Do Jagex encourage poor grammar by their censoring? Discuss.

netron28

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this is true indeed i had a chat with a kid yesterday who was trying to start something with me the same kida kid who is allllways right and is the best at every thing and calls you a noob even though your about 50 lvls higher than him and he tryed telling me how to spell. he then said to me this to me i go to skl i no how to spell m8

haha it made me laugh

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Honestly do we need that much of a censoring system?

I know some games have limited words censored.

F**K, S**T, Phone, etc. just some basic words that are either complete "vulgar" or are invading personal information.

But really, why do they have such a censor system? Are they aiming the game to be played by a 7 year-old whose showing their mom/dad the game "wow i got lvl 7 runecrafting! hehe! this took me a whole hour!"

Like, I honestly don't see the point in it >_>

If someone wants to talk trash to you/someone else, just block them... lol. :uhh:

blackmfmcape,Issac%20Amisov.gif

Issac%20amisov.gif

CHECK OUT MY TOPIC TO 99 FIREMAKING

Proud Runescaper Since 2003

"Skiller Fo' Lyfe"

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe. :ohnoes: If that generation are learning that about grammar, then what does the future hold?!

um, actually, the possessive doesn't need an apostrophe. only the contraction "it is" needs it. but i see what you mean.

The USSR will rise again

Why do people feel communism is so awful?

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe. :ohnoes: If that generation are learning that about grammar, then what does the future hold?!

Because we all know that these kids are not learning anything in school and get all of their knowledge from a little java game.

That was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell. I serriously doubt that just because something gets censored in a game that it will have an impact on a child or someone playing said game.

So, to be honest, what gets censored in game isn't going to stop a child from saying said word, or spelling it correctly.

they may not be affected by what they see in-game, but the internet chatspeak in gerenal does have an affect. ive seen high school papers with chatspeak instead of proper grammar

The USSR will rise again

Why do people feel communism is so awful?

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT:Sorry bout stealing your topic...^^^

...game that it will have an impact on a child or someone playing said game.

So, to be honest, what gets censored in game isn't going to stop a child from saying said word, or spelling it correctly.

Not so. A recent sudy showed my generation's (currently y7-y12) spelleing is 33% worse then the generation before it and that generation before that was 12% better... What do they blame? Internet/text message abreviations!

We had a test recently which started out with words like "at" and moved onto "beathe" then to "seismograph". A girl was pulling out her golden locks trying to spell "for". She got it in the end but it's disturbing that a 13+ year old girl couldn't spell it in two seconds flat...

A mad scientist in the attic, the owner is a vampire that dwells in the basement, a witch, skeletons, ghosts....

And you thought YOUR neighbors were weird!

Do cellphones encourage bad grammar because of the obvious lack of ability to use full bodied words? More than likely.

Does Jagex encourage bad grammar because of the filter? I doubt that.

There's some things that aren't all that bad; a misplaced apostrophe here and an uncapitalized "I" there. But it's ultimately the players' responsibility to learn how to type full words either ingame or on fansites. Some words may come out as starred, but never fear: the thesaurus is here! (You could find one at http://www.m-w.com , if you ever needed it.)

If you think about it, the cellphone doesn't allow for much of the "home row" feature, unless you have an overpriced phone with keyboard, which does nothing other than play music and take pictures (iPod and Canon, people). The computer, regardless of what language or keyboard layout (QWERTY or DVORAK), generally has a "home row" and the ability to type out full sentences even at < 20WPM isn't complex or really difficult. Each individual just chooses to type either full sentences, "txt-talk" or 1337-speak. I don't think the filter could be held responsible for that.

If you're going to blame someone for this lack of grammar sense, place the blame where it's due. That's something that's well beyond Jagex's scope of control.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I would say that the filter does force us to use different words than we normnally may use which mnay include bad grammar but i don't think Jagex is trying to encourage bad grammar atall; atleast not intentially. NThey just need to refine thneir chat filter as the do and have done over the last few years to a stage where it may even be clever enough to understand context (WOOT).

I was trying to say to someone the other day (dont ask me why): 'i thought you were going to address me as mr griffin lol' but it wouldnt let me say address so the whole sentence was kinda ruined. True the filter picked that up for personaly detail rules but its pretty much one of kind. Only the odd apostrophe, typo and word is unercersarily banned but i would prefer to be able to say address soon.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Personnally, I put in the punctuation, whether it get censored or not.

I am very happy with the new update of being able to capitilize the first letter of every word, so I will no longer have to type "i", bleh.

I don't think they're actively encouraging bad grammar, no, I mean its not like someone who normally adds punctuations, capitals, good spelling etc., it going to lose sight of that in his typing outside of runescape.

Most of the internet community isn't very grammar-proficient in the first place, when was the last time you went to another game without seeing people use "u" and "r" for you and are (duh =P)

snowsigyy7.png

Personnally, I put in the punctuation, whether it get censored or not.

I am very happy with the new update of being able to capitilize the first letter of every word, so I will no longer have to type "i", bleh.

