Tip.It Times - 16th June 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

• Like 1

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

About the graphic's discussion article; I think that what Runescape needs in most places is actually more details, not less. There are a few newly updated areas like Al-Kharid that are very detail-rich. That however is, according to me, often a part of the atmosphere of that place. In Al Kharid the seemingly crowded and bustling town is supposed to be a detailed and half-chaotic town. Same thing with the wizard's tower that was also recently updated. It is supposed to be detailed, messy and with plenty of random orbs and stuff within. For me this makes the game world more real. I much more enjoy these areas than the empty-of-detail Yanille or any of the many "old" (as in not recently updated) towns. For me the many details actually allows me to go deeper into the game. It feels like RuneScape becomes more real. Instead of hindering my gameplay experience, it actually enriches it. I'm not saying that there may never be too many details. Far from. I can agree with that perhaps the EoC update brought forward too much focus on weapons and such that should perhaps be a bit more of a background. But in general I have to say that I like the many new and added details that Jagex are putting into the game.

Also, as a final note, tLoZ: OoT is awesome. MM was better though ;)

About the gods' dance competition: We really do indeed need more evil gods without Z in their name. And who was that mysterious figure :o? Can't wait to find it out!

• Like 1

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

re: Attention to Detail

I could not agree more.

I walked over to Burthorpe the other day for the first time since thay moved it to f2p and I couldnt help but notice how gaudy it was. That area is just plain old visual diarrhea.

Or, to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park

Yeah, yeah, but your graphic artists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

• Like 1

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The best area in the game is still the Underground Pass.

(which has not been updated since release)

• Like 4

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The best area in the game is still the Underground Pass.

(which has not been updated since release)

Are you serious? Because that place is just HORRIBLE. I love the elf areas, but I will never ever go down into that dungeon again as *beep*-ing ugly as it is. All that darkness and brown colours and horrible graphics and...So on. The puzzles are great, but the area itself is just horrible.

• Like 1

lGxorje.png

Think of it as abstract art. The area with walkways suspended over darkness - it works really well. The 'bad' graphics work much better for the imagination than the more fussy graphics in newer areas.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Think of it as abstract art. The area with walkways suspended over darkness - it works really well. The 'bad' graphics work much better for the imagination than the more fussy graphics in newer areas.

There's a difference between 'leaving open for imagination' and 'we didn't even try to make it look good'...I see your point though. But to me it still looks horrible. I prefer the Chaos tunnels or Taverly dungeon over Underground Pass any day.

• Like 1

lGxorje.png

Had nightmares of the Underground Pass when I was about 13. It felt as a huge desolate place, where all happiness had been lifted. The atmosphere there, I simply love it. You also get how immense the dungeon is, with all those clay (?) bridges and those half-soulless in the cages. It was the only place in RuneScape I've ever felt lost.

• Like 8

Yeah, every other dungeon can only aspire to be as atmospheric as the Underground Pass (I shat my pants in RSC when I tumbled into a spikefield and then had the creepy red text invading my chatbox). No fog effects, no snazzy graphics, no gimmicks.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Oh god I so wholeheartedly agree about the comments on Underground Pass. It for me was one of the most immersive experiences of RS I've had, and it was something I really enjoyed replaying on 07scape.

For me playing with sounds on added so much as well. I really felt when opening a door - to have it slam behind me - that I may not ever walk back through it again.. Koftik going crazy, those three paladins in the middle of nowhere, the creepy messages appearing.. That quest is a tribute to gameplay not being solely about snazzy graphics.

I think dungeoneering could have been as immersive, if we didn't frequently pop out back to the surface, where things were safe and ok again. Doing rows (I don't know if it's still called that, I did 120 back in 2010, but say f47-f60), you began to get immersed, but I think the constant resetting of your progress dungeon to dungeon kept it non-immersive.

/tangeant

Edit, on the topic of immersive games, anyone here remember fighting Nightmare on Devil May Cry 1, and pretty much the whole "Living Cave" area?

• Like 1

LgEZt.png

Edit, on the topic of immersive games, anyone here remember fighting Nightmare on Devil May Cry 1, and pretty much the whole "Living Cave" area?

I just did that last night, and that thing is well named. >_<

• Like 1

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Guest Smelly Paws

Oh god I so wholeheartedly agree about the comments on Underground Pass.

Me too. Most atmospheric quest of them all in 07.

• Like 1

I hope Jagex reads this, we need more of this kind of quests. :P

Hell, we just need more quests too.

Monkey madness counted for me as a hell of a good, atmospheric, immersive quest. How about for other people?

Maybe it's just affected by my noob euphoria of getting the at the time new dragon scimitar. (RS Trivia MM came first, then dscim was added as a reward later on...)

• Like 2

LgEZt.png

Monkey Madness, Underground Pass, Regicide - getting lost in a new big town/complex dungeon/maze-like forest in these quests added a lot of exploration which just doesn't happen in most new quests/dungeons we get.

• Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Monkey Madness, Underground Pass, Regicide - getting lost in a new big town/complex dungeon/maze-like forest in these quests added a lot of exploration which just doesn't happen in most new quests/dungeons we get.

