Trouble Brewing: Your Guide to 100+ POE a game

MikelP

Note this is my first guide so don't flame too much, and constructive critism is welcome. I'm on a fairly large screen and have broadband so if Pictures are too large or it is taking too long to load please post and I will work to reduce the size

In the waiting room for this minigame I have seen many people complaining that they have only gotten 40 Pieces of Eight a game and I tell you it is easy to get 100+. So if you want some snazzy Naval Clothes, a Flag or something to help your brewing this is the game for you.

Contents:

1: Getting there and Suggested Equipment

2: The Jobs

3: Getting Your Pieces of Eight

4: The Rewards

1: Getting there and Suggested Equipment

You will need to of completed the quest "Cabin Fever" to get to Mos Le'Harmless and you will need a Cooking level of 40. World 104 is the unofficial world so I wouldn't bother with any other unless you have a group of 6 or more and want a private game

To get to trouble brewing you will need to take Bill's Ship from Port Phasmatys or a charter ship and run through the jungle. Alternatively you can drink a rum that can be bought at Honest Jimmy's Store after the game to teleport right outside.

islandlocationmv3.jpg

Taken from RS KBase

As you cannot take anything in your inventory with you I suggest you take:

Helmet - None as team hat will go here

Necklace - Amulet of Monkey Speak > Glory/Games to Teleport out

Cape - Spottier Cape > Spotty Cape

Top - Nothing/Something Lightweight

Trousers - Nothing/Something Light Weight

Gloves - Penance (correct name please if it's wrong) > None

Boots - Boots of Lightness > None

Ring - Ring of Dueling > None

Weapon - Your best axe

Shield - None

suggestedequipmentlo4.jpg

There is a bank deposit booth right outside to store winnings and deposit anything extra you may of bought with you

This Picture shows the interface of the game

*picture to come*

Note if you miss the start it will put you in half way through the game, but you will only get half the Pieces of Eight you earnt. Alternatively if you are late a place may open up to get in and you will gain all the Pieces of Eight you earnt.

Not you cannot lose this game you just make less Rum than the other team. You will always get the Pieces of Eight owed to you.

2: The Jobs

This map shows the Location of all the items in the game (note there are monkeys on all the islands not just the middle one)

mapbe4.jpg

Taken from RS KBase

Map of the Bases

bluebaseleftsidets0.jpgbluebaserightsidegv7.jpg

Picture is of Blue Base, Red Base has the same basic layout but doors, log pile and parrot is moved

Map of the Hoppers

hopperlocationsta0.jpg

This picture shows you all the minigame specific icons and what they stand for

interfaceuh9.jpg

Default Workbench stock. In a game where the other team is Sabotaging alot you will need to keep stocks of Pipes and Lumber Patches up (the other team rarely hits the bridges)

workbenchstocksvf9.jpg

The Red an Blue Flowers are needed to colour the Rum and Monkeys. It takes 3 flowers per bottle and the flowers are only available at the other base. As you can only pick 5 flowers at a time it helps to take another person as they can trade flowers to you to get a full inventory. To get the colour out you need to put it in the kettle, and drain it out with the bowls.

collectingflowersmn0.jpg

Trading for Flowers

The Bitternuts can only be collected using the Monkeys and you must first catch and colour them. First grab a bowl from the Workbench and grab 4 coloured water from the Kettle. Run to one of the Islands and catch a monkey, colour the monkey and use it with the Bitternut trees. If you have a Amulet of Monkeyspeak you can anger the monkey, tell it to be careful or not tell it anything. Angering the monkey will cause it to collect a Bitternut faster though it will always lose a fight with a monkey of the other team (unless it is also angered then 50:50 chance of winning). If you tell your monkey to be careful it will collect a Bitternut slower, but will always win a fight with a monkey from the other team (unless it has also been told to be careful then 50:50 chance of winning). While your monkey is collecting the nut grab another monkey and colour it, then send it up the tree after your first monkey is done. You can only have 2 nuts and 2 monkeys at any one time so grab another 2 monkeys and colour them for the next time round.

gettingnutswy1.jpg

Talking to your monkeys

To get Scrapey bark you will need an axe and a knife from the Workbench. Go to a tree and cut down how ever many logs you want. Use the knife on your logs to get bark when you have enough/waiting for tree to respawn. Note you can get diseased while scraping bark off, but it should be too much of a problem if your levels are high enough.