I don't think they're actively encouraging bad grammar, no, I mean its not like someone who normally adds punctuations, capitals, good spelling etc., it going to lose sight of that in his typing outside of runescape.

Most of the internet community isn't very grammar-proficient in the first place, when was the last time you went to another game without seeing people use "u" and "r" for you and are (duh =P)

Probaly 3 or so years ago when I used to play runescape.

Sure it might pop up here or there in other MMOs I have played but I rarly see it.

Well i stand for good grammar and spelling, and from what i can see, JAGeX are doing a good job to avoid people spelling like infants.

The censor has many restrictions which limit the words you can type, without them being * out. - Such words do include poor spellings of longer words.

As far as im aware, i never have any problem with the censor, and i use good grammar.

+1

I do have problems. I can't say It's. Therre are lots of level 70's here. They become: It'* and There are lots of level 70'* here.

Annoying. I do believe that JaGEx encourage the use of chat-speak and leet-speak. It's really not acceptable, it doesn't show how "cool" you are. It makes you look like a geek. Now get over it. :shame:

I think it's actually more of the internet encourages bad spelling and grammar.

Do cellphones encourage bad grammar because of the obvious lack of ability to use full bodied words? More than likely

I agree with both the above statements. Both cellphones and chatprograms on the internet encouage the use of short words and sentences, for different reasons. Gawd even newpapers hold a lot of bad grammar nowadays... at least here in Sweden.

I definitly disagree with saying Jagex encouragin bad grammar. I would say they do the opposite based on for example how J-mods speak in game and on forums. That the censor catch things it isn't supposed to catch is a shame. I am personally not a big fan of censoring things, but I do see the necessity of having a censor, and the censor is indeed updated often. I believe Jagex do the best they can to get the censor not catching things it shouldn't.

One thing to keep in mind is the purpose of the censor. Sure, it is there to stop people saying bad words. Even more important is that it is there to remind people that they should not talk about those things.

Take the words phone or adress for example. You can get around them easily by saying fone or addy. But it is censored to tell/remind kids that they should not give out phone numbers to people they only know from in game. Same thing with adress, it serves as a reminder to not give out real life adress, or mail adress or any kind of adress to strangers. Ah well, that was a little off topic, sorry.

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really care about grammer skills on the internet. I mean, skipping an apostrophe or forgetting a capital letter never killed anyone (unless you're my english teacher...)

If anyone siggies that I'll hunt you down.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

eh, i wouldnt say it is encouraging poor grammer, its more of the fact that they just dont want people to swear, and no the censor is not perfect, but oh well, if you can still understand the person, then it shouldnt matter

You just spelt 'Grammar' wrong lol, u said 'Grammer'.

URL=http://Forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=351049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]sigbanksupportqd1.gif[/url]

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

It's not like Jagex are doing this on purpose, the chat system needs to be tweaked and they are probably working on it, but they still need to keep the other letters and words blocked.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Yet another problem that can be traced back to JaGEx attempting to make Runescape into an electronic babysitter. IMO the game would be better with no censor at all, and remember that there really can't be any legitimate complaints, seeing as how there IS a 13+ age limit... Or maybe it's just a huge conspiracy intended to force everyone to use really bad grammer. Who knows?

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Heh, i have felt they are encouraging bad grammar a few times when i'd said the full word and it would come out censored, but the shortened version isn't. :roll:

For example: I said Phone, wouldn't come out. But fone does.

I can't think of the other words at the minute, but it's happened to about 3 others.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

The censor does need to be improved. I mean, my username displays as "bio rapt**". What's up with that?

Point taken, but surely Jagex ought to be doing something to encourage good grammar among their clients? People who are 10 or so playing it are going to think that possessive words do not need an apostrophe.

Possessive words do not need an apostrophe \'I know what you mean though

Um... actually they do. As in the phrase, "This is Ziv's computer"

Also, the contraction of the word "is" with another word before it.

vraptor_con_small.jpg

eh, i wouldnt say it is encouraging poor grammer, its more of the fact that they just dont want people to swear, and no the censor is not perfect, but oh well, if you can still understand the person, then it shouldnt matter

You just spelt 'Grammar' wrong lol, u said 'Grammer'.

Yeah, it seems that half of the people here can't spell "grammar" correctly.

Therre are lots of level 70's here. They become: It'* and There are lots of level 70'* here.

Another thing on the topic of grammar-why are you putting an apostrophe for what is clearly a plural?

Well i stand for good grammar and spelling, and from what i can see, JAGeX are doing a good job to avoid people spelling like infants.

The censor has many restrictions which limit the words you can type, without them being * out. - Such words do include poor spellings of longer words.

As far as im aware, i never have any problem with the censor, and i use good grammar.

I don't think you do use good grammar. "JAGeX are doing..." should be "JAGeX is doing..."-subject-verb agreement. Jagex is a singular noun. About "im" and "i" ("i" appears several times)-what can I say?

Lots of people who have posted here prove that Jagex's censor system does encourage bad grammar.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

indirectly of course, but rs shouldn't be your way to practice grammer...i think it's a way to relax from the tense english classes with strict (depending on your school) grammer