Tip.It Times - 2nd June 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I think Jagex didn't do enough with production skills in general, which is a shame really. And the fact that they never changed the levels required for smithing was bizarre. Having a level 99 requirement to smith a rune platebody was all well and good when rune platebodies were the best melee armour - not so much now. Their reluctance to make that change (irony for you) has left the smithing skill rather stagnant.

As for the summer article, normally I'd agree, although I decided to quit RS just in time for summer this year. :P Last time I 'quit' RS was for around 4 years. Not sure whether I'll come back this time.

Asmodean <3

Re: Forging Ahead:

Personally, I find it odd that you need to do certain quests to wear a Rune Platebody and wield a dragon square shield, but you don’t need to do any quests to wear some of the better armours available out there. :huh:

I wrote an article for TIP IT TIMES some time ago in which I expressed at that time about what, I felt, was a clearly lost opportunity to re-vamp mining and smithing (among other skills), when they chose to introduce Dungeoneering as a stand-alone skill. Right there is an entire scale of new metals to be obtained and forged.

Even now, I’d highly doubt that it’d take much to integrate these metals into the main game. All you’d need is to set up some resource dungeons and have at it …

nyuseg.png

Ha, never thought about just how much Smithing does need an update. I'd be hesitant of connecting the levels to the items as opposed to the ores, though, as that means at level 1, you could create both the weakest dagger and the strongest dagger. I think there'd be some balancing issues there. In the end, I think it might just end up being that all the levels need lowered, with Runite occurring in the 60s.

For Mining, the same drop might be best with new ores filling the gaps up to 95 again. These ores could have special purposes. Perhaps they are needed to repair armor, and you need higher ore for the better armor?

alazsig.png

And first ofc that ore needs to be smelted into a bar ;)

And mind you; I never said anything about lowering the mining requirement, so Rune would still remain just as rare (and noone spends his rune on making daggers, do they?)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I wrote an article for TIP IT TIMES some time ago in which I expressed at that time about what, I felt, was a clearly lost opportunity to re-vamp mining and smithing (among other skills), when they chose to introduce Dungeoneering as a stand-alone skill. Right there is an entire scale of new metals to be obtained and forged.

There was an articulate post on the RSOF (surprise, surprise!) some time back that more or less suggested this very idea. My experience is that if an idea kicks around long enough, Jagex eventually implements it. Some take longer than others-- perhaps you remember the petition here about reorganizing the bank interface-- and with new promised updates just on that recently, I expect a few players may grumble "too little, too late".

Even now, I’d highly doubt that it’d take much to integrate these metals into the main game. All you’d need is to set up some resource dungeons and have at it …

We know from the god emissaries lore that [spoiler=there's room for more Daemonheim resources to leak out]Moia meets Zamorak

but I think for purposes of discouraging bot abuse, they are more likely to make it accessible as an extension of Sinkholes.

The higher level metals are more difficult to work with, which is why similar items of a metal tier are higher up the scale. Making a bronze dagger would be a much different process than making a rune dagger because of the different properties of the metals.

As for working with cold metal, why do we assume the metal is cold? When does our avatar put the bar into water to cool it? Molten glass doesn't cool into lumps of glass in our banks, and by the same token, lit light sources don't burn out in our banks either. Pets don't starve, containers of water don't evaporate, etc.

My point is, nitpicking the unrealistic mechanics of one aspect of the game is kinda pointless when there are far worse offenders around. Besides, it's a game, it's not supposed to match up perfectly with reality; yes, the function of coal is overly simplified from its real world inspiration, but that's not a bad thing since including more realism in that aspect would harm the gameplay more than aid it. Combat -and by extension healing - is also overly simplified from its real world inspiration but if people are suggesting adding crippling wounds, gangrene and realistic healing times and methods to make it more like real life, then they obviously don't get how games work.

• Like 1

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.