SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

SportsGuy

This guide is intended to give the reader tips on meleeing Ghostly Warriors. There are very few minimum skill and quest requirements needed to access this training ground, but certain requirements do exist, because the monsters are only found in the spiritual realm, inside the locked 'Axe Hut'.

[hide=Requirements]-19 Summoning (to complete the quests)

-26 Farming (to complete the quests)

-35 Prayer (to complete the quests)

-40 Construction (to complete the quests)

-42 Thieving (to lockpick the entrance to the axe hut)

completion of The Restless Ghost and Spirit of Summer quests (for access to the spiritual realm)[/hide]

[hide=Why Ghostly Warriors?]There are many reasons why Ghostly Warriors are a good method of training. First, they have low defence and 44 hitpoints, making them easy targets for training melee. They are considered ghosts, so not only do they count on Slayer tasks where ghosts are assigned, but they are affected by Slashing weapons (i.e. the Abyssal whip), the 'Crumble Undead' spell, and the Salve amulet and Salve amulet(e). Despite having to traverse high-level wilderness to get to the location for teleportation, the spiritual realm itself is not considered wilderness, meaning teleporting is allowed from the realm if hitpoints run low or inventories get filled. The latter is much more likely.[/hide]

[hide=Ghostly Warrior drops]Ghostly warriors frequently drop steel armour items, which can be alchemised for a decent amount of gold, most of which yield more than the cost of a nature rune. That means that with a staff that grants use of unlimited fire runes, you can earn "free" magic experience and actually make money, even if you don't already have a stack of nature runes in the bank. In addition, because they drop gems, they also drop half keys, dragon left shield pieces, Rune javelins and spears, and Dragon spears (although all those are rare drops). Another even rarer drop is a Spirit Shield, which can be sold or kept to complement one that players are eventually awarded for completing the Summer's End quest.

The real benefits from fighting these creatures come in the rune drop category.

Ghostly warriors drop Mind runes in obscene amounts and Cosmic runes almost as much. They also drop a good amount of Chaos runes and as many as 5 Soul runes at a time.

Here is a full list of possible drops:

- Nothing (infrequent, but almost unnoticeable if you're not stopping after every kill to pick up loot)

- 20-80 Coins (not many, but worth picking up since you'll probably be alchemising for coins anyway)

- 20-40 Mind runes (usually in the 20s)

- 10-20 Cosmic runes (usually in the low to mid-teens)

- 10-20 Chaos runes (usually in the low teens)

- 1-5 Soul runes (usually one or two)

- Steel platebody

- Steel platelegs

- Steel full helm

- Nature talisman (can be turned in at Mobilising Armies if it doesn't sell on the G.E.)

- Uncut gems (most commonly sapphires, but diamonds are possible)

- Tooth half of a key or Loop half of a key

- Rune javelins

- Rune spear

- Dragon spear

- Shield left half

- Spirit shield (one dropped on my second ever trip!)[/hide]

[hide=Dangers]There isn't much danger in fighting Ghostly Warriors. Their max hit is only 5 and players with high defence, good armour, and good healing techniques can stay indefinitely. Most of the danger is associated with actually getting to the portal. Because they reside inside the spiritual realm, Jennica's ring is needed, as is a trip into the deepest parts of the wilderness. Accessing the spiritual realm is considered "teleporting", so players that get teleblocked by a revenant may meet an untimely doom while carrying valuable weapons and armour that are intended to extend a stay at the hut. If using a PvP world, the route is a favourite place for Pkers.[/hide]

[hide=How to get there]To get to the Ghostly warrior's spot in the spiritual realm, a player must wear and operate Jennica's ring when standing on a (visible) portal. You can only get the ring by completing the Spirit of Summer quest. If you've lost your ring, it can be reclaimed by visiting the farm and searching the ground near the quest start.

Once you have the ring, you need to get to the 'Axe Hut' in the high level wilderness area between the Deserted Keep and the Scorpion Pit. Crossing the entire wilderness south to north just to get to that one little place is unnecessary. It invites possible attacks from dangerous revenants or in the case of PvP worlds, Pkers, so it's not worth discussing any manner of travel except one that is free to any member - wilderness teleport levers.

At the time of the creation of this guide, Jagex had recently added a wilderness teleport lever to southern Edgeville. Previously, only one lever existed - one at the wall separating West and East Ardougne. That lever is not nearly as close to a bank as the one south of Edgeville. It is located just east of the portal that takes players to the Soul Wars minigame.

edgevillelever.png

Once the lever is pulled, the player will teleport to the Deserted Keep in the high level wilderness. Players should be ready to immediately pull the lever again once arriving, because this method of travel is at the end of a revenant patrol. Fortunately, a player that is paying attention can pull the lever at the Deserted Keep before being hit by a teleblock spell from a revenant. That will simply land the player safely in West Ardougne. Providing the player has already outfitted in Edgeville and doesn't need to revisit a bank, all that would be needed would be "world-hopping" and trying the lever in West Ardougne until a "revenant-less" Deserted Keep is found. Revenants are ALWAYS the most dangerous aspect of the journey in a non-PvP world, while PKers are ALWAYS the most dangerous aspect of PvP wilderness. In fact, further discussing PvP worlds is unnecessary, because there is no benefit from using this guide in any PvP world.

