Deja Vu - A (very) short story

Necromagus

So yeah... writer's block... two months since I added a chapter to The Dreamweb... Anyway, here's another short scribble. Only 400 words but better than most of the dribble I've produced the last few weeks...

---

Deja Vu

"Welcome to Hellfire Club." The scarlet lettering on the black cardboard is barely readable in the dim light. I strike off a match and bring it up to the cigarette. The paper surrounding the tightly packed tobacco flares and the smoke fills my throat and nostrils and for just a moment I'm with Kimberly again and I can smell her sweat, taste her lipstick and feel her fingernails as they dig into the skin of my back. For just a second the sensation lingers. Then the moment passes and I'm back in the club, staring at a glass of whiskey I can't remember ordering.

There's a redheaded siren on the stage and the mere sound of her voice makes me ant to make her a thousand promises of pleasure but Kimberly still haunts my thoughts and tolerates no competition so I force myself to look away and try to block out the music. I know that I am probably hallucinating, either from taking those pills earlier or not taking them, I can't remember, but the result seems to be the same.

I close my eyes and my mind involuntarily drags me back. I'm at another bar in another city and even though the shift is sudden I know exactly what I'm about to see. The air is thick with angeldust. The music is slow and electronic, resonating in my ears like the thundering heartbeat of some great beast.

The bar is nearly empty, everybody has flocked to the dance floor except for me... and Kimberly. I must have been the only one to notice her. She is drinking water. Nearly every intoxicant known to man is available in the building but she is drinking water. She looks lost, confused, but there is an aura of confidence about her. She is ready for whatever the world might throw at her. The red plaid skirt that just barely reaches down to her knees is only slightly less revealing than the tight white blouse she is wearing. With a will of their own my feet shift and start walking towards her and she looks in my direction and the glint in her dark eyes tells me that I am exactly what she is looking for. Three steps. Two steps. One. I exhale. The white smoke flares out of my nostrils. I'm back, staring at the matchbook.

"Welcome to Hellfire Club."

Welcome to hell.

I think there were a number of Marv references in there. Either that or it's a huge coincidence. I quite liked the concept on this one. Pretty short and maybe could have gone on longer to give the reader some idea of what's going on.

I think this is still a great piece of writing though; correlating with everything else I've ever read of yours.

intresting, you always manage to make your stories seem so realistic.

When are you gonna continue dreamweb?

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42