Photoshop FAQ

Metroid

I got a idea to make this, and hopefully it will help you in at least one area of designing. Didn't know what else to name this topic besides maybe Photoshop Tutorial.. which is not really what this is.

:: Map of Thread ::

•  

[*:184qhom6]1. Making a new file

[*:184qhom6]2. Adding a simple Border

[*:184qhom6]3. Saving/Loading Brushes

[*:184qhom6]4. Saving/Adding fonts

[*:184qhom6]5. Adding Text

[*:184qhom6]6. Depth

[*:184qhom6]7. Lighting

[*:184qhom6]8. Blending

[*:184qhom6]9. Saving for Web

[*:184qhom6]10. Hosting

[*:184qhom6]11. Finishing

[*:184qhom6]12.
FAQ

Hit ctrl+F in your browser and type in any of the names above to go right to that section.

.:: 1. Making a proper new document

Maybe you're wondering how to start making a sig, or how do get the size right?

I will show you in this part of the tutorial.

First go to "File>New..." In Photoshop and a window will pop up.

Here is a image of what you should and shouldn't have:

2dhsjkm.jpg

Once you have all the settings right, it will save them so you won't have to change them again. Just pick a size and click "OK".

.:: 2. Adding a Simple border

Don't know how to add a border yet without manually pixeling one?

Well I am about to show you how. :)

Once you've finished your sig it's best you add a border then, but you can always add one ahead of time and leave that layer on the top. (I will explain layers later)

When you've made your filesize/finished your sig select the Rectangular Marquee Tool 2psm2vb.jpg Now, hit Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select the entire image. Then right click and select "Stroke..." and use these options:

2z4hiu0.jpg

And that's it!

.:: 3. Saving/Loading Brushes

.com/y9ryka]Click here to go to the tutorial for Saving/Loading Brushes (images too big to post here)

Yes, I made that tutorial also. But it's best if I host it on a full screen webpage. :)

.:: 4. Saving/Adding fonts

There are many places to download fonts. But I think http://dafont.com is best. When you find a font you like download it to your desktop.

Once it's done use a program like WinZIP to unzip the files. Then click on your Start menu and go to "Run..." type in "fonts" and hit "OK".

Drag and drop your .ttf files from the folder you extracted to the "fonts" folder you just opened.

You can now use the fonts in Photoshop, that you just dragged and dropped. :)

.:: 5. Adding Text

To add text your firstly select the Text tool 2ilesqw.jpg

Now drag from the top left of where you want the text, to the bottom right of where you think the text will stop. Example:

2n6utlj.jpg

2mceexw.gif

.:: 6. Depth

Depth is very important in sigs, if there is no depth your image is obviously flat-looking. But sometimes, not having depth is better than having depth.

1. First way to give the illusion of depth is to go to Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast and add contrast/brightness to the image. This can help, but sometimes hurt. Use your best judgement when adjusting the brightness/contrast, don't just add brightness/contrast for all your sigs just because it can help the depth, because sometimes it can ruin the lighting.

2. Second way is blurring, blur darker parts of your sigs, and keep the lighter areas sharp. This creates the illusion of depth, and if used right can help the lighting alot.

3. Third and last way of giving depth to a sig is to add saturation to the background layers. Hit Ctrl + U in photoshop and move the saturation slider to the left until it is at about -10 or -20. The reason why this works is because the viewers eye is more attracted to the brighter foreground. This creates the sense of depth.

.:: 7. Lighting

Click here to go to my simple lighting tutorial.

But is this all there is to it, one lighting layer and you're done? Of course not. If you want to create good depth and lighting at the same time, darken the areas that are far away from the light source. Or darken the areas that you want to give depth to. And since adding depth includes blurring darker areas, you'll create depth AND good lighting.

Bad lighting (lens flare):

2nrh4as.jpg

435877k.jpg

Why is this bad? Because it's too bright, and centered on one area rather than effecting the entire sig.

Good lighting:

2qm2n8w.jpg

Lens Flares are also a good way to give good lighting effects, but it is extremely hard to make lens flares look good. I personally have only pulled of a good lens flare in a sig once. Other times it was just better to use manual lighting effects. Lighting can be very complicated, and takes a while to get good at. Lighting in my opinion is the most important in a sig.

.:: 8. Blending

Blending your stocks into the background is a must, you can't just add a stock and hope it blends itself. There are many ways to blend sigs.

1. Reducing opacity of the stock and using a single color. This will blend the stock with the background, but it will reduce you to one color. Which is not good, you need variety of colors to make a good sig.

2. Brushing/Adding C4Ds over the stock. This is probably the best way to blend your stocks into the background/foreground. Just don't cover your images up too much, or you're just cluttering up the sig.

Examples of this style:

2epls3s.jpg

2n8ph10.jpg

these sigs were given to me to use as examples

3. Erasing edges

You can make a outline of your stock with the lasso tool and feather it to about 10 pixels, then right click inside the selection, and select "Invert". Then erase the selection area at about 40% opacity. What this does is erase the edges of your stock partially to make them blend perfectly with the bg (on the edges at least) This is a more advanced way to blend, but is not as good as #2.

