If that generation are learning that about grammar, then what does the future hold?!

hopefully that part will be fixed soon...those little stars are annoying...

they'll likely learn otherwise in 8th grade and hopefully don't sink to chatspeak, like many others

unfortunately only a few grammatically correct people notice the censor, most people do tend to use 1337/chatspeak...

And another thing- do we really need to abbreviate the names of items when we are speaking English? I can understand how you might need to in the German translation, as the German for restore potion is longwinded, but that can't help, can it?

pressieoz9.png

I'm not sure what to think with grammar and runescape, i type with a certain degree of grammar but i think on runescape as long as you're not typing like a total idiot who doesn't understand the english language its fine. Using "thats" isn't much of a problem as long as leet speak is somewhat censored.

Well i stand for good grammar and spelling, and from what i can see, JAGeX are doing a good job to avoid people spelling like infants.

The censor has many restrictions which limit the words you can type, without them being * out. - Such words do include poor spellings of longer words.

As far as im aware, i never have any problem with the censor, and i use good grammar.

And another thing- do we really need to abbreviate the names of items when we are speaking English? I can understand how you might need to in the German translation, as the German for restore potion is longwinded, but that can't help, can it?

I do not mind the abbreviation of Runescape words as much. It is the use of words like "u" and "plz" that annoys me.

dragonmsmithcape,Sethp50.gif

Because we all know that these kids are not learning anything in school and get all of their knowledge from a little java game.

That was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell. I serriously doubt that just because something gets censored in a game that it will have an impact on a child or someone playing said game.

So, to be honest, what gets censored in game isn't going to stop a child from saying said word, or spelling it correctly.

^^ Exactly, plus, the forums here don't have as strict of a censor as the game, yet you can go through the threads and find plenty of bad grammar (not including those whose first language isn't English).

It's not the censors that encourage bad grammar, it's laziness. Why type 2 extra letters when you can type "u", or you can be unique (just like everyone else that does it) and type using numbers for letters.

I can understand to a point, in game, using abbreviations and such. Because in a fast chat area, you won't to get your message out as fast as possible. Or you're explaining something about the game to someone else, abbreviate so that you don't have to type 20 lines worth of information.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Because we all know that these kids are not learning anything in school and get all of their knowledge from a little java game.

I don't know what country you hail from, but sadly in America that's more true than most people realize. Mostly because our public schools are too busy trying to teach basic English to the kids of illegal aliens to be bothered to focus on the native-born students. Or, all the classroom time is being sucked up with ridiculous "multi-cultural" garbage like saying the Pledge of Allegience in three different languages.

I'm not going to turn this into an anti-immigration rant, but the fact is, the American education system isn't working, and hasn't for almost a decade, so the only real education most kids get is actually outside of the classroom.

As for poor grammar in RS, yeah, it's annoying to not be able to read what someone said because their text looks like something a hyperactive, half-blind monkey with eight fingers typed out, but when it starts to get that annoying, I just turn Public to off.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

I hate the censoring system altogether, I can never say my accounts name it comes up as Mock*bird and with my old account Razzzzzza it came up as Raz*****za i hate the system and it needs to be improved. I dont think it encourages bad grammar, it just has a incredibly poor censoring system

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe.

Possessive words do not need an apostrophe \'I know what you mean though

The problem is we have kids that think that slang is the same as misspelling words. Thats wrong in my opinion. I talk in full sentences with periods i barely use stuff like "wtf, rofl, ttyl". I get called "wanna-be mod" for talking in real words. It bothers me.

I don't know what country you hail from, but sadly in America that's more true than most people realize. Mostly because our public schools are too busy trying to teach basic English to the kids of illegal aliens to be bothered to focus on the native-born students. Or, all the classroom time is being sucked up with ridiculous "multi-cultural" garbage like saying the Pledge of Allegience in three different languages.

I'm not going to turn this into an anti-immigration rant, but the fact is, the American education system isn't working, and hasn't for almost a decade, so the only real education most kids get is actually outside of the classroom.

As for poor grammar in RS, yeah, it's annoying to not be able to read what someone said because their text looks like something a hyperactive, half-blind monkey with eight fingers typed out, but when it starts to get that annoying, I just turn Public to off.

I'm from the U.S. I guess times have changed a lot, but back when I was in grade school I learned all of that in the classroom. I would asume it would matter where in the states you lived, some really don't have many illigal imagrants in them.

eh, i wouldnt say it is encouraging poor grammer, its more of the fact that they just dont want people to swear, and no the censor is not perfect, but oh well, if you can still understand the person, then it shouldnt matter

url=http://www.draynor.net/]barrowsmguthan,serj%20tkn.gif[/url]

The thing is.... how many people do you see on a game with minimal or no sensors, speak in perfect grammer? Better yet, how many people on this forum do you see using perfect grammer? (i'm pretty sure I don't, cause i'm horrible at grammer). The point is, grammer, even in day to day life, can often be overlooked. On top of that, when you're typing in a game, trying to save time (as typing does occupy two of the hands you use to click), it's easy to not care about spelling (hence the birth of leet) let alone grammer. Who honestly expects to use his or her own brain when playing a game, and who honestly believes he or she can learn prober grammer ingame? I sure don't, and I hope no many others do... :anxious:

I agree, the censors need serious retuning, not so much to block out swearing (as that can still be done in obscured ways) but so that normal words are not blocked. However, changing it for the sake of grammer is not a reason.

I think it is a shame to say that jagex are making this happen. They are not actually doing it on purpouse.

the people who make the censor are very aware of the current usse with S'es and have tried many times to fix the problem. Currently they are still having issues....... it just likes getting stared!

A while back when the german beta was launched, the same problem happned with the letter "K" things like "IDK" came out as "ID*" however they where lucky here and the fix was easier.

Only time shally judge the sneaky s!

sig2webzx7.jpg

well, jagex are just trying to do there job- i thought about this and here is something

you type in it's and u get "it*s" but here is the catch-turn round it's and u get "

s'it- the s word for others that don't get it.

So, no, Jagex isn't forcing bad grammar there just doing there job-really badly

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I think it's actually more of the internet encourages bad spelling and grammar. :)

Agreed. Like I said, internet use, not censorship, is the root of poor grammar and overall english. How many times have one seen "lol", or "i" not capitalized? Or "e" in English not capitalized for that matter. How many times have you seen slangs or short forms, sentences missing nouns or verbs, etc etc. And how much of that is as a result of poor censorship on Runescape? (How many times have you seen sentences start with and?) The answer is probably close to none.

If you're going to tackle grammar, Internet as a whole is at fault, not Runescape. I don't even think the censorship has any effect on the players for that matter, other then mild nuance.