The jpg and the png.

Varda

This has really been annoying me for some time now.

"Save as png, not jpg!" everywhere, not counted at anyone.

PNG is for pixels, I have to agree with that, to keep the quality. Yes, for transparency too, but it's not the point.

Png do take some space, so don't use it for brushed sigs, or anything like that.

JPG, use it for brushed sigs, whatever sigs, but not on pixel sigs, or sigs that pixels, such as sprite. Yes, I know every colour, brush stroke etc on a sig is a pixel, but you get my point.

c8df94ed.png

At 10 quality in Photoshop, I had to go a bit high, to not to kill the red colour.

437f32aa.png

All the same drawing, just different file sizes, the waterfall.jpg and waterfall3.jpg is your best bet, just go for the png for your sprite/pixel sigs, jpg for the rest. So long you know how to compress it.

Eww mac :P. But yeah, ages ago I once said that the filetypes didn't look any different in a sig and someone made a thread showing the differences. Not sure who it was... but in your face!

:thumbup:

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

People get this idea that you must never ever save anything in jpg because Paint automatically saves its jpg's on a very low quality, leaving loads of very visible artifacts.

Truth is, jpg is fine for pixels if you save it via something like Photoshop, where you can choose 100% quality. It's no different from png, and it's a much lower filesize, due to how the algorithms work. You can save it at 100% and it will still be lower than a png.

The png format handles filesize by adding/removing colours, not compression, so it works differently, and its algorithms are different to jpg.

spacescenev24.jpg