Blast furnace guide

pizzalord1

Okay, I decided that not enough people appreciate the massive advantages to smithing at the blast furnace, so I'm creating this guide to spread awareness.

Requirements:

Ideal: Lv 60 smithing

Minimum:

30 agility (Working the belt)

30 firemaking (Shovelling)

30 crafting (Fixing)

30 strength (Pumping)

Why blast furnace?

For starters, one massive reason, using the furnace to smelt your ores costs half the coal used to create the bar. For example, steel would take just one peice of coal and iron to make a bar.

The next big reason is this, if there is a team of smithers, the smelting process is sped up dramatically over using any old furnace.

Factor in that it has its own ore shop up to mithril, anvils for 60+ users and an armor shop to sell any of your finished masterpeices to makes it very attractive.

Common misconceptions

"The furnace is far away from a bank, so its effectively useless."

Not true. Yes, it is far away from Keldagrim's west bank, but the ore shop makes it possible to unnote any ore up to mithril and coal as long as you have the money. (Covered later)

"The furnace only works if you have a team"

Its possible to solo the furnace, but its effectiveness does increase with more people around.

Real cons

Its far away from a bank, which makes it take a while to smith adamant or runite.

Its not free to use unless you're 60+ smithing. Costs 2500 to use the furnace to smelt ore for about 10 minutes, and you cannot acess the on site anvils unless you have 60+ smithing.

Not ideal to smith at unless you high alch everything or make stackable items.

The basics

The blast furnace is rather large, so listen well and you'll be able to make your way around it blindfolded.

screen1pf7.png

This is the ideal inventory, modelled by the lovely Pizzalord1. Boots of lightness, pennance gloves and a spottier cape as your equipment, with whatever ores you are smelting noted, a hammer and cash for unnoting your ores. Bring a fire staff and natures if you intend to high alch your smithed items.

Remember, you only need half the coal for whatever item you are smelting, so the cost for:

Iron: 100% smithed without ring of forging

Steel is 1 Iron ore, 1 Coal

Mithril is 1 Mithril ore, 2 Coal

Adamant is 1 Adamant ore, 3 Coal

Runite is 1 Runite ore, 4 Coal

The furnace

screen2vk9.png

To the north of the lovely Pizzalord is the melting pot, with the ramp leading to the conveyor belt just to the left. The lv 60+ anvils are to the far left, the stairs which you entered at are to the far right. Just north of the stairs is a water source and bucket used to cool your hot bars down, once they are dispened at the bar dispenser. The ore shop and armor shop are also here, talk to the dwarves.

screen3ch5.png

Here is the bulk of the actual furnace. To the right of Pizzalord is the air pump, coke oven, coke and shovel spawn. To the south are the pipes and the pressure reader for the boiler. To the north is a bycicle used to move the conveyor belt, and to the north offscreen is a hammer spawn.

To use the furnace

First off, unnote your selected ore at the shops by selling it to them, then buying it back. This costs a bit of money, but saves a lot of time in bank trips. Then, make your way up the ramp. Depending on how many people are with you and what they are doing, you might have to do the following.

The conveyor belt

The purpose of this is to move the ore into the furnace. Just click on the bike and ride it, this will drain your run energy by a point a second. A part of the conveyor belt might break, you will have to fix this by clicking on it with a hammer in your inventory. Riding the bike earns you agility exp.

Fuelling the boiler

Grab the shovel and get shovelling! Just click on the coke storage next to you and put the coke in the boiler to get it fired up. Get it to red if you can. Doing this gains you firemaking exp. Once you finish the task, drop the shovel.

Air pump

This is the job to keep an eye on. Once you start pumping, you will have to rotate your camera so that you can see the bar dispenser. If the fires are glowing hot, then once the air pressure hits a critical point, all the ores in the furnace at the time will be smelted. If you keep pumping, then the pressure will blow back in your face and cause 10 or so damage.

Occasionally while using the pump, the pipes will break and the pressure will drop until someone fixes them. If you are soloing the furnace, you will have to stop to fix them.

Retreving the bars

Grab the bucket from the stairs and fill it with water at the sink. Then, use the bucket on the ore dispenser to cool the bars down. Drop the bucket and grab your smelted bars. Then smith them at the anvils near the conveyor belt ramp.

Rinse and repeat as needed.

I hope you managed to get through that wall of text, and that this guide will give you better understanding of how to use the furnace effectively to make your smithing quicker, cheaper and easier. If there are any suggestions you want to make, go ahead! Knowing me, I've probably forgotten something. :roll:

quite a good guide

What I do, is I grab multiple shovles (like 3) click the choke that many times, then put it in the furnace.

63herb3-1.jpg

Rofl. My chair has a fridge, a cooler, a toilet, a shower, and a barbecue bulit in.

Hey, I may have quite Runescape, but I just bought an XBOX 360 and play way to much COD4 with the Gamertag Lava Mage

A thing you should add:

-When doing it with a team, all must bring noted ores and do not buy it from the store. This will cause ores prices to go up and the price to buy your ores back will increase. So only use your own ores in that case.

-Important is that you have to worldhop alot if you buy the coal from the store. As coal doesn't respawn that fast. A shame though..

-Could you calculate how much profit/loss you make with steel plates/mith plates or how much making a bar costs there?

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

i'm currently f2P, but i want to use bast furnace when i'm member.

how does it work on the blast furnace world? is there some sort of rotation? or do some players just perform 1 task the entire time?

they all put their ores in the furnace and then perform one task? or how does this happen?

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

• 1 month later...

to bad i only have 52 smithing :roll: if any one can tell me a fast way to 60 smithing i would love that <3: :oops: but any way 8/10 :thumbup:

NOTICE

IF U NOTICE THIS NOTICE THEN U WILL NOTICE THIS NOTICE IS NOT WORTH NOTICING JUST INCASE U HAPPEND TO NOTICE THIS NOTICE

• 2 weeks later...

You should maybe post on some ways to profit while using the Furnace, like making/alching steel plates or smithing something specific to sell.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

• 3 weeks later...