Once a player feels that the immediate area surrounding the Deserted Keep is safe, only a short (but again, dangerous) distance is needed to go in order to once again reach grounds that are completely safe from revenant attack. First and foremost, players need a slashing weapon to break through a spider's web. Remember, revenants can walk right through things like doors (and the web, even if it's not broken), but you will need a slashing weapon in order to pass unless it's already been cut by another player. If you're trapped on the outside trying to get back or stuck inside and teleblocked, you'll regret not having something as simple as a knife to cut your way back to the Deserted Keep.

wildernessroutetoaxehut.png

After passing that web obstacle, a short run east and up the slope will bring the player to the small enclosure known as the 'Axe Hut' where level 42 Magic axes are hovering inside. Instead of picking the lock on the door now, the player should stand in the middle of the white, glowing disk on the ground to the south of the hut and 'operate' Jennica's ring while worn. The player will then be taken to the spiritual realm and see Ghostly warriors where the axes were previously. They will be aggressive for approximately 15 minutes once the player uses the lockpick on the door and enters. The single most important aspect of being in the spiritual realm and not the wilderness is that teleporting to any location is allowed, assuming the player has the means through runes, teleport tablet, or special teleport item. It should be once again noted that players who have been teleblocked either by another player or a revenant will not be able to access the spiritual realm and the safety that it provides.

Because the Ghostly warriors only roam inside the hut, players can use the exterior grounds as a place to heal, alchemise drops, or rest, provided they have not dropped their lockpick upon entering. A lockpick is required to enter the hut each time the player desires to fight the monsters and collect the drops.[/hide]

[hide=Setting up for the trip]There are many different ways to prepare for the journey. First, good weapons and armour are a plus, especially if the player is planning on staying for an extended period of time. The only two necessities for fighting the monsters are Jennica's ring to access the spiritual realm and a lockpick to access the hut (along with a skill level of 42 Thieving, of course). Any other item can be a matter of preference, but I have found that slashing weapons like the Abyssal whip provide two functions. First, it's a method of getting past the Deserted Keep's web obstacle and second, the Ghostly warriors seem susceptible to slashing attacks. Wearing things that boost such an attack would be best, but the Salve amulet or Salve amulet(e) for players who have completed the Haunted Mine and Tarn's Diary quest and mini-quest, respectively, can also help players get quicker kills. In the case of players who wish to "camp out" at the area for an extended period of time, a good defence is a good offence, since after a relatively short amount of time, the Ghostly warriors will become unaggressive. For players wishing only to stay until gathering a full inventory, an Amulet of glory or the like would certainly be acceptable. Some players may feel more comfortable taking more than just a couple of food items, but expensive food isn't necessary. Food can be eaten if inventory space is needed, so taking up more space with cheaper food is a better idea than trying to conserve that space with, say, monkfish or sharks.

Before heading to the wilderness teleport lever, it's a good idea to do a 'spot-check' of a player's inventory and person. Here is an example of an inventory for a player that might not be planning on staying more than one hour.

ghostlywarriorsetup.png

You will notice in my inventory that I've brought some food. Since I'm not going to be staying long, I simply want to make sure I can last the initial attacks. Since I can fish for my own monkfish, I'm not as concerned with wasting them if I run out of space. The food also serves the purpose of getting me through an emergency encounter with a revenant. I might have also brought some combat potions or mixes (Strength, Attack, Defence, Super Strength, Super Attack, Super Defence, Combat or the extreme potions available to expert Herblore practitioners). Notice the lockpick in the inventory. You cannot access the hut without it no matter what your level in Thieving might be! I also have space for coins that might be dropped or gained by high alchemising the steel item drops with the runes I've brought along. You'll also see that Jennica's ring is being worn, but there is a Ring of wealth to switch to once in the spiritual realm.

Alternatively, players may choose to try Range and Magic attacks on these creatures, but doing so will cut down on the volume of drops that could be gained by a player with higher combat levels and players that care less about the drops and more about the melee skill experience. These creatures are easily killed without much difficulty by even mid-level combatants (and for the first fifteen minutes, without paying much attention to the battles since they are aggressive). It will not take long for a player to fill their inventory with steel items, then after alchemising them, fill them again and again, with uncut gems taking up the remainder of the space.

ghostlywarriorspoils.png

In this example, you'll notice first the number of coins, certainly not all from drops. I am one of those people that doesn't throw away any drops. I even bury regular bones when fighting beasts, but these creatures do not drop bones. That makes killing large numbers of them even quicker for a player like me. I did save the gems and the nature talismans the vials from the Combat mixes I used and the lockpick. I could have easily killed a few more Ghostly warriors until earning more gems by dropping the vials and the lockpick, though once you do drop the latter, you must be careful not to click on the doors of the hut, because once you exit without a lockpick, you have no way of re-entering. As you'll notice, this trip earned me a half key drop. That half key might instead be a few Rune javelins or another more rare item, but usually, if you stay so long as to alchemise all the steel armour drops and keep everything else, you will probably have at least one of those rare items, which could be something as unique as a Spirit shield.[/hide]