gettingbarkqm4.jpg

Collecting your bark

To get Grubs you will need to grab lots of Raw Rat Meat from the Workbench. Go to a Mound and use your meat on the mound. You will either get some Grubs or a Swarm will attack you. Keep using the meat on the Mound until it is exhausted, then wait for it to respawn or run to another mound. If you get a Swarn you cannot get any more Grubs until it dissapears. I find this job works well with collecting some bark.

meatvn0.jpg

Collecting Grubs

To get water grab some buckets from the Workbench and take them to the pump. Use the bucket on the pump until all your buckets are full

gettingwaterjx6.jpg

At the Pump

Finally the last job is to repair/keep the Boilers going. To start the boilers go to the workbench and grab a Tinderbox, then head over to the Boilers and get as many logs as you can. Put one log in each boiler and use the tinderbox on it then fill up the boiler with a third of your logs. Each boiler needs a minimum of 3 logs to work and can take up to 10 logs each. When the boiler is started drop your tinderbox and go cut jungle trees for logs. Keep the boilers full and use surplus logs on the longer workbench to make repair parts. To repair you will need a few buckets of water and some spare parts. When an enemy sabotuer come in and sets something on fire immediately use a bucket of water on it to put it out and use the appropriate repair piece. Pipe for the pipes between boilers and pump, Lumber Patches for the hoppers, and Bridge pieces for the Bridges. If you delay in putting the fire out it will do more damage and you will need up to 3 repair pieces to fix it rather than the one.

feedingtheboilersdt1.jpgmakingspareshq1.jpg

Feeding the Boilers and Making Spare Parts

I won't mention Sabotaging as it is a terrible way to get Pieces of Eight and doesn't help to make any Rum. I have had games where no one Sabotaged and both teams got over 21 Rum, compared to most games where people do Sabotage and we got 10-15 Rum

Once you have your ingredients you will need to put them in the appropriate hoppers (picture shown above). When a bottle is made one person will need to put it in it's crate or it will smash on the floor. To do so simply click on the Rum when it comes out

3: Getting Your Pieces of Eight

After many games I have found this method to be the best way of getting your Pieces of Eight and Bonus Experience.

1: Go to the workbench and grab and inventory worth of buckets.

2: Run to the pump and fill all your buckets

3: Deposit all your water in the appropriate hopper

4: Repeat 2 and 3 two more times

5: Drop all your buckets and go and do a quick job e.g. Collect Bark and Grubs.

You should now have guarenteed your 100 self earnt Pieces of Eight and Bonus Experience. Roughly 8-10 minutes will have passed so for the next 10-12 minute collect the more needed ingredients such as Bitternuts and Coloured Water or keep the Boilers going.

4: The Rewards

The formula of Pieces of Eight owed to you is: The 100 you made + 2 x the number of Rum Bottles your team made.

You will also get for each:

Coloured water added to hopper - 40 Cooking exp

Sweetgrub added to hopper - 40 Cooking exp

Scrapeybark added to hopper - 40 Cooking exp

Bitternut added to hopper - 80 Cooking exp

log put into the boilers - 40 Firemaking exp

flammable thing set on fire - 50 Firemaking exp

repair item crafted - 12.5 Crafting exp

successful repair - 12.5 Crafting exp

burning location put out - 50 Firemaking exp

monkey captured - 15 Agility exp

point of pressure pumped - 10 Strength exp

In addition you gain 100 Crafting Exp, 250 Cooking Exp, and 150 Firemaking Exp for every Bottle of Rum your team makes

Honest Jimmys Store and Prices

jimmysstoreep8.jpg

Naval Hats - 500 PoE

Naval Shirts - 1000 PoE

Naval Slacks - 1000 PoE

*Flags are in order left to right*

Cutthroat Flag - 2000 PoE

Guilded Smile Flag - 2000 PoE

Bronze Fist Flag - 3000 PoE

Lucky Shot Flag - 4000 PoE

Treasure Flag - 5000 PoE

Phasmatys Flag - 6000 PoE

The Stuff - 50 PoE

Rum (both kinds) - 20 PoE

The Stuff is something you add to your brewing before the hops. It greatly increases your chance of getting a mature ale

