Hi microtransactions

CharlieBrown

Microtransaction Linky

Nvm

As can be seen below in the post from Tripsis, this article had been edited.

Should be locked shortly

Leaving the link there incase anyone was wondering

Cheers

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Please don't do that Jagex. I hate that sort of thing in castleville and the like, people buying big levels instead of working for it. You get too much of that in real life already. Please let runescape remain an honest place.

IamTardis.png

For some reason that article was edited I think. It originally said:

Speaking today at the Free to Play Summit in London, Rob Smith said it was ‘not desirable’ for Jagex to charge customers for microtransactions as well as a monthly subscription to RuneScape.

And then later said they might consider it if the audience is happy with it. But the core of the article (which Jagex promoted on their Facebook saying "Look we're resisting microtransactions!") was that Jagex would resist the temptation to switch to microtransactions and would continue with their subscription model.

Also read the article title:

Runescape studio resists virtual currency temptations

[hide=Full Original Article]

RuneScape studio resists virtual currency temptations

by Rob Crossley in London

F2P Summit: Subscriptions likely to remain monetisation model; Other platforms considered

Cambridge studio Jagex will likely persist with a subscription model for its hugely successful MMO RuneScape, an executive at the company has said.

Speaking today at the Free to Play Summit in London, Rob Smith said it was ‘not desirable’ for Jagex to charge customers for microtransactions as well as a monthly subscription to RuneScape.

He theorised that a gentle introduction of item sales over time “could possibly be introduced, providing our audience is happy with it”.

In 2007, Jagex removed certain aspects of RuneScape to stamp out ‘grey market’ trading of virtual goods. A subscription to premium game features will cost users anything between £3 and £10.

Smith said the long-term aspiration for RuneScape was to extend to other platforms such as tablets. The Java technologies underpinning the game are broadly in decline, he said.

“Our plan is to try and move so we don’t specifically stick to one platform or technology,” he added.

Jagex has in the past sought to release games on consoles, though appears to have been met with resistance from the platform holders.

[/hide]

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

They don't commit one way or another to microtransactions from that small, small quote in the article. I'd say, don't overreact to this news, but don't stop building the nuclear bunkers.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Link title, OP is a troll.

Runescape studio resists virtual currency temptations

Also Jagex said years ago that RuneScape is incompatible with microtransactions, but their future MMOs may be built with the model in mind.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Guys please. Don't point fingers saying he's a troll or he's an idiot, etc. Maybe he just didn't notice/take in the title. There's no need to get rude.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Not to validate the original "slippery-slopers" but most people have become accepting of gamecard bonuses which would have more than likely been the "first step" to a "gentle introduction"...

That said, you should change your title to something with less exaggeration. It's quite misleading and will probably lead others to believe that microtransactions are ACTUALLY here.

If anything the expansion to more platforms and partial or total abandonement of the now crutch-like Java are far more interesting to take from this.

2dgucz6.png

Oh I can see them eating dirt for doing this..but I don't think that will stop them.

This is just going to affect EVERY player in RuneScape. Whether it takes months or years (if the game even [bleep]ing exists that long, stupid Jagex), I wouldn't be able to guess.

553VriC.png?1

Locking this since the thread was created with a different idea in mind and it no longer really applies. If anyone wants to create a new thread to talk about a different aspect of microtransactions (speculating, etc.), you're welcome to.

Posted Image