Do RS personal information rules apply to clans as well ??

tiggywee

Just a question really, to get some input back with regards to some recent clan activity I was subjected too......

I am a private person and do not give out private information freely as is advised on the internet for personal protection reasons and am well aware that Jagex also supports this view.

Well, I joined a clan ( actually a well-respected, long-standing clan as well )............

The first thing I apparently did wrong is did not tell the leader that I was related to another member......I regard this as personal information that was not relevant to joining the clan. This was "discovered" when the realised the two of us used the same IP - we have a wireless connection....and I was accused of being "secretive".

Then, out of the blue on friday night the leader of the clan began chatting to me in cc, asking where I was from, what I did for a living, what kind of car I had etc......etc..... He then openly said in clan chat taunting me that he knew my real name and started asking more personal questions that he could only have known if he had "googled" me.....like about my personal hobbies etc......

When I questioned him he said that he had every right to check people out that were going onto his site as he paid for it.

I felt personally violated and angry, and am mad that I was that upset at the time that I did not click on the "Report Abuse" button so that I captured the conversation to get the player in question reported to Jagex for his behaviour.

My main concern is for other members in the clan, clans are supposed to be fun, friendly communities, so understandably I left the clan immediately due to this behaviour.

Any comments would be appreciated as to whether you think this behaviour is acceptable ?

Thanks

Tiggy

Elite Skillers !!!!!!!!!!

Join today !!!!!!

1400 total level + 50+ or 1000 total level + 50-

Eliteskillers.csmsites.com

They should, but let's be honest, if you cant really be a family and not tell each other basic personal details such as first names. My clan even has a facebook group :lol: .

He probably did google you, because it's an easy way to find out multiclanners. No offence but it is your fault if you use your rsn on other sites where you share more info.

That's my view at least

He DOES NOT have any right of accusing you, however you have the right to not tell the info. It's alright being secretive, hell I used to be and against others, however a clan is a bit like a family, many people share things about each other.

22031_s.gif

Many clans are fairly relaxed with personal info, as they see each other as family. However, I've never encountered anything like that, and it was certainly unwarranted.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

There's a difference between knowing first names, and someone you don't know asking about personal relations, hobbies, where you are from, work/school and other more personal questions, especially when done in a taunting way in a public chat, and by someone you're not comfortable with and who don't respect your boundaries. You would have been in your full right to report him for asking about personal information, though I wouldn't have done that. However, I would (as you also did) have left the clan, as it wouldn't have been a place for me. I'm not super secretive, but I prefer choosing what I want to share with "everyone", and what I only want a few or noone to know. Maybe it has something to do with personality, but I like keeping real life and RuneScape "life" separated - not because I have anything to hide, but I think it is because I don't want to turn into some of my friends who are really into WoW and can't have normal conversations anymore. :lol:

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Yes and no, many people share their first names eventually or details about their lives but it's their choice. We don't force anyone to share but the majority do due to the sense of community, we've even had real life meetings.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

I personally do not care about sharing my personal info, as long as they are not asking for my credit number or something. :lol:

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I personally do not care about sharing my personal info, as long as they are not asking for my credit number or something. :lol:

Didn't you already give me that? :shame:

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Didn't you already give me that? :shame:

Nah, that was my social security number.

....Oh wait**** :wall:

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

No. I don't think that kind of behavior is acceptable.

I don't understand how that clan could be a "well-respected, longstanding clan" with that kind of a leader. He shouldn't care if you are related to another person in the clan and asking all those personal questions is just too much. I mean your personal life should not have anything to do with the Clan or RS unless you are a problem for either of them. He obviously could not know if you'd be a problem for the clan as he didn't even get to know you the "natural" way, by just letting you be in the clan for awhile and get to know you as the time goes.

I don't think I would report him but I would give him a lesson because he sounds like an idiot. I wouldn't report him only because I'd want to be nice to him but then again I wasn't there to see what he did so you must have your reasons for reporting him.

Personally, I'd say the Clan Leader did act stupid and over-stepped the boundaries of his 'authority'. Most of that information that you listed, is known by people in my clan, but I chose to reveal that information myself over a period of ~6 months, and I wasn't forced to reveal any information. After realising that you didn't want to say much about your RL status, the Leader should have backed off immediately and respected your privacy.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I think that the mistake of the clan leader was that he forced you to tell stuff. The IP thing is something common, because he probably was suprised a member joins with the same IP and wanted to know more of it.

Just say to him you feel unconfortable with it, and if he keeps doing it maybe consider searching another clan if it annoys you. :)

signature4s.jpg

Bottom line is that it should be your choice how much info your clan knows about you. Some people like to tell everyone their name and where they live, some people don't. As a clan leader he should be ashamed to have acted like that.

sigfinalcopy.jpg

True Ownage Co-Leader

evertonp.jpg

People in my clan know my name is Tom, that I'm a student in Belfast... and that's all they'll ever know apart from maybe 2 or 3 really close friends who I might talk to in private about my rl.

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.