[hide=Additional tips]These monsters do not hit players with good defensive precautions often enough to be considered dangerous, not to mention the fact that simply walking out the door of the spiritual realm's hut will render you immune to attack. Players can even log out inside or outside the hut in the spiritual realm and then log back in later, or simply "rest" to regain run energy and by not taking part in combat, hitpoints. I would NEVER recommend attempting to travel to the Ghostly warriors without full prayer points, but not because you would ever need to use prayer or curses on the monsters themselves, defensive or otherwise. Prayer is ONLY recommended for surviving a possible revenant encounter in the wilderness.

ghostlywarriorsalternat.png

Because these monsters don't pose serious threats to those who prepare moderately, bringing along a healing familiar is not only not recommended (as overkill), but simply a waste of space and Summoning points. Instead, players would find it much easier to wear Guthan's armour and weaponry and constantly heal on the Ghostly warriors, or as in my case, the Enhanced version of Excalibur (an ancillary reward from completing the Seer's Village Achievement Diary). A player might also forgo alchemising anything but Steel platebodies, dropping anything that isn't rare, or using the Explorer's ring 3 as a method of low alchemising some additional items once runes run out or some of the lesser Steel drops as well as to use it to teleport out of the area once goals have been accomplished. Players could also bring along a chisel to cut the uncut gems twice - once into cut gems, then again into (stackable) gem tips for bolts that may or may not be used, sold, or dropped later. Because most of the drops can be alchemised or stacked, staying with this manner of gear could conceivably get a player to 99 in every single melee skill without leaving!

It's possible for players to bank at the Mage Arena in the deep wilderness, but doing so requires a longer time in the deep wilderness where the player will be vulnerable to attack by revenants Players making more frequent banking trips might find wearing an Amulet of glory instead of a Salve amulet would allow quicker trips back to Edgeville to heal, bank, and re-outfit than would a player using Jennica's ring to teleport back to the wilderness, running west past the Deserted Keep (since pulling that lever would now bring players to West Ardougne instead of Edgeville), cutting webs, and banking in the Mage Arena underground. Doing so, would allow selling of the runes to the rune store located there, but there are much better ways to make use of the large number of runes, including selling them on the G.E. or using as commodities in the Mobilising Armies minigame.[/hide]

This guide is not intended to encompass every single method, tip, or trick associated with fighting Ghostly warriors, but because of the runes output, potential experience gains, and ease of attacking, it is a vastly overlooked training monster.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome guide or should I say guide to be :) I like your layout. Thanks for the inventory and armor setups.

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

You are very welcome! It needs a little work (not much, but it does need a little editing here and there) before I think it's worthy of the AoW.

I'm always open to suggestions...

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

• 11 months later...

The pictures aren't showing for me. Is that a fault on my side or haven't you put any up?

Additionaly, instead of cutting the gems (especially diamonds), you could take a Gem Bag and use it to store 100 uncut gems.

A possible mage setup could be: Void Mace (or any other staff capable of auto-casting Crumble Undead) with Splitbark Armour. Splitbark gives reasonable defensive bonuses. With a high enough magic level and defense level magic could also be used.

Still, overall a good guide.

count_civie.png

Level 99's

[hide]Mining level 99 achieved November 2010

Smithing level 99 achieved February 2011

Fishing level 99 achieved April 2011

Cooking level 99 achieved May 2011[/hide]

Goals

[hide]count_civie.png

count_civie.png[/hide]

Drops:

Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

11.jpg

A few pointers I think are worth adding:

1) The Gem bag gotten by Dungeoneering is a useful way to keep gems in (200 in 1 inventory slot). Prevents the waste of room.

2) An enhanced excalibur is a great way to keep your health/defence up all the time. Worth taking as a special weapon.

3) Combat potions are a cheap and great way to speed up your killing. Supersets are also worth taking, but if you find these to expensive, combat potions are the way to go :D

4) Bunyip familiar is a great way for people with low defence to keep their health up. Also it might be worth bringing a magpie or 2. They yield a nice amount of jewelry while you kill the warriors. Extra cash per hour!

A nice guide and indeed an overlooked monster. Great for mid-levels to train on.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

I agree with the above posters, and would like to add that your bodies of text are of a very good size. I vastly prefer a decent read to a "whip, rdef+pl8+leg, fury, d boot, neit and kill" style of guide.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

ive been waiting for someone to put out a guide for these i was thinking of doing it myself but now i dont need too. some things for improvement,

- running in and out of the hut and spirit realm to keep them agressive giving you more kills and hour.

- bringing void melle / torso and other armour for higher hits and faster kills.

- pics of finished runs loot i personaly have gotten 500k+ in a run

overal its going along nicely, get your pictures staightened out and itl be a good guide keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

p.s. move it into general guides this is done by pushing report and saying my guide is finished can you move it into general guides for me ty.

"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."

Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

G%20I%20Jackass.png

G_I_Jackass.png