Tip.It Times Presents: Letters to the Editor #16

Headnazgul

If the anonymous author happens to be reading, I like your comparison of the checkout counters to the quickchat worlds. As a completely optional experience, it is positive on a select group of players. Fine reading, though. Sorry for the occasional typo, I'll just try to proofread a bit better next time :wall:

Good one this week :thumbsup:

It exposes the truth of the benefits of the quick-chat to the pessimists :mrgreen:

5c96fbd7db.png

java2009021518224462vn5.png

PROUD Owner of Quest cape since 12/25/08 99 Attack Achieved 6/5/09

Drops: Dragon Boots x5, Dragon Chainbody x1 (Dusties) Abyssal Whip x3, Abyssal Head x1

Best single TT Reward: Saradomin Platebody + Zammy Page 3

Personal Note: Quick Chat is literally too slow for me, so I do not use it for that very reason.

@ Anonymous --- Paranoia is sometimes caused by change, and some people's fear that the worst will undoubtedly happen. I feel that it is probably understandable. However, I am glad to know there are some who aren't paranoid over it. Thanks for sending a letter in for all the rest to read. :thumbup:

@ Nerrage --- Thank you for the extreme amount of insight you've delivered with your letter also. I do have to ask, what is your opinion of maybe using small, kid-type characters for those who can't talk because they are not old enough yet? If you want an example, like those ones at "Musa Point, Karamja"... (In short, providing a way for those who can't handle the kind of questions that require a rather free ability to type in order to respond, to be able to say that they can not... And without forcing them to have to respond in such a manner.) :-k :-s

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Personal Note: Quick Chat is literally too slow for me, so I do not use it for that very reason.

@ Anonymous --- Paranoia is sometimes caused by change, and some people's fear that the worst will undoubtedly happen. I feel that it is probably understandable. However, I am glad to know there are some who aren't paranoid over it. Thanks for sending a letter in for all the rest to read. :thumbup:

@ Nerrage --- Thank you for the extreme amount of insight you've delivered with your letter also. I do have to ask, what is your opinion of maybe using small, kid-type characters for those who can't talk because they are not old enough yet? If you want an example, like those ones at "Musa Point, Karamja"... (In short, providing a way for those who can't handle the kind of questions that require a rather free ability to type in order to respond, to be able to say that they can not... And without forcing them to have to respond in such a manner.) :-k :-s

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

I have to agree that Quickchat isn't my exact choice for chatting, either. However, my opinion in the completely optional system is that it's only intended to help spread to a wider audience. Not due to Quickchat itself, but due to, rather, Quickchat-only worlds. I mean, it is very helpful to slow typists to simply hit Enter, X, and a number, however, completely rendering "Free chat," so to speak, unusable seems like some fishy business...

My opinion of the child-model characters is that it could be one of the ways to do one of the necessary elements of such a system. Obviously, changing the character model is the easiest way to identify the child player at a glance. The only oddities would be seeing a young child out chopping yews or strip-mining the mining guild, lol. While there may not be agreement by all players, especially losing the prize model of a character they've worked up, I think it would be one of the most effective ways to identify a player's age if such a system were to be implemented.

In light of that subject, it may be needed that players on Quickchat-only worlds, young or old, shouldn't be able to receive messages containing "Free chat." Say, if a non-Quickchat PM were to come to such a player, the system would need to block it, because, otherwise, the player would be in-able to respond to certain situations. I believe that there really should be no need for non-Quickchat PMs to go to Quickchat-only worlds. Take this example scenario:

Player 2 has logged in.

Player 2: Hey! What's up?

Player 1(in this case, Quickchat-only): I am training: Runecrafting.

Player 2: Oh, cool. What level are you?

Player 1: My Runecrafting level is: 53.

Player 2: Sweet, 1 lvl to laws! How much xp to 54?

As you can see, even a simple situation is rendered useless to Quickchat. So, what to do? Leave it unanswered, or logout and "Free chat?" And if the latter option is unavailable, you're sunk. Even if the former option was available, who would want to abandon the last few nat runs before they hit 54? Exactly why I think Quickchat-only worlds shouldn't have to mix with "Free chat" worlds. Although it wasn't covered in my letter, this just provides a standpoint on my opinion.