The Rum will teleport you outside the waiting rooms when drunk.

navallooksdw1.jpg

Full Black Naval

Thanks for reading my very first guide

Mikel2311

Mikel2311-Saris_night.gif

funnysigzl9.jpg

Dragon Drops: 2 x Dragon Legs, Dragon Spear

I was going to make one of these just to be anti-water loser. Great Guide though, 9/10 :thumbsup: . It's be a 10 if you add stuff about how just doing buckets of water is ineffective for PoE and experience and how if anyone's going to get water it should only be one person on the team at any given time. That's just my opinion though. :D

Cowards can't block Warriors.

pretty much the method i use although i grab 2 lumber patches with an invent of buckets because you never know if the hoppers sabotaged.if the pumps broke then usually it just needsa a pipe but lumber patches can become a little scarce.also when i go for flowersi also take atorch so i can have a go burning the pump on the way.gets me a bit more poe.

great guide anyway.

tifsdac6mc.gif

An extremely bad guide as your conclusion is all wrong. The most efficient way for maximum PoE is 'a bit' different and I shall explain why.

like you said, 100 PoE is the maximum you can 'earn' with ingredients. After that, it is all about the bottles.

First thing you do is gather EVERY ingredient. This means you should divide your team into tasks to maximize gathering speed. This will allow you to make botles very fast, meaning more botles in the entire game.

What you must do, gather ingredients all the way till around 5m before time. Make sure you have enough ingredients for 5-6 bottles around that time. If not possible, try to get enough for 4 more at 4 minutes to go.

If you have gathered enough ingredients till that time, make sure all boilers have at least 3 + nr. of minutes in logs. This will ensure the process of bottlemaking proceeds by itself for the last minutes. Just repair when needed (asap!) and pick off botles.

THEN! just go water all the way. You probaly (most likely) have gathered enough ingredients for 100 PoE already. If not, just grab an inventory full of buckets and go collecting water. For any half decent player, 1 inventory should be enough to make sure you get the full 100 PoE. Using this order allows you max bottles and still 100 PoE of yourself. This actually gives max PoE per game.

Now stop being a 'water-noob' in your guide and stop playing 'selfish' at the beginning, finding out you only made 10 botles. Use this, make 15-20 bottles per game and THEN! finish the last few PoE. Using this way, you should NEVER get less then 130 PoE. At least for me.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

wouldn't it be better to do it the other way around so you start doing ingredients and end with water noobing... this way your rum starts flowing asap this makes for far more rum because rum is only made in a very slow pace... so the last minutes of ingredient collecting are les effective because most of the ingredients wont have time to be used

• 2 weeks later...

Getting water is the worst thing you can do!

Get sweetgrubs, scarpy bark, coconuts, and coloured water; you only get 1 poE for every5 buckets of water.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

You need 18 loads of water to get your 100PoE, but only 4 load of sweetgrubs or scarpy bark, which are both nice and easy to get. Coconuts, on the other hand, are dificult to gather, and you should gather no more than 28.

I HAVE GOT 152 PoE FROM 1 ROUND GATHERING SCARPY BARK; CAN YOU CLAIM THE SAME WITH WATER!!?!?!??!

We did get an amasing 26 bottles of rum, though, which accounted for the 52 PoE.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Water is the easiest way to get PoE though, what does it matter?

If the whole team goes for water you will make 0 bottles of rum thats why.

go for water AFTEr and only AFTEr you have supplies to do so. Please don't be a water noob.

i'm also glad you didn't add too much sabotage. I really don't get why people sabotage, it gains them in absolutely no way at all, just reduces the exp given to the opposing side, is it the ultimate noob and selfish thing to do in rs? possibly.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think your guide has originality and lots of research spent on it. It presents well. 9/10.

Can you recommend the best worlds to play TB?

thanks

ssdagger

Treat all in game runescape conversations as if the person was right in front of you. Alot of people saying noob would be seeing their dentist....beleive me.

Ew. The pics that are next to each other, put them under each other. The streching out just makes it alot harder to read.

Click here for my Falador World 2 Bank/Park and Price Guide

Clicky click for Recipe for Disaster Weapons and Gloves Guide!

Proud owner of a Woodcutting Cape - Sunday, Febuary 11th, 2007

Proud owner of a Flecthing Cape - Sunday December 16th, 2007