Regicide makes my list too! I have the fondest memories of running around through that forest, killing the bunnies to cook & eat.

LgEZt.png

Branches of Darkmeyer brought back that whole immersion/exploration thing with me a little. Part of the problem was that I did it on release, so there were a ton of people around.

The only recent example was TWW. Going deeper into that dungeon, waiting anxiously to see guthix, it was priceless.

Whole heartedly agree with everything being said here about old style graphics and Underground Pass. Hell, I've even stopped playing the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time in order to play the GBA versions of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, and I have to say I much prefer the old graphics. It's not the nostalgia, it's the atmosphere.

And like people said, with the Underground Pass, the atmosphere is what makes it special and amazing.

With RS it is too much, too soon. Sure PC's are becoming more powerful, as are games consoles - but it is sometimes those old games, with no massive effects and the like that make it amazing - eg I'll take Spyro the Dragon any day, over many new HD games.

• Like 1

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

With the whole immersive gameplay, I think it'll be a bit harder to get the same feeling again in quests. Years ago, when I did Regicide, when I did the Underground Pass, when I was in the Pyramid for Icthlarin's Little Helper (you know, that path you had to find, without getting damaged heavily), we had to bring our own teleport and most of the time. You had to carry around so many other stuff for later on in the quest that a teleport was only a waste of inventory. This leads to us being carefull, because if we ran out of food, we had to crawl back out, with extreme caution, or just die. This brought a great deal of immersion and emotion into the quests. I've had been trapped in the Underground Pass for two days, for example, because I couldn't find a way out, only to be saved by some jolly Dwarves giving me stews and some rather nifty gloves.

Now, we have teleport everywhere, not just the home teleport to Lumbridge, now we can get to every major city in 15 seconds. Forgotten to bring a bit extra food to the forests of the Elves? Well, just let us get our stack of Rocktails and teleport to Ardougne bank. No more killing rabbits, no more searching after a way to cook them, as we have a full toolbelt. Everything has been made easier and has made us more distant from the game. We no longer have to find a way, Jagex added too many aids into our character panel.

• Like 3

With the whole immersive gameplay, I think it'll be a bit harder to get the same feeling again in quests. Years ago, when I did Regicide, when I did the Underground Pass, when I was in the Pyramid for Icthlarin's Little Helper (you know, that path you had to find, without getting damaged heavily), we had to bring our own teleport and most of the time. You had to carry around so many other stuff for later on in the quest that a teleport was only a waste of inventory. This leads to us being carefull, because if we ran out of food, we had to crawl back out, with extreme caution, or just die. This brought a great deal of immersion and emotion into the quests. I've had been trapped in the Underground Pass for two days, for example, because I couldn't find a way out, only to be saved by some jolly Dwarves giving me stews and some rather nifty gloves.

Now, we have teleport everywhere, not just the home teleport to Lumbridge, now we can get to every major city in 15 seconds. Forgotten to bring a bit extra food to the forests of the Elves? Well, just let us get our stack of Rocktails and teleport to Ardougne bank. No more killing rabbits, no more searching after a way to cook them, as we have a full toolbelt. Everything has been made easier and has made us more distant from the game. We no longer have to find a way, Jagex added too many aids into our character panel.

Too many aids? No. I love the challenge that those quests were (even though I still got to point out that I hate the graphics of the UP with a passion) and the elf quests are my favourite ones in the whole game. However to say that Jagex have added to many aids is wrong. At least from my point of view. Jagex have made it easier for us to travel around and given us the convenience of carrying us the tools with us, that is all true. But how does that help you when you are going to take down Nomad or any other quest boss? Or solve a difficult puzzle? With some good athmosphere and careful planning it is now easier than ever for Jagex to create great quests. Especially when the graphics of today's Runescape are way better and more advanced than the graphics of Runescape version 2006.

EDIT: I know I should have added this when I first posted this: This is my opinion and I know there's lots of you who prefer the old graphics. I prefer the modern day RS' graphics though. Just check my join date if you are unsure of how I can compare them...

lGxorje.png

Well, it's true that graphics and well-thought fights and puzzles are a great way to make a compelling story. But the addition of the toolbelt and all those teleports lessened the 'survival' aspect of quests alot. While doing Underground Pass, you had to be careful with what you'll take with you, while still having a bit of food, hoping it would be enough to kill or even reach Iban. That aspect is gone. In twenty seconds I can be from the depts of the most depressing dungeon into the Grand Exchange. It's not a bad change, more teleports and tools we can always carry, but it has a great impact on how immersive the gameplay is.

You also say that Nomad isn't easier with the toolbelt and the teleports, but imagine now that half your inventory is filled with a knife, a pickaxe, ropes, some additional questing items. You'll have a lot less food, and a great deal of people have difficulty even fighting Nomad with full supplies (well, maybe not this community at Tip.it, but almost everyone seems maxed here...).

Actually, fighting Nomad that way would be cool, but add some other stuff in it: a long venture through a dungeon with lots of puzzles and enemies. No bank or gravestone next to the bank to quickly jump back into the battle. That would be a great adventure I would have fond memories of.