Oh, you're welcome, and thank you for enjoying the letter and providing more insight on the topic :thumbsup:.

i'm going to go and skip the entire forum of responces which is something that i never do. this might be litted with spelling msitakes. i'm not even looking at the screen right now.

imagine how the pre-teens must feel. you can't have a cell phone, bank account, see a movie, have an e-mail adress, have an AIM account, have a free sample at the department store without parental supervision, PLAY A GAME ON THE INTERNET, and also they have to worry about that weird puberty thing coming through that seems kind of weird to them. i remember the pre-teens. i remember just wanting to walk around sams club (a step up from walmart and a similarity to costco) and my dad would say ok where are you going to be? when are you coming back? do you know my cell phone number? ok we meet over there if you get lost (how the [bleep] do you get lost in a department store???) heres 5 dollars if you get hungry. no wait 10 dollars. no here 20 dollars. ok there. your going to be allright? ok good. good. remember MEET OVER THERE IF YOU GET LOST. my god. just for a 6 minute walk by myself so i wouldn't have to worry about my mom asking "do we/you want/need this?" "you mean you don't like/want this anymore?!!?" IMAGINE how patient you have to be to get through the stupid day. flippin stupid. some of us still get the ritual i mentioned before. and don't you think that that stupid v-chip gore (i think) put into our computers and cable boxes (might not be computers but it's monitored). everything from the music we listen to to the tv we watch. video games to websites. people are overprotective and the kids are too young to stand up for themselves. one might argue that if they're too young to do so then they shouldn't be able to get the privellages. well look at the american society. one word- the patriot act. "your comparing a pre-teen to a bill that is a direct result of a terrorist attack" well listen i think another 9/11 could still occur. it's not that hard. and i'm just saying that the american public has the same restrictions as a pre-teen does and personally me (15) my brothers (24 and 22) my dad (55) sister (26) and every one else i talk to agrees that anything we see or do is being controlled by the governemnt. the fcc is the biggest waist of tax dollars i've ever laid toilet paper on.

i've gotten a little off topic but you can see how it's relative. theres a way to get around everything in the world if you use the right screwdriver and have a little elbow grease. if you want an example here- limewire (30 hours of music and 5 hours of videos on my ipod thank you very much pirating), getting a new internet browser so there's no parental controlls, tip.it forums where we can get around the plausible occurrence of a limit on censorship (have you ever gone to the off-topic area? there's a topic on legalizing drugs. check it out it's a few pages long if it exists still), have your brother/sister/house resident give you the password to the browser after you give them 5 dollars, go to health class! i learned about std's in that class before i made it into middle school! from how to get it too what it does. even had a fun lil game about it. vomit. now.

so you can't tell me that an 11 year old doesn't feel a little underprivellaged. so they want to play a stupid game! i say give it to em! i don't want that kid too feel how i felt when i was 9 to 11. i was still in the cub scouts even though i didn't like it when i was 9. that was all sorts of dumb. we can all agree at one point or another enough is enough come on they allready know about the f-bomb, the doo-doo, the female dog, and heck so what's the difference of them saying it and us telling them not too????? it's dumb and unnessecary. i knew about cuss words when i was 7 years old. cencoring has gone too far and i don't want the games i play to be filled with a disclaimer saying something like "gameplay may change when online. esrb has not rated online play"

it's all going to be seen sooner or later.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

Second letter is BRILLIANT.

so you can't tell me that an 11 year old doesn't feel a little underprivellaged. so they want to play a stupid game! i say give it to em!

The COPPA legislation in the USA insists that children under the age of 13 must be handled in a certain way, so Jagex is going to have to obey the rules. Jagex could hardly pretend that they'd never noticed any under-13s in RuneScape.

(COPPA = Children's Online Privacy Protection Act)

It's clear that people under 13 want to play RS, and we all probably know one or two people in the game who lied about their age to create the account. I suppose it's better to have them playing "officially".

Besides, there's always TS or MSM :-)

COPPA has nothing to do with runescape. Runescape does not allow people under the age of 13 to play. If someone lies about their age and starts playing, jagex is not responsible. Besides Jagex is a British company and is not held responsible for laws enacted in a foreign country.

When quick-chat was introduced it stated that a click of the mouse could repeat phases without the need to retype. Great I said. We can now sell in the open market without the trouble of typing the same thing over and over. Well that was bunk. So I have not used the system since.

If it were a translation machine so people speaking different languages could communicate it would have been worth all the trouble that was taken in implementing it. If it had eliminated the need to retype it would have been great. But for now, it does nothing for me. It filled a need that didn't exist.

As long as it don't affect me, I have no opinion one way or the other.

I did have a proper response until my mouse went funny and highlighted all my prior comments just as I typed another couple of words... :wall:

Still, I might as well say that whilst I personally detest the impersonal, limiting and time-consuming method of communication that is QuickChat, I enjoyed reading both articles. The second was a more constructive analysis I felt, and but for the unfortunately frequent typos, I would hope that it could perhaps be posted on Jagex's own forums. We must I suppose live in the hope that Jagex may listen to someone wishing to suggest things for the good of the game!

I don't think it would work as a "pre-teen" comms system, simply because those intelligent enough to grasp all of runescape's finer details must surely be capable even if not willing to hold sensible conversations in a conventional format. Would it really satisfy them? I know I would've dodged the use of that system if it were imposed on me by Jagex - dodging a Birthday tester is as easy as dodging a menu of "13 or under", it'll just catch more people the first time round!

Anyway, as I said, good read and perhaps if posted enough times with enough forum support, QuickChat may change for the better before too long.