Saving jpgs w/o much quality loss in PS and GIMP

dsavi

Repost of navyplaya's (And partially mine) guide to saving as .jpg without quality loss, since the other one is... Lost to the rollback. This guide turned out to be surprisingly useful, I linked people to it countless times.

navyplaya:

Posted this a while ago, thought I'd post it again to help some people out.

Easy technique but not very many people know about this.

Lowering file size without drastically lowering quality

Using Photoshop

(this tut assumes you know the very basics of photoshop)

1.Open the file into photoshop

I'm going to use this sig that I made for Booduz (its 51k)

booduz.jpg

2. Now go to File> Save for Web and it will bring up this box:

saveforwebwindow.jpg

3. Now extend the quality box and move the slider bar (highlighted in red) until the file size (highlighted in green) suits your taste:

sliderbar2.jpg

3.b. Or instead of adjusting the file size by the quality bar, you can click on the arrow (highlighted in yellow) and click 'Optimize to File Size', you can then set the file size you want the image to be:

optimizetofile.jpg

4. Continue saving, by clicking save and naming your file.

5. That's it, you're done, and yes it was THAT easy!

Finished Product:

Original (51k): Reduced file: (29k)

booduz.jpg29k.jpg

There was practically no quality loss.

And it can go even lower that that with barely any quality loss, here the sig is at 20kb:

20k.jpg

Here's another example that i resized for bam:

Original

manipuc5.png

(30kb)

bam5.jpg

(14kb!!)

bam3.jpg

Lowering file size without drastically lowering quality using The GNU Image Manipulation program (The GIMP)

dsavi_x4: (Salvaged from a Google cache)

First thing you do is just save it as jpeg by adding .jpg as the file extension. Then some export as JPEG window comes up. Press the button that says 'Export', and this will come up:

tutorial1ie4.png

Looks like the Photoshop one in a lot of ways, doesn't it? Well, it's pretty much the same idea. Let me tell you, you don't find this in MS paint. Very Happy

Change the highlighted settings to how they are in the picture after expanding 'Advanced options'. These settings don't make any visible change to the image. Oh, you might also want to check the box that says 'Show preview in image window'. This not only brings up a window with a picture that shows what your picture will look like with the settings you have, but shows you how much space your picture will take up. (Highlighted) Next adjust the quality bar until the size looks good. (Note that it's best to have it under 40kb for a forum.tip.it signature-

NOT equal to 40kb- because forum.tip.it won't accept 40.01kb. And you can't see the difference between that and 40.0kb in the save options window.)

That's about it for the GIMP version. Here are two examples; my own former signature.

(Original @ about 110 something kb)

frostenergypu6.png

28 point something kb:

frostenergyaq0.jpg

14.1 kb :shock:

frostenergy1mn8.jpg

And the quality loss is so little that there is only a 2kb difference in PNG format.

I don't know about you, but even when they're that close, I can't tell the difference. If you don't believe me about the size- check yourself, right click on the images and press properties. I don't know about you people, but I certainly don't. *Checks size*

Oh, the wonders of modern technology...

Could some mod add this to the list of user-made tutorials?

Just in case, I'm going to save this to a .txt file...

C2b6gs7.png

its still referncable

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=702160 (had it loaded before forums went down.. ) so.. a forum admin can fix it if it needs to be fixed

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

Shall I submit a guide for Paint.Net?

please.. and make sure you show how to get the most out of a png file with paint.net :)

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

Well to be honest it's easier to save as .jpg format and tinker with the quality to what you want.

JPG = losing information no matter what... png = information stays the same(more), just new ways to compress or do things without real loss

its the format you want things in... jpg stinks

mementh.jpeg

Well to be honest it's easier to save as .jpg format and tinker with the quality to what you want.

JPG = losing information no matter what... png = information stays the same(more), just new ways to compress or do things without real loss

No, no, no. Pixels are the only kind of graphics that you should never save as jpg, but for other works, especially larger pieces, the file size would be way too large is you saved them as a png.

OT: Like I said on the old topic, really nice and helpful guide. :thumbsup:

penguin.gif

pixel avvy by me deviantART

You obviously didn't read the guide.

I'd love to see one for Paint.net! After that we'll have covered nearly everything. Just Paintshop Pro is left.

C2b6gs7.png