These are the main ways of blending stocks into the background. There are many more, but for now I will only mention those three.

.:: 9. Saving for Web

Time for more pictures! =P

Now that you're done with your sig you might want to 'current' it (add it to your signature). If so it must be below 30kb. To achieve this easily with no noticable quality reduction. Go to File>Save for Web

Click here to see all the specifics.

You can also hit the triangle button next to the "[unnamed]" text and select "Optimize to File Size..." type in your desired file size and it will get as close as it can get to it. After you've made the size <30kb you can save it on your desktop. :)

.:: 10. Hosting

There are many image hosts, but I prefer http://imageshack.us if you want, but it's slower and sometimes reduces the quality after upload.

When you've decided click "browse..." then select your image (which will be on your desktop). And click "Upload". You've now hosted a image. ::'

.:: 11. Finishing

Well I've told you pretty much every important thing there is to do far as making a all around good sig. I hope you've learned at least a little. :)

If you have any suggestions for this thread, or need help feel free to PM me.

Thanks for reading!

-~Metroid

Protect the Light...

.:: FAQ

Please remember you can post any questions you want here.

When I/someone else answers them they will be added to this post.

Q: How do I add a inner border like in this sig? (click)

A: Hit ctrl+A, then right click and select Stroke, use these settings:

Click

Then add a second stroke with these settings:

Click

from k4d4

Q: How do you get rid of the background in renders?

A: You have to use the magic wand tool to get rid of the background on a stock/render.

OR if the background is black/dark, you can set it the layer to lighten and it will remove the black/dark areas. If the background is bright/light you can set the layer to darken to remove the background.

This is usually used for C4Ds and doesn't work very well with stocks, but you can give it a shot if you want.

Go to http://planetrenders.com and download some renders there, they're all cut aswell. :)

Q: How do you 'splatter' scan lines like in this sig? (Click)

A: (Skip steps 1-5 if you already have a 3x3 scan line pattern)

Creating The Scan Line Pattern:

1. Create a new PSD 3x3 pixels in size with no bg (Click)

2. Zoom in as far as you can (%3200) and select a 1px hard white pencil tool (Click)

3. Draw 3 white dots diagonally across your canvas from top left, to bottom right (Click)

4. Then go to Edit > Define Pattern... (Click)

5. Create its name and click 'OK'

Splattering The Scan Lines

6. Go to your signature and create a new layer called 'Scan Lines'

7. Click on the paint bucket tool and select your scan line pattern on normal

8. Fill layer 'Scan Lines' with your pattern and set the layer on 'Multiply' (Click)

9. Then Select any brush whose shape you would like to appear in scan lines and set the Color to black, Mode to screen, Opacity to %100, and Flow to %100 (Click)

10. Lastly, be sure the layer 'Scan Lines' is selected and click anywhere on your signature to have your scan lines show through in the shape of your brush

from k4d4

Q: Photoshop seems im stuck in gray scale.

I'll choose a color and then it will just switch to the gray version of it.

How can i fix this?

A: Go to Image>Mode>Then select RGB Color

It should work fine now. :)

Protect the Light...

Very nice met

The hard work is appreciated and i think this'll help lots of people.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

sorasig3sj9.jpg

---

Do not ask God for an easy life. Ask him for the strength to endure a difficult one.

Pansy: a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man. (Oxford English Dictionary)

zezimatalkingzp0.png

Very nice. I've read most of it. Plan on reading the rest a bit later.

Some very helpful information in it.

I believe it should be a sticky.

Met, are you stil taking requests? :wink:

sorasig3sj9.jpg

---

Do not ask God for an easy life. Ask him for the strength to endure a difficult one.

Pansy: a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man. (Oxford English Dictionary)

zezimatalkingzp0.png

Nice job on a starters tutorial Metroid :).

If I wern't so lazy I'd make a small guide like this explaining what each button does. If I have free time when my PC comes I will.

Thanks muchly for this, Metroid. :D Must try it out sometime, I'm terrible with Photoshop and I've been wanting to use it for ages. :P

Good job. ^^

Faelenof.jpeg

Pixel Artist - Former Player Mod - Former Tip.It Mod

Not taking sig requests - sorry!

Nice job on a starters tutorial Metroid :).

If I wern't so lazy I'd make a small guide like this explaining what each button does. If I have free time when my PC comes I will.

I look forward to seeing that. :)

Thanks muchly for this, Metroid. :D Must try it out sometime, I'm terrible with Photoshop and I've been wanting to use it for ages. :P

Good job. ^^

Np.. and thanks. lol :P :)

Protect the Light...

On a new layer, I manually made a white inner border after making the black border. (Zoomed in with the zoom tool, and used the 1 pixel pencil tool)

Then I set the layer style to overlay. :)

43mpq3a.jpg

Protect the Light...

You have to use the magic wand tool to get rid of the background on a stock/render.

OR if the background is black/dark (it might work with white too), you can set it the layer to lighten and it will remove the black/dark areas.

This is usually used for C4Ds and doesn't work very well with stocks, but you can give it a shot if you want.

Go to http://planetrenders.net and download some renders there, they're all cut aswell. :)

Protect the Light...